* bug or a general misunderstanding
@ 2021-11-10 12:00 andre_pohlmann
From: andre_pohlmann @ 2021-11-10 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello there

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place here.
Maybe it's a bug or a general misunderstanding of how GIT works.

The following situation: I wanted to create a branch from a commit. From
there on the work should be continued.

The possible bug:
The newly created branch is missing commits in the history. Not only are
they not displayed, the code changes are not present.
It doesn't matter if the branch is created by Visual Studio or GIT for
Windows.
Only in a branch created by GitHub Desktop the commits are present, as I
would expect.

Is this a bug or do I not understand how GIT works?

Best regards and thank you for the effort
André Pohlmann

* Re: bug or a general misunderstanding
@ 2021-11-10 14:33 ` Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason @ 2021-11-10 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andre_pohlmann; +Cc: git

On Wed, Nov 10 2021, andre_pohlmann@posteo.de wrote:

> Hello there
>
> I'm not sure if I'm in the right place here.
> Maybe it's a bug or a general misunderstanding of how GIT works.
>
> The following situation: I wanted to create a branch from a
> commit. From there on the work should be continued.
>
> The possible bug:
> The newly created branch is missing commits in the history. Not only
> are they not displayed, the code changes are not present.
> It doesn't matter if the branch is created by Visual Studio or GIT for
> Windows.
> Only in a branch created by GitHub Desktop the commits are present, as
> I would expect.
>
> Is this a bug or do I not understand how GIT works?
>
> Best regards and thank you for the effort
> André Pohlmann

Hi there.

The mailing list you contacted is the Git development mailing list. I
think it's fair to assume that you haven't run into a bug in git, but
are in need of more basic resources on the topic of Git.

Git's pretty good at retaining your data, if you can't find it after
saving it in git the reason for why is likely to be explained by an
introductory tutorial.

A good resource to start with is: https://git-scm.com/community

* Re: bug or a general misunderstanding
@ 2021-11-10 14:46 ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2021-11-10 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andre_pohlmann; +Cc: git

Hi André,

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021, andre_pohlmann@posteo.de wrote:

> The following situation: I wanted to create a branch from a commit. From there
> on the work should be continued.

I suspect that the command you used was `git branch <name> <commit>`? That
_creates_ the branch, but does not switch to it. You need to call `git
switch <name>` to switch the worktree to it. If you want to do all in one
go, use `git switch -c <name> <commit>`.

Ciao,
Johannes

@ 2021-11-10 18:27   ` andre_pohlmann
       [not found]     ` <YY2MXSZXIRSDLQCu@camp.crustytoothpaste.net>
From: andre_pohlmann @ 2021-11-10 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git

Hello Johannes,

Thanks for your ideas.

I have checked out the respective new branch and switched between the
original and the new, multiple times.
Otherwise I would not have noticed the lack of commits.

I have also set up a virtual machine, free of any IDE or GIT. There I
only installed Git for Windows and repeated the process via cmd. The
result is the same, there are missing commits in the history compared to
the original branch.

Best regards
André Pohlmann

@ 2021-11-15 10:56       ` andre_pohlmann
From: andre_pohlmann @ 2021-11-15 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brian m. carlson, andre_pohlmann, Johannes Schindelin, git

Hi,

Starting from the relevant branch

git branch TEST_1
git checkout TEST_1
git status

then

git checkout BBV ---- that is the original Branch
git branch TEST_2 ff2c8952 ---- the commit to check out from
git checkout TEST_2
git status

git branch --contains 48c8756e ---- the commit with the specific code

the result is that only TEST_1 is shown, not TEST_2.
It looks to me like the commit is missing.
When I look at the code, the lines in question are also missing.

@ 2021-11-15 21:08         ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2021-11-15 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andre_pohlmann; +Cc: brian m. carlson, Johannes Schindelin, git

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 10:56:00AM +0000, andre_pohlmann@posteo.de wrote:

> Starting from the relevant branch
>
> git branch TEST_1
> git checkout TEST_1
> git status

OK, so TEST_1 points at something. We don't know what, but from below,
it sounds like the BBV branch.

> then
>
> git checkout BBV ---- that is the original Branch
> git branch TEST_2 ff2c8952 ---- the commit to check out from

OK, so now TEST_2 is created from ff2c8952. But from the details you've
given, we don't know what relationship that has to what was on BBV, or
any other commit.

> git checkout TEST_2
> git status

And now it's our HEAD, though I don't think that matters, because...

> git branch --contains 48c8756e ---- the commit with the specific code

...this is asking which branches contain 48c8756e, and doesn't care
about HEAD at all.

> the result is that only TEST_1 is shown, not TEST_2.
> It looks to me like the commit is missing.

I can't say if this is a bug or not, without knowing the relationship
between 48c8756e and ff2c8952. Have you tried something like:

  git log --oneline --graph 48c8756e...ff2c8952

That should show you whether one is an ancestor of the other.

-Peff

* Re: bug or a general misunderstanding
@ 2021-11-16  9:01           ` andre_pohlmann
From: andre_pohlmann @ 2021-11-16  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: brian m. carlson, Johannes Schindelin, git

Good Morning Peff,

I am not sure how to interpret the result. I just get a graph displayed.
Does this refer to the current branch?

Is it possible that the commit 48c8756e is in the history of a branch
but not an ancestor of ff2c8952?
Would this mean that GIT ignores commits in the history if they are not
direct ancestors of the commit from which the branch is created?

And why is the behavior of creating the branch different compared to Git
Hub Desktop?

André