From: Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de>
To: Elijah Newren <newren@gmail.com>
Cc: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>,
	Derrick Stolee <derrickstolee@github.com>,
	Victoria Dye <vdye@github.com>
Subject: cone mode as default for sparse-checkout?, was Re: What's cooking in git.git (May 2022, #01; Mon, 2)
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 23:48:57 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

Hi Elijah,

On Thu, 5 May 2022, Elijah Newren wrote:

> On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 9:15 AM Elijah Newren <newren@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 8:56 AM Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> wrote:
> > >
> [...]
> > > I vaguely recall there were folks who didn't like the change of
> > > default the last time you brought this topic up.  Convincing them is
> > > not my job---it is yours.  Mine has been to help prepare the code
> > > ready for public consumption when that happens.
> >
> > That's a surprise to me; I don't remember anyone bringing that up,
> > ever.  Did I somehow miss it??  I'd be happy to talk to anyone and
> > hear their concerns if they do hold such an opinion.  Over the last
> > year or so both Stolee and Victoria have suggested such a change or
> > said they wondered why I didn't include such a change with other
> > sparse-checkout changes we were making, and I mentioned a few times I
> > thought it'd be a good future plan and finally submitted it.  To the
> > best of my memory, no one ever offered a counter opinion.
> >
> > Are you perhaps mixing this up with the case where people brought up
> > concerns with suggested tab-completion changes?  That's the only other
> > related series recently where folks brought up concerns with suggested
> > changes.
>
> So, I did a few searches through the list history for anyone that may
> have commented on cone mode as default.

FWIW even though I am a rather heavy user of non-cone mode (the structure
of Git for Windows' SDK does not lend itself to code mode, but e.g. for
the minimal SDK we use in our CI/PR build we definitely need a subset of
the otherwise too-clunky SDK), I am very much in favor of making cone-mode
the default.

Thanks,
Dscho