* switch "ms bind ipv6" default to "true"?
@ 2017-02-07 19:33 Ken Dreyer
From: Ken Dreyer @ 2017-02-07 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

In ceph-ansible we have to determine whether the user wants to bind to
IPv6 or not, and set "ms bind ipv6 = true".

Could we make this easier for users and simply have this as the
default option in Ceph? What is the downside to defaulting ms bind
ipv6 to true?

- Ken

* Re: switch "ms bind ipv6" default to "true"?
@ 2017-02-08 16:24 ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2017-02-08 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Dreyer, ceph-devel

> Op 7 februari 2017 om 20:33 schreef Ken Dreyer <kdreyer@redhat.com>:
>

> In ceph-ansible we have to determine whether the user wants to bind to
> IPv6 or not, and set "ms bind ipv6 = true".

Isn't it possible that this causes troubles when explicitly setting public and/or cluster network?

Wido

> Could we make this easier for users and simply have this as the
> default option in Ceph? What is the downside to defaulting ms bind
> ipv6 to true?
>
> - Ken

* Re: switch "ms bind ipv6" default to "true"?
@ 2017-02-08 16:59   ` Sage Weil
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Sage Weil @ 2017-02-08 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wido den Hollander; +Cc: Ken Dreyer, ceph-devel

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, Wido den Hollander wrote:

> > Op 7 februari 2017 om 20:33 schreef Ken Dreyer <kdreyer@redhat.com>:
> >

> > In ceph-ansible we have to determine whether the user wants to bind to
> > IPv6 or not, and set "ms bind ipv6 = true".
> >

> Isn't it possible that this causes troubles when explicitly setting
> public and/or cluster network?

Yeah.  But I think even more importantly, it assumes that the host is
using ipv6, which it might not be.  Currently the messenger *either* uses
ipv4 or ipv6, but it can't do both.

It's 2017 and probably time to make that default, but we'll need to
document it loudly and figure out how to make the upgrade process as
painless as we can.

sage

@ 2017-02-08 17:32     ` Ken Dreyer
From: Ken Dreyer @ 2017-02-08 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: Wido den Hollander, ceph-devel

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Sage Weil <sweil@redhat.com> wrote:
> Currently the messenger *either* uses
> ipv4 or ipv6, but it can't do both.

Oh, ok. I've updated the docs for this, https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/13317

* Re: switch "ms bind ipv6" default to "true"?
@ 2017-02-08 17:34     ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2017-02-08 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: Ken Dreyer, ceph-devel

> Op 8 februari 2017 om 17:59 schreef Sage Weil <sweil@redhat.com>:
>

> On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> >
> > > Op 7 februari 2017 om 20:33 schreef Ken Dreyer <kdreyer@redhat.com>:
> > >

> > > In ceph-ansible we have to determine whether the user wants to bind to
> > > IPv6 or not, and set "ms bind ipv6 = true".
> > >

> > Isn't it possible that this causes troubles when explicitly setting
> > public and/or cluster network?
>
> Yeah.  But I think even more importantly, it assumes that the host is
> using ipv6, which it might not be.  Currently the messenger *either* uses
> ipv4 or ipv6, but it can't do both.
>
> It's 2017 and probably time to make that default, but we'll need to
> document it loudly and figure out how to make the upgrade process as
> painless as we can.

Isn't there a way where we can default it to IPv4 for the Simple Messenger as that is what everybody is using now and default to IPv6 on AsyncMessenger?

Thinking out loudly here, don't know a way yet to work around it.

As you know I'm a huge fan and promoter of IPv6, so the earlier we do this the better.

Why run the future of storage with the a historic IP protocol? ;)

Wido

@ 2017-02-08 18:34     ` Daniel Swarbrick
From: Daniel Swarbrick @ 2017-02-08 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

On 08/02/17 17:59, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, Wido den Hollander wrote:
>>
>> Isn't it possible that this causes troubles when explicitly setting
>> public and/or cluster network?
>
> Yeah.  But I think even more importantly, it assumes that the host is
> using ipv6, which it might not be.  Currently the messenger *either* uses
> ipv4 or ipv6, but it can't do both.

Assuming that the cluster / public network has not been explicitly set,
can't we bind in such a way that it will accept either, i.e., bind an
IPv6 socket and setsockopt IPV6_V6ONLY = 0?

Most network daemons these days seem to be moving towards that trend. We
would just need to check for non-IPv6 capable IP stacks (seriously...?)
before the bind, in which case it's a moot point anyway.

* Re: switch "ms bind ipv6" default to "true"?
@ 2017-02-08 18:44       ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2017-02-08 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Swarbrick; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, Daniel Swarbrick wrote:
> On 08/02/17 17:59, Sage Weil wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> >>
> >> Isn't it possible that this causes troubles when explicitly setting
> >> public and/or cluster network?
> >
> > Yeah.  But I think even more importantly, it assumes that the host is
> > using ipv6, which it might not be.  Currently the messenger *either* uses
> > ipv4 or ipv6, but it can't do both.
>
> Assuming that the cluster / public network has not been explicitly set,
> can't we bind in such a way that it will accept either, i.e., bind an
> IPv6 socket and setsockopt IPV6_V6ONLY = 0?
>
> Most network daemons these days seem to be moving towards that trend. We
> would just need to check for non-IPv6 capable IP stacks (seriously...?)
> before the bind, in which case it's a moot point anyway.

It's not just the binding part; all ceph daemons advertise their address
to the rest of the system, and that address is either v4 or v6.  Only half
of the infrastructure to advertise multiple addrs is in place; the
AsyncMessenger still needs to be updated so that it will bind to both and
then also advertise both.

sage