* [Bluez-devel] Help getting Plugz going
@ 2007-04-02 11:12 Jasper Mackenzie
From: Jasper Mackenzie @ 2007-04-02 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-devel

Gidday.

I am trying to get a JABRA BT135 working on my mums laptop with limited
success.

Currently the older btsco way is 1/2 working, with mic working, poor
quality, but working.
  The 'speaker' bit ... reciving audio is not working, as in theres no
sound just a faint hiss, that starts and stops when the audio starts and
stops, with beeps from the headest at appropriate times to indicate that
it was recieving audio.
  btsco was run and compiled as per the Download and build instructions.

Due to the poor recording quality and the lack of playback, i figured that
plugz would be the way to go.

I googled as much as i could for a more comprehensive howto on install ing
and running Plugz, but only returned howtos for the btsco method,
Hence I am asking for help as to how to setup Plugz for an almost idiot.

What I tried:
  almost built from source, until i saw that debian has a bluetooth-alsa
package (Debian Unstable)
copied .asoundrc to the home and root directories, ran headsetd -n
then tried to connect to the headset via various methods. Sorry dont have
the box on hand, so i cant say what exact command i used to try and
connect to the headset, but none of them produced any output from
headsetd, and none produced any audio in te headset.

I wasnt sure whether or not I was to put the mac address of the headset in
the asoundrc file or not, and if so where. it looked like these things
were inherited from environmental variables.

so major concerns: what to do with asoundrc, how to run headsetd, and
connect to headset.

The bluetooth adaptor is a D-Link cf card in a pcmcia converter, it is the
HCI type (CSR) .. sorry all from crappy memory)

TIA

Jasper

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Help getting Plugz going
@ 2007-04-02 14:05 ` Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2007-04-02 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Jasper

> I googled as much as i could for a more comprehensive howto on install ing
> and running Plugz, but only returned howtos for the btsco method,

it sounds like you didn't see this one

http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/build.html

also, the sco flowcontrol patch should be applied even if you are using
the btsco method.

brad

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Help getting Plugz going
@ 2007-04-02 22:21 Jasper Mackenzie
From: Jasper Mackenzie @ 2007-04-02 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-devel

Thanks Brad,

> fwiw, I made some improvements and put a line in the asound.conf that
should help you see where to put the address.

That did the trick.
  AsI was testing over ssh I cant hear if audio actually came out or not.
If tomorrow when I go and try it for real and no sound comes out the
headset, asre there any other things I can try to get it to work?

mplayer spat out the following as it played, is this normal?:

DEBUG: _snd_pcm_sco_open: Starting pcm_sco plugin.
DEBUG: _snd_pcm_sco_open: Open mode is for Playback.
DEBUG: _snd_pcm_sco_open: opened as ioplug=0x8544588, pcm=0x85446c8,
ioplug->callback = 0xb7f3e740
DEBUG: sco_prepare: Preparing with io->period_size = 24, io->buffer_size =
48
AO: [alsa] 8000Hz 1ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
DEBUG: sco_pointer: returning bt_headset->hw_ptr=0
DEBUG: sco_pointer: returning bt_headset->hw_ptr=0
DEBUG: sco_write: areas->step=16, areas->first=0, offset=0, size=48,
io->nonblock=0
DEBUG: sco_write: time: seconds=1175551211 nseconds=475464284
DEBUG: sco_write: returning 24
DEBUG: sco_start:
DEBUG: sco_pointer: returning bt_headset->hw_ptr=24
DEBUG: sco_write: areas->step=16, areas->first=0, offset=24, size=24,
io->nonblock=0
DEBUG: sco_write: time: seconds=1175551211 nseconds=476009046
DEBUG: sco_write: returning 24
etc...

> most clients don't let you easily choose this device.

  Is there any workaround for Skype, the only application she wants this
for? Like a virtual device or something?
I cant even find a .skype directory, sneaky skype

@ 2007-04-02 20:50 ` Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2007-04-02 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Jasper

> The I did see this, but it left me with a few questions that I couldnt
> resolve:
>   "If you base your .asoundrc on the example alsa-plugins/asound.conf from
> cvs,
>    you can edit it and add your SCO headset address. Then change the alsa d
>    evice in xmms to headset and run /usr/bin/headsetd.
>    You should be able to use the headset at this point"
>
> I dont have the .asoundrc from cvs, just the example provided with the
> bluetooth-alsa source,
>   and looking at the file i wasn't sure where to add the headset adress,
> also
> I started /usr/bin/headsetd but what then?

fwiw, I made some improvements and put a line in the asound.conf that
should help you see where to put the address.

> Do i need to connect the headset with hcitool cc <addr>, i did this with
> no success
> Is the idea that headsetd, like with hidd, connects automatically when it
> sees the headset?
>   Sorry Ime not sure how to connect once headsetd is running.

headsetd will connect on demand when you use the audio device.

after your address is in .asoundrc, you can launch an alsa client and
set the alsa device to "headset" and try to use it. see the build page.
most clients don't let you easily choose this device.

> Are there any diagnostics that i can run to get an idea where the process
> is failing?

hcidump -X -V will have a lot of output, but in the dump you'll find the
occasional gem to figure out what is happening. I run it, try to do the
operation that is failing, then stop the dump and examine its output.

brad

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Help getting Plugz going
@ 2007-04-02 19:30 Jasper Mackenzie
From: Jasper Mackenzie @ 2007-04-02 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-devel

Cheers Brad,
> it sounds like you didn't see this one
> http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/build.html

The I did see this, but it left me with a few questions that I couldnt
resolve:
  "If you base your .asoundrc on the example alsa-plugins/asound.conf from
cvs,
   you can edit it and add your SCO headset address. Then change the alsa d
   evice in xmms to headset and run /usr/bin/headsetd.
   You should be able to use the headset at this point"

I dont have the .asoundrc from cvs, just the example provided with the
bluetooth-alsa source,
  and looking at the file i wasn't sure where to add the headset adress,
also
I started /usr/bin/headsetd but what then?
Do i need to connect the headset with hcitool cc <addr>, i did this with
no success
Is the idea that headsetd, like with hidd, connects automatically when it
sees the headset?
  Sorry Ime not sure how to connect once headsetd is running.

Are there any diagnostics that i can run to get an idea where the process
is failing?

> also, the sco flowcontrol patch should be applied even if you are using
the btsco method.

I did, it didnt make too much difference.

Thank you.

Jasper