* Question about WCN6855 firmware versions
@ 2022-10-04 17:06 jloretto70
From: jloretto70 @ 2022-10-04 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath11k

Hello,

I have a WCN6855 (hw2.1) card and am currently using the latest firmware files from the kernel.org repo which are labeled 3.6510.9 in the commit message. I see that there is a more recent set of files labeled 3.6510.16 in the GitHub repo for this card. Are these firmware files safe to use or is the best practice to wait until they land in the official kernel.org repo?

Thank you.

* Re: Question about WCN6855 firmware versions
@ 2022-10-11  7:57 ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2022-10-11  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jloretto70; +Cc: ath11k

jloretto70 <jloretto70@proton.me> writes:

> I have a WCN6855 (hw2.1) card and am currently using the latest
> firmware files from the kernel.org repo which are labeled 3.6510.9 in
> the commit message. I see that there is a more recent set of files
> labeled 3.6510.16 in the GitHub repo for this card. Are these firmware
> files safe to use or is the best practice to wait until they land in
> the official kernel.org repo?

For the end users I recommend using the ath11k firmware files from the
official linux-firmware unless you have a specific reason to update
(reporting a bug etc). That way there's more testing by the developers
before you get access to it.

I try update latest ath11k-firmware releases to linux-firmware roughly
every three months, so it really comes down to if you want run bleeding
edge or not.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches

* Re: Question about WCN6855 firmware versions
@ 2022-10-11 23:26   ` jloretto70
From: jloretto70 @ 2022-10-11 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: ath11k\@lists.infradead.org

That's very helpful. Thank you Kalle!