* btrfs userland interface isn't 32/64bit clean (breaks lsattr and btrfs send)
@ 2014-02-24  5:51 Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-02-24  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

I was trying to make sense out of this:
gargamel:~# lsattr
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./satapmtool
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./usbreset

As well as the btrfs send issue I reported:
gargamel:/mnt/btrfs_pool1# btrfs send media_ro.20140222_11:12:53 | less
At subvol media_ro.20140222_11:12:53
ERROR: send ioctl failed with -25: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I was trying to figure out why it was failing on one system while it was working
on my other ones with the same kernel.

In the end I pinned it down to this:
3.13.5's kernel/userland interface fails if my kernel is 64bit and my
userland 32bit.

lsattr and btrfs send, and maybe more things fail, but they started working
the moment I updated my kernel to 32bit

Is this difficult to fix?
Do I need to file bugs with some folks, or this mail is enough?

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/

* Re: btrfs userland interface isn't 32/64bit clean (breaks lsattr and btrfs send)
@ 2014-02-24  6:32 ` Duncan
From: Duncan @ 2014-02-24  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Marc MERLIN posted on Sun, 23 Feb 2014 21:51:03 -0800 as excerpted:

> In the end I pinned it down to this:
> 3.13.5's kernel/userland interface fails if my kernel is 64bit and my
> userland 32bit.

This is a known issue.  There's patches in the pipeline for 32-bit
userspace on a 64-bit kernel, already.

* Re: btrfs userland interface isn't 32/64bit clean (breaks lsattr and btrfs send)
@ 2014-02-24  8:29   ` Hugo Mills
From: Hugo Mills @ 2014-02-24  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duncan; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 06:32:14AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Marc MERLIN posted on Sun, 23 Feb 2014 21:51:03 -0800 as excerpted:
>
> > In the end I pinned it down to this:
> > 3.13.5's kernel/userland interface fails if my kernel is 64bit and my
> > userland 32bit.
>
> This is a known issue.  There's patches in the pipeline for 32-bit
> userspace on a 64-bit kernel, already.

   If you mean my recent patch, that's only for receive. I've not
noticed any other issues on my 32/64 system, but I've not done much
with it either (with btrfs, it's only really used for btrfs receive --
everything else is ext4).

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
         --- Welcome to Hollywood, a land just off the coast ---
                            of Planet Earth.

* Re: btrfs userland interface isn't 32/64bit clean (breaks lsattr and btrfs send)
@ 2014-02-24  8:43     ` Duncan
From: Duncan @ 2014-02-24  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hugo Mills posted on Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:29:38 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 06:32:14AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
>>
>> This is a known issue.  There's patches in the pipeline for 32-bit
>> userspace on a 64-bit kernel, already.
>
>    If you mean my recent patch, that's only for receive. I've not
> noticed any other issues on my 32/64 system, but I've not done much with
> it either (with btrfs, it's only really used for btrfs receive --
> everything else is ext4).

Thanks.  Yes, I believe that's what I had in mind.  So apparently there's
more needed.  (I /think/ I might have seen at least one additional patch
float by for 32/64, but as it's out of my usage domain I'm not paying
/that/ much attention to it, so perhaps not.)

* Re: btrfs userland interface isn't 32/64bit clean (breaks lsattr and btrfs send)
@ 2014-02-25  6:51       ` Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-02-25  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duncan; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 08:43:44AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Hugo Mills posted on Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:29:38 +0000 as excerpted:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 06:32:14AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> >>
> >> This is a known issue.  There's patches in the pipeline for 32-bit
> >> userspace on a 64-bit kernel, already.
> >
> >    If you mean my recent patch, that's only for receive. I've not
> > noticed any other issues on my 32/64 system, but I've not done much with
> > it either (with btrfs, it's only really used for btrfs receive --
> > everything else is ext4).
>
> Thanks.  Yes, I believe that's what I had in mind.  So apparently there's
> more needed.  (I /think/ I might have seen at least one additional patch
> float by for 32/64, but as it's out of my usage domain I'm not paying
> /that/ much attention to it, so perhaps not.)

In the meantime, if that helps someone, on debian it's trivial to get
64bit for some packages. All I had to do was this:
gargamel:/usr/src# dpkg --add-architecture amd64
gargamel:/usr/src# dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
amd64
gargamel:/usr/src# apt-get install e2fsprogs:amd64 btrfs-tools:amd64

And that's it.
Now I'm back in business with a 64bit kernel.

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901