* using same btrfs from diferent distros/kernels
@ 2014-04-11 14:19 Julio E. Gonzalez P.
From: Julio E. Gonzalez P. @ 2014-04-11 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

I have a multiboot PC with Centos 6.5, Fedora 20, and Ubuntu 13.10.
Also there is a btrfs partition I want to mount, read and write from the
3 diferent distros.

Is this "safe" ? Is the btrfs versions from this 3 distros compatible
between them ?
This is for testing and learning only.

Thanks.
Julio.

* Re: using same btrfs from diferent distros/kernels
@ 2014-04-11 17:58 ` Duncan
From: Duncan @ 2014-04-11 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Julio E. Gonzalez P. posted on Fri, 11 Apr 2014 10:19:45 -0400 as
excerpted:

> I have a multiboot PC with Centos 6.5, Fedora 20, and Ubuntu 13.10. Also
> there is a btrfs partition I want to mount, read and write from the 3
> diferent distros.
>
> Is this "safe" ? Is the btrfs versions from this 3 distros compatible
> between them ?
> This is for testing and learning only.

I've no idea what kernels all those distros ship with, but in general,
for some time now btrfs on-device format has been guaranteed forward
compatibility, but not necessarily backward compatibility (or the
reverse, from the kernel's perspective instead of the device's on-disk
format, backward compatibility since newer kernels can mount older on-
device-formats, but not forward compatibility since older kernels won't
necessarily mount newer on-device-formats without error).  That is, you
can always move to a newer kernel, but if there were changes in on-device
format between kernels, once mounted read/write with the newer kernel,
you aren't guaranteed that mounting with the older kernel will still be
error free.

Further, until very recently (kernel v3.13 IIRC), btrfs still being under
rather active development and bug-fixing, users are always encouraged to
run the latest stable kernel, as it will have fixes for known bugs that
affected earlier kernels.  So regardless of the distro you run, you want
to run a new kernel.

That said, with kernel v3.13, the btrfs kconfig option warning was toned
down quite a bit, and they're making stronger efforts to backport fixes
to stable now.  So in theory at least you should be able to run the
latest version of any stable-series kernel newer than v3.13 (tho still
with the forward compatibility only guarantee).  Active stable series
before that are likely to get fixes as they are making the backporting
effort now, but it's not guaranteed.

Of course v3.13 is still relatively new as the newest release is only the
v3.14 series, and to my knowledge nobody has yet taken up either v3.13 or
v3.14 as a longterm support kernel, so their stable series support is
likely to be rather short, but going forward it's still an important
turning point, as a year from now the current kernel will be perhaps
v3.19, and there's likely to be at least one v3.13+ longer term support
kernel available.

So bottom line, regardless of what distro(s) you run, you should be good
as long as you're running the latest stable kernel series on each.  And
from v3.13 on, you should be good as long as you're running /any/
currently active stable kernel series v3.13 or newer.  But in any case,
try to keep your kernels in sync between distros, because there is still
that one-way-compatibility-guarantee only.