* ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-10  8:08 Borislav Deianov
       [not found] ` <20040810080826.GD28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-10  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

This is the first public release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
laptops. The features currently supported are:

- hot keys (Fn key combinations)
- docking and undocking
- some basic fan speed control

Note that I've only tested on a ThinkPad X40 with the X4 UltraBase. I
suspect many other recent models are sufficiently similar to work with
this driver but I have no such reports yet.

I'll release this on the linux-thinkpad list as well, but I thought
I'd get some comments here first. This is my first foray into the ACPI
code, so do let me know if I'm doing something horribly wrong. :-)

(Sorry, no web page yet. One thing at a time.)

Thanks,
Boris

[-- Attachment #2: ibm-acpi-0.1.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 9694 bytes --]

* RE: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-10  8:24         ` Li, Shaohua
       [not found]           ` <B44D37711ED29844BEA67908EAF36F03860DC2-4yWAQGcml65pB2pF5aRoyrfspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Li, Shaohua @ 2004-08-10  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Deianov; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi,
IBM hotkey has a unique ID. In T40, it's 'IBM0068'. I guess other IBM
laptops also use it. Using a hardcode path in the patch possibly isn't a
good idea.
BTW, I'm interested in how can you know the meaning of 'DHKC', 'MHKC'
and etc. They are non-standard ACPI methods.

Thanks,
Shaohua

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-10  8:38             ` Borislav Deianov
       [not found]               ` <20040810083807.GF28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-10  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li, Shaohua; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:24:39PM +0800, Li, Shaohua wrote:

> IBM hotkey has a unique ID. In T40, it's 'IBM0068'. I guess other
> IBM laptops also use it. Using a hardcode path in the patch possibly
> isn't a good idea.

Agreed. I was originally using acpi_bus_register_driver() and refering
to devices by HID but that turned out to not work very well for the
dock (ACPI drops it if it's not present at boot) and embedded
controller (the ec driver has already grabbed it). So I switched to
looking things up by the path. I see your point, though, I'll see what
I can do.

> BTW, I'm interested in how can you know the meaning of 'DHKC',
> 'MHKC' and etc. They are non-standard ACPI methods.

Guesswork from the disassembled DSDT and trial and error...

Regards,
Boris

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found] ` <20040810080826.GD28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-10  8:43   ` Michael Wahlbrink
From: Michael Wahlbrink @ 2004-08-10  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi,
Borislav Deianov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is the first public release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
> laptops. The features currently supported are:
>
> - hot keys (Fn key combinations)

all working with my R32 without any special driver ;-)

> - docking and undocking
> - some basic fan speed control

seems to work too with the basic acpi stuff in 2.6 kernels

> Note that I've only tested on a ThinkPad X40 with the X4 UltraBase. I
> suspect many other recent models are sufficiently similar to work with
> this driver but I have no such reports yet.

Ok, I've a IBM ThinkPad R32 but no docking station, so I can't test it.

> I'll release this on the linux-thinkpad list as well, but I thought
> I'd get some comments here first. This is my first foray into the ACPI
> code, so do let me know if I'm doing something horribly wrong. :-)
>
> (Sorry, no web page yet. One thing at a time.)
Dont care, keep on hacking,

> Thanks,
> Boris
hth&cu
micha (who's glad to obviously don't need a special driver)

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]               ` <20040810083807.GF28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-10  9:19                 ` Takanori Watanabe
       [not found]                   ` <200408100919.SAA19847-yzSWc4HAx5xL9jVzuh4AOg@public.gmane.org>
From: Takanori Watanabe @ 2004-08-10  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Deianov; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

In message <20040810083807.GF28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>, Borislav Deianov wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:24:39PM +0800, Li, Shaohua wrote:
>>
>> IBM hotkey has a unique ID. In T40, it's 'IBM0068'. I guess other
>> IBM laptops also use it. Using a hardcode path in the patch possibly
>> isn't a good idea.
>
>Agreed. I was originally using acpi_bus_register_driver() and refering
>to devices by HID but that turned out to not work very well for the
>dock (ACPI drops it if it's not present at boot) and embedded
>controller (the ec driver has already grabbed it). So I switched to
>looking things up by the path. I see your point, though, I'll see what
>I can do.

Probably this may unable to work on other Thinkpads.
I have X31 and i1620, and there are some incompatibility on
AML between two.
Generic notify events Bus check, Device Wake, Eject request,
may have to be caught by enumrator.

>> BTW, I'm interested in how can you know the meaning of 'DHKC',
>> 'MHKC' and etc. They are non-standard ACPI methods.
>
>Guesswork from the disassembled DSDT and trial and error...

I wrote such driver for FreeBSD (though I don't implement
docking station).

http://www.init-main.com/acpi_tpkey/

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]                   ` <200408100919.SAA19847-yzSWc4HAx5xL9jVzuh4AOg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-10  9:45                     ` Borislav Deianov
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-10  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takanori Watanabe; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 06:19:20PM +0900, Takanori Watanabe wrote:

> I wrote such driver for FreeBSD (though I don't implement
> docking station).
>
> http://www.init-main.com/acpi_tpkey/

I'll have a look, thanks!

Boris

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-10  9:51     ` Borislav Deianov
       [not found]       ` <20040810095133.GA16382-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-10  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:47:04 +0000 (UTC) Michael Wahlbrink <linux.wali-Mmb7MZpHnFY@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Borislav Deianov wrote:
> >
> > - hot keys (Fn key combinations)
>
> all working with my R32 without any special driver ;-)

Good for you :-). Do they generate ACPI events or do they just do the
right thing? On the X40, Fn-F4 generates button/sleep, Fn-F7 switches
to external display by itself, the other keys do nothing.

Thanks,
Boris

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found] ` <20040810080826.GD28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-10 10:18 ` Paul Ionescu
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-10 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi Boris,

On a T41 it inserts in the kernel only if I replace _SB.GDCK with
_SB.PCI0.PCI1.DOCK.
If I don't, I get the following message:
insmod ./ibm_acpi.ko
insmod: error inserting './ibm_acpi.ko': -1 No such device

and in dmesg I found:
ibm_acpi: acpi_get_handle(\_SB.GDCK) failed

At a fist glance, hot-keys work, but the Fn-F5 does not enable bluetooth
anymore.
I will get back with more feedback.

Thanks,
Paul

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:08:26 -0700, Borislav Deianov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the first public release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
> laptops. The features currently supported are:
>
> - hot keys (Fn key combinations)
> - docking and undocking
> - some basic fan speed control
>
> Note that I've only tested on a ThinkPad X40 with the X4 UltraBase. I
> suspect many other recent models are sufficiently similar to work with
> this driver but I have no such reports yet.
>
> I'll release this on the linux-thinkpad list as well, but I thought
> I'd get some comments here first. This is my first foray into the ACPI
> code, so do let me know if I'm doing something horribly wrong. :-)
>
> (Sorry, no web page yet. One thing at a time.)
>
> Thanks,
> Boris

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found] ` <20040810080826.GD28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-10 10:43   ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2004-08-10 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Deianov; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 01:08 -0700, Borislav Deianov wrote:

> I'll release this on the linux-thinkpad list as well, but I thought
> I'd get some comments here first. This is my first foray into the ACPI
> code, so do let me know if I'm doing something horribly wrong. :-)

It (unsurprisingly) works well on my X40. I've added a script to use the
video switch to call i855switch (i810crt works badly on the X40). I'm
entertained to see that you're using the same workaround as me for video
corruption after closing the lid :)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]       ` <20040810095133.GA16382-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-10 10:52         ` Michael Wahlbrink
From: Michael Wahlbrink @ 2004-08-10 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Borislav Deianov wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:47:04 +0000 (UTC) Michael Wahlbrink <linux.wali-Mmb7MZpHnFY@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>>Borislav Deianov wrote:
>>
>>>- hot keys (Fn key combinations)
>>
>>all working with my R32 without any special driver ;-)
>

> Good for you :-). Do they generate ACPI events or do they just do the
> right thing? On the X40, Fn-F4 generates button/sleep, Fn-F7 switches
> to external display by itself, the other keys do nothing.

Same here, I've never used the Fn-F3 and Fn-F12 thing cause I don't need
them ..... wait, F3 and F12 are also not workin... :-( But the keys for
dimming the display (on a german Keyboard Fn-Pos1 and Fn-Ende and for
this cool little led-light Fn-Bild^ are working without a problem and
this are the usual buttons I use.....
so keep on hacking
thanks,
micha

ps: if there is some time I'll test the patch... (then F3 and F12 should
also generate acpi events??)

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-10 11:20           ` Paul Ionescu
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-10 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:52:53 +0200, Michael Wahlbrink wrote:

> ps: if there is some time I'll test the patch... (then F3 and F12 should
> also generate acpi events??)

Yes, they do.
ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001003 for Fn+F3 and
ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 0000100c for Fn_F12

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-10 11:37   ` Paul Ionescu
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-10 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi Boris,

Some more feedback from my T41.
First, the environment:
Fedora Core 2, Kernel 2.6.8-rc2 vanilla with acpica-20040715 patch.
This is the first version of kernel and acpi that does s3 suspend to ram
reliably on my T41. If you want my dsdt, just tell me and I will send you
privately, because PAN is not able to attach anything to news posts.
(maybe is not even possible).

now:
cd /proc/acpi/ibm
cat fan
current:        -1 -1 -1
preset1:        3000 3720 4410
preset2:        3120 3520 3800
preset3:        3120 3520 3800

and i found this in dmesg:
ibm_acpi: acpi_invokef(FAN9, d, ...) failed
ibm_acpi: acpi_invokef(FANB, d, ...) failed
ibm_acpi: acpi_invokef(FAND, d, ...) failed
ibm_acpi: acpi_invokef(FAN9, d, ...) failed
ibm_acpi: acpi_invokef(FANB, d, ...) failed
ibm_acpi: acpi_invokef(FAND, d, ...) failed

if I echo preset1 > fan, I got this in dmesg:

ibm_acpi: acpi_invokef(FANS, vddd, ...) failed
ibm_acpi: FANS(3000, 3720, 4410) failed

As for docking, I don't have the dock right now, but I'll test it some
other time.

The hotkey is the only thing working right now, but not completely.
Like I said before, the Fn+F5 should enable/disable the wlan AND the
bluetooth, but with this acpi driver, the bluetooth is not enabled any
more.
The bluetooth is an internal USB device, which gets connected and
disconnected from the USB bus when pressing Fn+F5:

usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using address 4
Bluetooth: HCI USB driver ver 2.6
usbcore: registered new driver hci_usb

> On a T41 it inserts in the kernel only if I replace _SB.GDCK with
> _SB.PCI0.PCI1.DOCK.
> If I don't, I get the following message:
> insmod ./ibm_acpi.ko
> insmod: error inserting './ibm_acpi.ko': -1 No such device
>
> and in dmesg I found:
> ibm_acpi: acpi_get_handle(\_SB.GDCK) failed
>
> At a fist glance, hot-keys work, but the Fn-F5 does not enable bluetooth
> anymore.
> I will get back with more feedback.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:08:26 -0700, Borislav Deianov wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is the first public release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
>> laptops. The features currently supported are:
>>
>> - hot keys (Fn key combinations)
>> - docking and undocking
>> - some basic fan speed control
>>
>> Note that I've only tested on a ThinkPad X40 with the X4 UltraBase. I
>> suspect many other recent models are sufficiently similar to work with
>> this driver but I have no such reports yet.
>>
>> I'll release this on the linux-thinkpad list as well, but I thought
>> I'd get some comments here first. This is my first foray into the ACPI
>> code, so do let me know if I'm doing something horribly wrong. :-)
>>
>> (Sorry, no web page yet. One thing at a time.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Boris

> 100pk Sonic DVD-R 4x for only $29 -100pk Sonic DVD+R for only $33
> Save 50% off Retail on Ink & Toner - Free Shipping and Free Gift.

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]     ` <pan.2004.08.10.11.49.38.39080-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-10 11:45       ` Alan Cox
       [not found]         ` <1092138355.16885.11.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
From: Alan Cox @ 2004-08-10 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Ionescu; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Maw, 2004-08-10 at 12:49, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> station. I also use idectl to enable my cdrom or secondary hard-disk in
> the UltraBay slim, but I have the following problems: DMA is not working
> any more for hdc after "idectl 1 rescan" After some rescan cycles I will
> have a lot of ide1 in /proc/ide/
>
> See http://bugme.osdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2261

The 2.4 kernel supports IDE device hotplugging. The 2.6 maintainer has
consistently refused to merge the change because some bits are ugly
but hasn't done anything else to move it forward either.

You need 2.4 for the ultrabay stuff to work properly right now.

Alan

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-10 11:49   ` Paul Ionescu
       [not found]     ` <pan.2004.08.10.11.49.38.39080-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-10 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Boris,

First, I want to apologize if this is a little bit off-topic for this
list, but I think that maybe this could be interesting for the others too.

 I saw that you use idectl for enabling the cdrom on the docking
station. I also use idectl to enable my cdrom or secondary hard-disk in
the UltraBay slim, but I have the following problems: DMA is not working
any more for hdc after "idectl 1 rescan" After some rescan cycles I will
have a lot of ide1 in /proc/ide/

See http://bugme.osdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2261

Do you have the same problems ?

@ 2004-08-10 12:55           ` Paul Ionescu
       [not found]             ` <20040810125506.38235.qmail-WT+Uy+Sd+T+A/QwVtaZbd3CJp6faPEW9@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-10 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi Alan,

As far as I remember, I had the same problems with
2.4.26. But I will try 2.4.27 these days.

You can easily try on your computer to do:
idectl 1 off
idectl 1 on

now see if hdparm -D1 /dev/hdc works anymore (assuming
you have something on /dev/hdc)

and also you will have two of ide1 in /proc/ide

Just give it a try if you have 2.4.x kernel.

Thanks,
Paul

--- Alan Cox <alan-qBU/x9rampVanCEyBjwyrvXRex20P6io@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Maw, 2004-08-10 at 12:49, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> > station. I also use idectl to enable my cdrom or
> secondary hard-disk in
> > the UltraBay slim, but I have the following
> problems: DMA is not working
> > any more for hdc after "idectl 1 rescan" After
> some rescan cycles I will
> > have a lot of ide1 in /proc/ide/
> >
> > See http://bugme.osdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2261
>
> The 2.4 kernel supports IDE device hotplugging. The
> 2.6 maintainer has
> consistently refused to merge the change because
> some bits are ugly
> but hasn't done anything else to move it forward
> either.
>
> You need 2.4 for the ultrabay stuff to work properly
> right now.
>
> Alan

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]             ` <20040810125506.38235.qmail-WT+Uy+Sd+T+A/QwVtaZbd3CJp6faPEW9@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-10 13:18               ` Alan Cox
       [not found]                 ` <1092143931.16979.19.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
From: Alan Cox @ 2004-08-10 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Ionescu; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Maw, 2004-08-10 at 13:55, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> now see if hdparm -D1 /dev/hdc works anymore (assuming
> you have something on /dev/hdc)
>
> and also you will have two of ide1 in /proc/ide
>
> Just give it a try if you have 2.4.x kernel.

Works perfectly for me with the last 2.4-ac tree.

Alan

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]                 ` <1092143931.16979.19.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-10 14:40                   ` Paul Ionescu
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-10 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi Alan,

Then I'll give it a try asap.
Can you please give me link to the latest -ac tree for
2.4.27, or the -ac tree you are using ?

Many thanks,
Paul

--- Alan Cox <alan-qBU/x9rampVanCEyBjwyrvXRex20P6io@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Maw, 2004-08-10 at 13:55, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> > now see if hdparm -D1 /dev/hdc works anymore
> (assuming
> > you have something on /dev/hdc)
> >
> > and also you will have two of ide1 in /proc/ide
> >
> > Just give it a try if you have 2.4.x kernel.
>
> Works perfectly for me with the last 2.4-ac tree.
>
> Alan

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-10 23:11     ` Borislav Deianov
       [not found]       ` <20040810231129.GN28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-10 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:21:04 +0000 (UTC) Paul Ionescu <i_p_a_u_l-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Some more feedback from my T41.

Thanks a lot, Paul, that was very helpful. It looks like I have some
work to do.

> If you want my dsdt, just tell me and I will send you privately,
> because PAN is not able to attach anything to news posts.  (maybe is
> not even possible).

If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate it. In the mean time, I'm
looking at a hacked one off http://acpi.sf.net, so it's not very
important.

> ibm_acpi: acpi_invokef(FAN9, d, ...) failed
> ibm_acpi: acpi_invokef(FANS, vddd, ...) failed

Interesting. It seems that the T41 has the fan presets but no methods
to use them. No standard ACPI fan device either. Does it actually have
a fan? :-) I don't think there's much I can do for now apart from
disabling the fan control.

> The hotkey is the only thing working right now, but not completely.
> Like I said before, the Fn+F5 should enable/disable the wlan AND the
> bluetooth, but with this acpi driver, the bluetooth is not enabled
> any more.

That was to be expected. The code for the hot keys usually does
something like this:

if hot key events enabled
	generate event
else
	invoke default hot key behaviour

In this case, the default behaviour is toggling bluetooth on and
off. This should be easy to fix, though - a /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
control would allow you to toggle the state from the ACPI handler for
Fn-F5.

> > On a T41 it inserts in the kernel only if I replace _SB.GDCK with
> > _SB.PCI0.PCI1.DOCK.

I'll make it look for that. As Shaohua noted, though, I'm not yet
scanning the PCI bus on the dock.

> I saw that you use idectl for enabling the cdrom on the docking
> station. I also use idectl to enable my cdrom or secondary hard-disk
> in the UltraBay slim, but I have the following problems: DMA is not
> working any more for hdc after "idectl 1 rescan" After some rescan
> cycles I will have a lot of ide1 in /proc/ide/
>
> See http://bugme.osdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2261
>
> Do you have the same problems ?

Yes, although I hadn't noticed DMA was off. I found all these posts
saying that both IDE and ACPI hot plugging are basically not supported
yet, so I was happy to get docking and undocking with the CD drive
working at all...

Thanks,
Boris

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]       ` <20040810231129.GN28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-10 23:32         ` Karol Kozimor
       [not found]           ` <20040810233238.GB16896-DETuoxkZsSqrDJvtcaxF/A@public.gmane.org>
From: Karol Kozimor @ 2004-08-10 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Deianov; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Thus wrote Borislav Deianov:
> In this case, the default behaviour is toggling bluetooth on and
> off. This should be easy to fix, though - a /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
> control would allow you to toggle the state from the ACPI handler for
> Fn-F5.

Consider doing that from the notify handler, I'd bet that's what the
Windows driver does.
Best regards,

--
Karol 'sziwan' Kozimor
sziwan-DETuoxkZsSqrDJvtcaxF/A@public.gmane.org

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-11  0:33           ` Paul Ionescu
       [not found]             ` <pan.2004.08.11.00.33.03.494809-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
       [not found]           ` <20040810233238.GB16896-DETuoxkZsSqrDJvtcaxF/A@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-11  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:32:38 +0200, Karol Kozimor wrote:
> Thus wrote Borislav Deianov:
>> In this case, the default behaviour is toggling bluetooth on and
>> off. This should be easy to fix, though - a /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
>> control would allow you to toggle the state from the ACPI handler for
>> Fn-F5.
>
> Consider doing that from the notify handler, I'd bet that's what the
> Windows driver does.
> Best regards,

But in this case I think it would be less flexible. Maybe somebody does
not want to enable bluetooth by default with Fn-F5, but only the wlan.
In windows you can specify what action to have for Fn-F5, like
enable/disable for bluetooth, wlan, or bluetooth+wlan.
If you enable/disable the bluetooth from notify handler, then
you could not just enable/disable the wlan with Fn-F5.

Thanks,
Paul

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]       ` <20040810231129.GN28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-11  0:48       ` Paul Ionescu
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-11  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:11:29 -0700, Borislav Deianov wrote:

> If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate it. In the mean time, I'm
> looking at a hacked one off http://acpi.sf.net, so it's not very
> important.

I've sent my dsdt to your email at sourceforge.

>> The hotkey is the only thing working right now, but not completely.
>> Like I said before, the Fn+F5 should enable/disable the wlan AND the
>> bluetooth, but with this acpi driver, the bluetooth is not enabled
>> any more.
>
> That was to be expected. The code for the hot keys usually does
> something like this:
>
> if hot key events enabled
> 	generate event
> else
> 	invoke default hot key behaviour
>
> In this case, the default behaviour is toggling bluetooth on and
> off. This should be easy to fix, though - a /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
> control would allow you to toggle the state from the ACPI handler for
> Fn-F5.

Yeap, that would do. I much prefer this option that hard-coding it in the
notify handler.

>> > On a T41 it inserts in the kernel only if I replace _SB.GDCK with
>> > _SB.PCI0.PCI1.DOCK.
>
> I'll make it look for that. As Shaohua noted, though, I'm not yet
> scanning the PCI bus on the dock.
Yes, I know that. I managed to test a T50p in a dock, but it doesn't work
as expected. So there may be some IBM magic added in here.

>> Do you have the same problems ?
>
> Yes, although I hadn't noticed DMA was off. I found all these posts
> saying that both IDE and ACPI hot plugging are basically not supported
> yet, so I was happy to get docking and undocking with the CD drive
> working at all...

Well, they are not supported, but somewhat working half way.
Anyway, if you put a secondary hard disk in the bay as I do, then you WILL
want DMA for sure.

Thanks,
Paul

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found] ` <20040810080826.GD28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-11  1:01 ` Paul Ionescu
       [not found]   ` <pan.2004.08.11.01.01.25.610270-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-11  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:08:26 -0700, Borislav Deianov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the first public release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
> laptops. The features currently supported are:
>
> - hot keys (Fn key combinations)
> - docking and undocking
> - some basic fan speed control

Hi Boris,

I found this in the README file:

TODO
----
The following features are planned but not yet implemented:
- LCD on/off switching
- LCD / external display switching
- LED status and control

Other features I'd like to support but don't yet have any information
on:
- TrackPoint tap enable/disable
- motion sensor support

And I can add more ideas to it:

Methods for adjusting LCD brightness and sound volume, and then we can use
an external keyboard to control them. (something like
/proc/acpi/ibm/brightness and /proc/acpi/ibm/volume )

Method to soft eject/insert the device in UltraBay, and capture the event
generated by the pull-off device-from-bay  button.

As for the tapping on Trackpoint, I think it can be programed with the
synaptic driver which can do more than that.
See: http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/

And the motion sensor I don't think is an acpi device.

Thanks,
Paul

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]           ` <20040810233238.GB16896-DETuoxkZsSqrDJvtcaxF/A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-11  1:21             ` Borislav Deianov
       [not found]               ` <20040811012143.GO28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-11  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karol Kozimor; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 01:32:38AM +0200, Karol Kozimor wrote:
> Thus wrote Borislav Deianov:
> > In this case, the default behaviour is toggling bluetooth on and
> > off. This should be easy to fix, though - a /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
> > control would allow you to toggle the state from the ACPI handler for
> > Fn-F5.
>
> Consider doing that from the notify handler, I'd bet that's what the
> Windows driver does.

That'd be easier but a lot less flexible. Besides, I'd like to expose
the bluetooth presence and status to user space anyway. Any particular
reason not to give full control to user space? That'd be more in line
with how the other keys work, too. All of them now just generate ACPI
events and it's up to the acpid handler to make them do whatever is
necessary. I find that very useful for taking pre- and post-event
actions, or for remapping keys.

Thanks,
Boris

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]   ` <pan.2004.08.11.01.01.25.610270-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-11  1:44     ` Erik Tews
From: Erik Tews @ 2004-08-11  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Ionescu; +Cc: Acpi Devel

Am Mi, den 11.08.2004 schrieb Paul Ionescu um 3:01:
> Method to soft eject/insert the device in UltraBay, and capture the event
> generated by the pull-off device-from-bay  button.

This would be really fine, I don't want to reboot everytime I switch
between cd-writer and extra battery.

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]               ` <20040811012143.GO28939-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-11  7:30                 ` Karol Kozimor
From: Karol Kozimor @ 2004-08-11  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Deianov; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Thus wrote Borislav Deianov:
> That'd be easier but a lot less flexible. Besides, I'd like to expose
> the bluetooth presence and status to user space anyway. Any particular
> reason not to give full control to user space? That'd be more in line

No, none at all, control from userspace is needed too.

> with how the other keys work, too. All of them now just generate ACPI
> events and it's up to the acpid handler to make them do whatever is
> necessary. I find that very useful for taking pre- and post-event
> actions, or for remapping keys.

>From my experience, users find it confusing if something works before the
module loads but stops afterwards (and that would be common since you can't
force a sane configuration, especially that you'll probably find machines
that do the BT stuff differently).
Best regards,

--
Karol 'sziwan' Kozimor
sziwan-DETuoxkZsSqrDJvtcaxF/A@public.gmane.org

* Re: Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]             ` <pan.2004.08.11.00.33.03.494809-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-11  7:47               ` Karol Kozimor
From: Karol Kozimor @ 2004-08-11  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Ionescu; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Thus wrote Paul Ionescu:
> > Consider doing that from the notify handler, I'd bet that's what the
> > Windows driver does.
> But in this case I think it would be less flexible. Maybe somebody does
> not want to enable bluetooth by default with Fn-F5, but only the wlan.
> In windows you can specify what action to have for Fn-F5, like
> enable/disable for bluetooth, wlan, or bluetooth+wlan.
> If you enable/disable the bluetooth from notify handler, then
> you could not just enable/disable the wlan with Fn-F5.

It's still easier to do that from the notify handler and provide an
interface to enable / disable the specific bits at user request. By moving
it completely to userspace you add another layer of redirection which most
users won't need (as they don't give a damn about writing and configuring
glue scripts) as opposed to having your driver do as expected for most
non-developers. As I said, it's easy to come up with an interface to change
the default behaviour if anybody should wish so.
Best regards,

--

@ 2004-08-11  9:38       ` Paul Ionescu
       [not found]         ` <pan.2004.08.11.09.38.47.140647-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-11  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 03:44:11 +0200, Erik Tews wrote:
> Am Mi, den 11.08.2004 schrieb Paul Ionescu um 3:01:
>> Method to soft eject/insert the device in UltraBay, and capture the event
>> generated by the pull-off device-from-bay  button.
>
> This would be really fine, I don't want to reboot everytime I switch
> between cd-writer and extra battery.

Hi Erik,

Even now, without proper ACPI support, you don't have to reboot your
thinkpad to do that.
If you are using an ACPI enabled kernel, then you can just
"idectl 1 off"
pull out your cdrom
insert your battery
use the battery
eject the battery
insert the cdrom
"idectl 1 on" or "idectl 1 rescan"
use the cdrom

however the DMA on the cdrom will not work because of this bug:
 http://bugme.osdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2261

Also, you can use hotplug utility instead of idectl.

Good luck,
Paul

* Re: Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-11  9:44                 ` Paul Ionescu
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-11  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:47:17 +0200, Karol Kozimor wrote:

> Thus wrote Paul Ionescu:
>> > Consider doing that from the notify handler, I'd bet that's what the
>> > Windows driver does.
>> But in this case I think it would be less flexible. Maybe somebody does
>> not want to enable bluetooth by default with Fn-F5, but only the wlan.
>> In windows you can specify what action to have for Fn-F5, like
>> enable/disable for bluetooth, wlan, or bluetooth+wlan.
>> If you enable/disable the bluetooth from notify handler, then
>> you could not just enable/disable the wlan with Fn-F5.
>
> It's still easier to do that from the notify handler and provide an
> interface to enable / disable the specific bits at user request. By moving
> it completely to userspace you add another layer of redirection which most
> users won't need (as they don't give a damn about writing and configuring
> glue scripts) as opposed to having your driver do as expected for most
> non-developers. As I said, it's easy to come up with an interface to change
> the default behaviour if anybody should wish so.
> Best regards,

Well, in this case I don't have any other comments/complains for doing it
in the notify handler.

Thanks,
Paul

* Re: Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]         ` <pan.2004.08.11.09.38.47.140647-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-11 12:16           ` Erik Tews
From: Erik Tews @ 2004-08-11 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Am Mi, den 11.08.2004 schrieb Paul Ionescu um 11:38:
> Even now, without proper ACPI support, you don't have to reboot your
> thinkpad to do that.
> If you are using an ACPI enabled kernel, then you can just
> "idectl 1 off"
> pull out your cdrom
> insert your battery
> use the battery
> eject the battery
> insert the cdrom
> "idectl 1 on" or "idectl 1 rescan"
> use the cdrom

Cool, this works.

> however the DMA on the cdrom will not work because of this bug:
>  http://bugme.osdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2261

Yes, same thing here, running 2.6.8-rc3 with acpi-patch.

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-14  5:34                 ` Borislav Deianov
       [not found]                   ` <20040814053410.GN20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-14  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:53:03 +0000 (UTC) Karol Kozimor <sziwan-DETuoxkZsSqrDJvtcaxF/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> It's still easier to do that from the notify handler and provide an
> interface to enable / disable the specific bits at user request. By moving
> it completely to userspace you add another layer of redirection which most
> users won't need (as they don't give a damn about writing and configuring
> glue scripts) as opposed to having your driver do as expected for most
> non-developers. As I said, it's easy to come up with an interface to change
> the default behaviour if anybody should wish so.

Come to think of it, that interface already exists. Here is what the
DSDT does for Fn-F5 (I slightly oversimplified in my previous
message):

if a particular bit is set in the mask
	if hot key events are enabled
        	generate ACPI event
else
        invoke default hot key behaviour

This means that if the driver leaves the mask alone on insmod, the
function keys will continue with their default behavior (e.g. Fn-F5
will toggle bluetooth, Fn-F7 will switch the screens, etc.). Once the
mask is set to include the relevant bits, the default behavior is
stopped and instead ACPI events are generated.

Version 0.1 set the mask on insmod for convenience, but the plan is to
not do that in 0.2. If you want hotkey events, after insmod you'll
have to:

echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
echo ffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey

How's that?

Boris

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]   ` <pan.2004.08.11.01.01.25.610270-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-14  5:38   ` Borislav Deianov
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-14  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:16:04 +0000 (UTC) Paul Ionescu <i_p_a_u_l-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> TODO
> ----
> And I can add more ideas to it:
>
> Methods for adjusting LCD brightness and sound volume, and then we can use
> an external keyboard to control them. (something like
> /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness and /proc/acpi/ibm/volume )
>
> Method to soft eject/insert the device in UltraBay, and capture the event
> generated by the pull-off device-from-bay  button.

Sounds good. I don't know how to do any of that yet, but I'll give it
a try.

Boris

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]                   ` <20040814053410.GN20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-14 13:36                     ` Karol Kozimor
From: Karol Kozimor @ 2004-08-14 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Thus wrote Borislav Deianov:
> if a particular bit is set in the mask
> 	if hot key events are enabled
>         	generate ACPI event
> else
>         invoke default hot key behaviour
>
> This means that if the driver leaves the mask alone on insmod, the
> function keys will continue with their default behavior (e.g. Fn-F5
> will toggle bluetooth, Fn-F7 will switch the screens, etc.). Once the
> mask is set to include the relevant bits, the default behavior is
> stopped and instead ACPI events are generated.

I guess it might still be a good way to go with both, i.e. do the AML magic
to turn the device on _and_ generate an event in case the user wanted to
run hciattach for example. On the other hand, if that's a USB device
hotplug may suffice.
Best regards,

--

@ 2004-08-14 14:34                   ` Paul Ionescu
       [not found]                     ` <pan.2004.08.14.14.34.33.639754-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-14 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:34:10 -0700, Borislav Deianov wrote:
> Come to think of it, that interface already exists. Here is what the
> DSDT does for Fn-F5 (I slightly oversimplified in my previous
> message):
>
> if a particular bit is set in the mask
> 	if hot key events are enabled
>         	generate ACPI event
> else
>         invoke default hot key behaviour
>
> This means that if the driver leaves the mask alone on insmod, the
> function keys will continue with their default behavior (e.g. Fn-F5
> will toggle bluetooth, Fn-F7 will switch the screens, etc.). Once the
> mask is set to include the relevant bits, the default behavior is
> stopped and instead ACPI events are generated.
>
> Version 0.1 set the mask on insmod for convenience, but the plan is to
> not do that in 0.2. If you want hotkey events, after insmod you'll
> have to:
>
> echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
> echo ffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
>
> How's that?
>
> Boris

Hi Boris,

Right now, I am using the way you mentioned above, with the hotkey mask,
but it does not provide enough flexibility.
That is because now I can have one or another, but I cannot have both.
What should I do if I want to activate both bluetooth and wireless ?
I have to enable bluetooth AND have an hotkey event for activating the
wireless, because by default is taken care only of the USB bluetooth, but
nothing is done for the wireless.

Thanks,
Paul

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]                     ` <pan.2004.08.14.14.34.33.639754-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-14 15:09                       ` Takanori Watanabe
       [not found]                         ` <200408141509.i7EF9v9K083464-QgXWv67w4UhH1774QXjzbtBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
From: Takanori Watanabe @ 2004-08-14 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Ionescu; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

In message <pan.2004.08.14.14.34.33.639754-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>, Paul Ionescu ^[$B$5$s$$$o$/^[(B:

>> How's that?
>>
>> Boris
>
>Hi Boris,
>
>Right now, I am using the way you mentioned above, with the hotkey mask,
>but it does not provide enough flexibility.
>That is because now I can have one or another, but I cannot have both.
>What should I do if I want to activate both bluetooth and wireless ?

Make wireless interface up and activate Bluetooth by executing
blutooth activating method:-).

>I have to enable bluetooth AND have an hotkey event for activating the
>wireless, because by default is taken care only of the USB bluetooth, but
>nothing is done for the wireless.

Wireless LED seems to be connected to MINI PCI GPIO register.

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found]                         ` <200408141509.i7EF9v9K083464-QgXWv67w4UhH1774QXjzbtBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-14 15:20                           ` Paul Ionescu
       [not found]                             ` <20040814152051.54002.qmail-k4S4SYk0aM6A/QwVtaZbd3CJp6faPEW9@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-14 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takanori Watanabe; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

--- Takanori Watanabe <takawata-PURzwyb9WQGaMJb+Lgu22Q@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> >Right now, I am using the way you mentioned above,
> with the hotkey mask,
> >but it does not provide enough flexibility.
> >That is because now I can have one or another, but
> I cannot have both.
> >What should I do if I want to activate both
> bluetooth and wireless ?
>
> Make wireless interface up and activate Bluetooth by
> executing
> blutooth activating method:-).

To make wireless interface up, I need the hotkey
event.
Anyway, this will be solved in next release.

> >I have to enable bluetooth AND have an hotkey event
> for activating the
> >wireless, because by default is taken care only of
> the USB bluetooth, but
> >nothing is done for the wireless.
>
> Wireless LED seems to be connected to MINI PCI GPIO
> register.

I know.
Atheros drivers will take care of that if compiled
with a special option.

* Re: Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-14 15:36                               ` Takanori Watanabe
From: Takanori Watanabe @ 2004-08-14 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Ionescu; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

In message <20040814152051.54002.qmail-k4S4SYk0aM6A/QwVtaZbd3CJp6faPEW9@public.gmane.org>, Paul Ionescu
wrote:

>> >Right now, I am using the way you mentioned above,
>> with the hotkey mask,
>> >but it does not provide enough flexibility.
>> >That is because now I can have one or another, but
>> I cannot have both.
>> >What should I do if I want to activate both
>> bluetooth and wireless ?
>>
>> Make wireless interface up and activate Bluetooth by
>> executing
>> blutooth activating method:-).
>
>To make wireless interface up, I need the hotkey
>event.
>Anyway, this will be solved in next release.

Hmm, SBDC, GBDC method under HKEY device may be related.
SBDC takes two mask value.( 0x2 seems Wireless lan related and
0x4 is Bluetooth attach method, it seems).
I tried to activate wireless lan in my environment by calling the
method.
But the wireless LED was not changed so I imageine that it is
not useless for wireless LAN.

>> Wireless LED seems to be connected to MINI PCI GPIO
>> register.
>
>I know.
>Atheros drivers will take care of that if compiled
>with a special option.

Ok, I'm sorry.

* ibm-acpi-0.2
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-08-14 21:12 ` Borislav Deianov
       [not found]   ` <20040814211247.GS20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-14 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel, linux-thinkpad

Hi,

This is the second alpha release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
laptops. The features currently supported are:

	- Fn key combinations
	- Bluetooth enable and disable
	- limited docking and undocking

So far, it has been tested on several T and X series ThinkPads. I
appreciate any user reports, either successful or unsuccessful. Please
see the included README for more information.

Changes since 0.1:

	- fixed problems preventing insmod on the T series and the X20
	- implemented bluetooth enable/disable
	- hotkey events are disabled by default, need explicit enable
	- fixed compilation problem on vanilla 2.6.7
	- dropped fan control, was useless in its current state

(Sorry, no web page yet. One thing at a time.)

Thanks,
Boris

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.2
       [not found]   ` <20040814211247.GS20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-14 21:15     ` Borislav Deianov
       [not found]       ` <20040814211541.GT20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-14 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	linux-thinkpad-l7BEYHA5S10i5T99jlK1Sh2eb7JE58TQ

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 02:12:47PM -0700, borislav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is the second alpha release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
> laptops. The features currently supported are:

Argh, forgot to actually attach the .tar.gz.

Boris

[-- Attachment #2: ibm-acpi-0.2.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 16517 bytes --]

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-14 21:23                                 ` Borislav Deianov
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-14 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:41:20 +0000 (UTC) Takanori Watanabe <takawata-PURzwyb9WQGaMJb+Lgu22Q@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hmm, SBDC, GBDC method under HKEY device may be related.
> SBDC takes two mask value.( 0x2 seems Wireless lan related and
> 0x4 is Bluetooth attach method, it seems).

That's what I'm using to control bluetooth in 0.2. As far as I can
tell, 0x2 turns bluetooth on and off, but I have no idea what 0x4
does. It doesn't seem to affect the wireless in any way, so I think
it's also bluetooth-related. I've left it as "unknown" in
/proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth, hopefully somebody who has bluetooth support
and devices can figure out what it does.

Boris

* R31
       [not found]       ` <20040814211541.GT20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-14 23:40         ` Bernd Schubert
From: Bernd Schubert @ 2004-08-14 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hello Boris,

> > This is the second alpha release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
> > laptops. The features currently supported are:
>
> Argh, forgot to actually attach the .tar.gz.

thanks a lot for programming the ibm-acpi support.

I guess my R31 is currently not yet supported, well since no path could be
found ibm_acpi first could not be loaded. Without further knowledge of what
I'm doing ;-) I added an entry for it:

char *ibm_hkey_paths[] = {
        "\\_SB.PCI0.ISA.EC.HKEY", /* X20 */
        "\\_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HKEY", /* X31, X40, T30, T40, T41 */
        "\\_SB.PCI0.ICH3.HKEY", /* R31 */
        NULL,
};

Could you please verify from the attached deassembled dstd if this is correct?

The next problem to load the module was docking support, though the R31 has a
docking slot I'm not so sure if docking is supported at all.For a first test
and to get the module loading I simply removed the hole docking stuff from
"struct ibm_struct ibms".
This worked, but has to be improved of course.

No I can enable hotkey, but setting any mask fails:

beno:/proc/acpi/ibm# cat hotkey
state:          disabled
mask:           0000
commands:       enable, disable, reset, <mask>

beno:/proc/acpi/ibm# echo enable >hotkey
beno:/proc/acpi/ibm# cat hotkey
state:          enabled
mask:           0000
commands:       enable, disable, reset, <mask>

beno:/proc/acpi/ibm# echo "ffff" >hotkey
beno:/proc/acpi/ibm# cat hotkey
state:          enabled
mask:           0000
commands:       enable, disable, reset, <mask>

The most wanted feature from my side is certainly fan control. After I sent my
R31 to repair last summer since it got much to hot, IBM rejusted the fan
control which made the fan running permanently, though they only needed to
make the cooler fitting properly on the cpu.

In v0.1 there was some basic fan control stuff, unfortunality I currently have
no access to those sources to compare what happend with it. Is there any
chance to get this working? As I really hate noisy fans, I'm willing to
investigate time to get some basic fan control, I just need a pointer into
the right direction.

Thanks,
	Bernd

[-- Attachment #2: dsdt.asl.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 14280 bytes --]

* Re: [ltp] ibm-acpi-0.2
       [not found]   ` <20040814211247.GS20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-15  8:19     ` Dax Kelson
From: Dax Kelson @ 2004-08-15  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-thinkpad-l7BEYHA5S10i5T99jlK1Sh2eb7JE58TQ
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	borislav-Rn4VEauK+AKRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 15:12, Borislav Deianov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is the second alpha release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
> laptops. The features currently supported are:
>
> 	- Fn key combinations
> 	- Bluetooth enable and disable

Without your driver, Bluetooth enable/disable already works fine on my
T42p.

When I press Fn+F5, the led lights up and the following messages show up
in dmesg:

usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
Bluetooth: Core ver 2.6
NET: Registered protocol family 31
Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: HCI USB driver ver 2.6
usbcore: registered new driver hci_usb

When I press Fn+F5 again, the led turns off and I get:

usb 4-1: USB disconnect, address 2

Does it work differently on older ThinkPads? Can I use your driver
without messing up the already working Bluetooth enable/disable?

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.2
@ 2004-08-15  8:47       ` Borislav Deianov
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-15  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dax Kelson; +Cc: linux-thinkpad, acpi-devel

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 02:19:21AM -0600, Dax Kelson wrote:

> Does it work differently on older ThinkPads? Can I use your driver
> without messing up the already working Bluetooth enable/disable?

Yes, you can. When you first load the driver, Fn-F5 will continue to
work the same way. If you then enable hotkey events and set the mask
to include Fn-F5 (see the README for the full details), Fn-F5 will
instead generate an ACPI event. Using acpid, you can set a script to
run on this event. You can do whatever you want in the script,
including controlling Bluetooth via /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth.

Regards,
Boris

* Re: [ltp] ibm-acpi-0.2
@ 2004-08-15  9:48       ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2004-08-15  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f
  Cc: linux-thinkpad-l7BEYHA5S10i5T99jlK1Sh2eb7JE58TQ

On 15 Aug 2004, Dax Kelson wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 15:12, Borislav Deianov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is the second alpha release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
>> laptops. The features currently supported are:
>>
>> 	- Fn key combinations
>> 	- Bluetooth enable and disable
>
> Without your driver, Bluetooth enable/disable already works fine on my
> T42p.

[...]

> Does it work differently on older ThinkPads?

Yes. My A31p, at least, will only enable the Bluetooth adapter when I
hit a dedicated hardware button on the screen.

This module, presumably, will allow me to control it from software, just
like Windows does.

     Daniel
--
CAUTION: This product exerts a force on every other object in the
Universe, proportional to the product of their masses divided by the

* hotkey/video framework [was: ibm-acpi-0.2]
       [not found]   ` <20040814211247.GS20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-15 14:41     ` Hiroshi Miura
       [not found]       ` <873c2obh0l.wl%miura-yiisDzvROlQdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Hiroshi Miura @ 2004-08-15 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Deianov, Karol Kozimor, julien.lerouge-GANU6spQydw,
	John Belmonte
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	letsnote-tech-eXqGM+LsbTTAqL8d+zIrHngSJqDPrsil

Hi,

'Fn key combination' is common on machines,
so I think we need some abstraction layer or framework on acpi core.

I wrote acpi driver for Panasonic Let's note laptops recentry.
It supports lcd brightness control and hotkey.
Toshiba and asus driver also support hotkey combination.

How do you think about hotkey framework?
Does anyone already work for it?

eg)

proc interface:
/proc/acpi/hotkey/keymap   --- key num - event meaning map
/proc/acpi/hotkey/mask     --- hotkey enable/disable mask.
/proc/acpi/event           --- send hotkey event to acpid
/proc/acpi/video/lcd/brightness  --- control lcd brightness
/proc/acpi/video/outdev    --- control video output (lcd/crt)
/proc/acpi/ibm/*           --- vendor specific devices conrol

Source tree:
drivers/acpi/video.c      -- video/lcd abstraction driver.
drivers/acpi/hotkey.c     -- hotkey abstraction driver.
drivers/acpi/oem/asus_acpi.c
drivers/acpi/oem/toshiba-acpi.c
drivers/acpi/oem/pcc-acpi.c
drivers/acpi/oem/ibm-acpi.c    -- vendor specific drivers.
				which implement hotkey, video, and lcd etc.

At Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:12:47 -0700,
Borislav Deianov wrote:

> This is the second alpha release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
> laptops. The features currently supported are:
>
> 	- Fn key combinations
> 	- Bluetooth enable and disable
> 	- limited docking and undocking

--
Hiroshi Miura  --- http://www.da-cha.org/  --- miura-yiisDzvROlQdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org
NTTDATA Corp. OpenSource Software Center. --- miurahr-3MafRgGXt7BL9jVzuh4AOg@public.gmane.org

* Re: hotkey/video framework [was: ibm-acpi-0.2]
       [not found]       ` <873c2obh0l.wl%miura-yiisDzvROlQdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-17  7:23         ` Borislav Deianov
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-17  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hiroshi Miura
  Cc: Karol Kozimor, julien.lerouge-GANU6spQydw, John Belmonte,

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 11:41:30PM +0900, Hiroshi Miura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 'Fn key combination' is common on machines,
> so I think we need some abstraction layer or framework on acpi core.

One possibility is to just agree on the proc file format and ACPI
events for the common features, then have each driver implement them
separately. This would probably be simpler than trying to come up with
some sort of a wrapper framework as the code involved is fairly simple
and there probably isn't much we can share. Then again, there might
be, I haven't looked.

I'd be up for something like this, although I'll be busy for a while
getting all the ThinkPad features to work.

Boris

* ibm-acpi-0.3
       [not found]   ` <20040814211247.GS20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-17  9:19   ` Borislav Deianov
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-17  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel, linux-thinkpad

Hi,

This is the third alpha release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
laptops. The features currently supported are:

	- Fn key combinations
	- Bluetooth enable and disable
	- turning the LCD off, brightness control
	- ThinkLight on/off
	- limited docking and undocking

So far, it has been tested on several T, X and R series ThinkPads. I
appreciate any user reports, either successful or unsuccessful. Please
see the included README for more information.

Changes since 0.2:

	- fixed problems preventing insmod on the R40
	- implemented LCD brightness control and turning off
	- implemented ThinkLight on/off

I just noticed that turning the LCD off only works in X, not on the
console, at least for me. I'll need to look into this further.

Finally, a download URL:

http://bkernel.sf.net/tmp/ibm-acpi-0.3.tar.gz

Still no web page.

I'll be on vacation for the next three weeks, so I'll be a little slow
with replies to email. If you are replying to the lists, I'd
appreciate a CC, I'd see it sooner that way.

Boris

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.3
@ 2004-08-17 10:15     ` Paul Ionescu
       [not found]     ` <20040817091921.GI20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-08-17 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-thinkpad; +Cc: acpi-devel

Hi Boris,

Here is the feedback for the new features of ibm_acpi-0.3 on IBM T41/R50p :

ThinkLight works (on/off)
LCD (up/down/off) does not work, but it does increment the brightness
level reported by "tpb".
This means that if I "echo up > lcd", the tbp OSD increments, but the LCD
is at the same level of brightness.
Moreover "echo off > lcd" triggers an AccessIBM button event in "tpb"

And have a happy holiday.

Thanks,
Paul

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 02:19:21 -0700, Borislav Deianov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the third alpha release of my ACPI driver for IBM ThinkPad
> laptops. The features currently supported are:
>
> 	- Fn key combinations
> 	- Bluetooth enable and disable
> 	- turning the LCD off, brightness control - ThinkLight on/off
> 	- limited docking and undocking
>
> So far, it has been tested on several T, X and R series ThinkPads. I
> appreciate any user reports, either successful or unsuccessful. Please see
> the included README for more information.
>
> Changes since 0.2:
>
> 	- fixed problems preventing insmod on the R40 - implemented LCD
> 	brightness control and turning off - implemented ThinkLight on/off
>
> I just noticed that turning the LCD off only works in X, not on the
> console, at least for me. I'll need to look into this further.
>
> Finally, a download URL:
>
> http://bkernel.sf.net/tmp/ibm-acpi-0.3.tar.gz
>
> Still no web page.
>
> I'll be on vacation for the next three weeks, so I'll be a little slow
> with replies to email. If you are replying to the lists, I'd appreciate a
> CC, I'd see it sooner that way.
>
> Boris

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.3
       [not found]     ` <20040817091921.GI20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-17 23:22       ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2004-08-17 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Deianov
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 02:19 -0700, Borislav Deianov wrote:

> 	- turning the LCD off, brightness control

On my X40, brightness control works but I don't seem to be able to
switch the screen off.

--

@ 2004-08-18  5:09                 ` Len Brown
From: Len Brown @ 2004-08-18  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Deianov; +Cc: Shaohua Li, ACPI Developers

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 04:38, Borislav Deianov wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:24:39PM +0800, Li, Shaohua wrote:
> >
> > IBM hotkey has a unique ID. In T40, it's 'IBM0068'. I guess other
> > IBM laptops also use it. Using a hardcode path in the patch possibly
> > isn't a good idea.
>
> Agreed. I was originally using acpi_bus_register_driver() and refering
> to devices by HID but that turned out to not work very well for the
> dock (ACPI drops it if it's not present at boot) and embedded
> controller (the ec driver has already grabbed it). So I switched to
> looking things up by the path. I see your point, though, I'll see what
> I can do.

please stick with the HID method if you can.

Docking is a big hole in linux.  Probably there is some docking even
that we need to handle and perhaps re-initialize the driver.

> > BTW, I'm interested in how can you know the meaning of 'DHKC',
> > 'MHKC' and etc. They are non-standard ACPI methods.
>
> Guesswork from the disassembled DSDT and trial and error...
>
> Regards,
> Boris

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.3
       [not found]     ` <20040817091921.GI20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-18  5:41       ` Len Brown
From: Len Brown @ 2004-08-18  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Deianov
  Cc: ACPI Developers, linux-thinkpad-l7BEYHA5S10i5T99jlK1Sh2eb7JE58TQ

what's the GLOBAL_NOTIFY stuff about?

        status = acpi_install_notify_handler(ACPI_ROOT_OBJECT,
                                             ACPI_DEVICE_NOTIFY,
                                             global_notify, NULL);

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.3
       [not found]     ` <20040817091921.GI20883-AKoe11r2kkOzaBltdDZI6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-18  5:42       ` Len Brown
From: Len Brown @ 2004-08-18  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Deianov
  Cc: ACPI Developers, linux-thinkpad-l7BEYHA5S10i5T99jlK1Sh2eb7JE58TQ,
	ipw2100-devel List

> http://bkernel.sf.net/tmp/ibm-acpi-0.3.tar.gz

The radio hot key sends an ACPI event,
and the acpid example calls this radio.sh:

#!/bin/bash

if ! /sbin/rmmod ipw2100; then
        /sbin/service network restart
fi

Does this means that the button press magically changed
the state of the radio in hardware?  I didn't see any
processing inside the driver to do that.

thanks,
-Len

* Re: [Ipw2100-devel] Re: [ACPI] ibm-acpi-0.3
@ 2004-08-18 13:23         ` Henrik Brix Andersen
       [not found]           ` <1092835382.11535.6.camel-7g89Hwo0MwsWlyYapE9R8Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Henrik Brix Andersen @ 2004-08-18 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Len Brown
  Cc: Borislav Deianov, ACPI Developers, linux-thinkpad, ipw2100-devel List

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 07:42, Len Brown wrote:
> > http://bkernel.sf.net/tmp/ibm-acpi-0.3.tar.gz
>
> The radio hot key sends an ACPI event,
> and the acpid example calls this radio.sh:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> if ! /sbin/rmmod ipw2100; then
>         /sbin/service network restart
> fi
>

> Does this means that the button press magically changed
> the state of the radio in hardware?  I didn't see any
> processing inside the driver to do that.

No. The listed radio.sh script just unloads the ipw2100 module from
memory which effectively disables the wireless network connection.

Regards,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@gimp.org>

* Re: [Ipw2100-devel] Re: ibm-acpi-0.3
       [not found]           ` <1092835382.11535.6.camel-7g89Hwo0MwsWlyYapE9R8Q@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-18 13:38             ` Len Brown
From: Len Brown @ 2004-08-18 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrik Brix Andersen
  Cc: Borislav Deianov, ACPI Developers,

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 09:23, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 07:42, Len Brown wrote:
> > > http://bkernel.sf.net/tmp/ibm-acpi-0.3.tar.gz
> >
> > The radio hot key sends an ACPI event,
> > and the acpid example calls this radio.sh:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > if ! /sbin/rmmod ipw2100; then
> >         /sbin/service network restart
> > fi
> >

> > Does this means that the button press magically changed
> > the state of the radio in hardware?  I didn't see any
> > processing inside the driver to do that.
>
> No. The listed radio.sh script just unloads the ipw2100 module from
> memory which effectively disables the wireless network connection.

So rather than actually disabling the radio, we're diabling the network
by unloading the driver?  Is there an indicator light that says if the
radio is enalbed?  Does is stay on?

thanks,
-Len

* Re: [Ipw2100-devel] Re: ibm-acpi-0.3
@ 2004-08-18 15:27         ` James Ketrenos
       [not found]           ` <4123755C.1010503-b5Z7lJ3WibVrdx17CPfAsdBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
From: James Ketrenos @ 2004-08-18 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Len Brown
  Cc: Borislav Deianov, ACPI Developers,

Len Brown wrote:

>>http://bkernel.sf.net/tmp/ibm-acpi-0.3.tar.gz
>>

>The radio hot key sends an ACPI event,
>and the acpid example calls this radio.sh:
>
>#!/bin/bash
>
>if ! /sbin/rmmod ipw2100; then
>        /sbin/service network restart
>fi
>

>Does this means that the button press magically changed
>the state of the radio in hardware?  I didn't see any
>processing inside the driver to do that.

The laptop might not actually have any RF switch circuitry to signal the
GPIO pin -- so on detection of keypress, it fully removes and reloads
the module (which will have the result of powering off/on the radio with
the side effect of loading/unloading any modules  and services also
listed in the network service)

As of 0.53 (since the proc entries are all broken in 0.52) the script
could be changed to do something more along these lines (until we change
from proc to sysfs and from strings to ints):

#!/bin/sh
if grep -q disabled /proc/net/ipw2100/eth1/state; then
    echo 0 > /proc/net/ipw2100/eth1/state
else
    echo 1 > /proc/net/ipw2100/eth1/state
fi

The above will check the state of the RF kill switch.  If the radio is
disabled, it enables it (by turning off the kill state), etc.  The link
state will toggle based on whether the device is associated -- and that
is likely what the various service scripts should be tied to (vs.
whether or not the module is loaded)

James

@ 2004-08-18 20:21             ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2004-08-18 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Ketrenos
  Cc: Len Brown, Borislav Deianov, ACPI Developers,

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 10:27 -0500, James Ketrenos wrote:

> As of 0.53 (since the proc entries are all broken in 0.52) the script
> could be changed to do something more along these lines (until we change
> from proc to sysfs and from strings to ints):

Surely going to /sys/bus/pci/devices/whatever/power/state is more
useful? In the long run that'll probably also power down the device,
which seems to save me a few hundred mW over just removing the module.

--

@ 2004-08-20 14:28     ` Vincent Touquet
From: Vincent Touquet @ 2004-08-20 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-thinkpad; +Cc: acpi-devel

Hi Borislav,

I noticed this post on lkml:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109300540306110&w=2

I think it deals with the same issues as your code, maybe things
can be shared or merged ? I already mailed the author to point to your
code.

best regards,

Vincent

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-09-16 10:57                   ` Borislav Deianov
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-09-16 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Len Brown; +Cc: ACPI Developers

Hi Len,

Apologies for taking so long to reply.

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 01:09:22AM -0400, Len Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 04:38, Borislav Deianov wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:24:39PM +0800, Li, Shaohua wrote:
> > >
> > > IBM hotkey has a unique ID. In T40, it's 'IBM0068'. I guess other
> > > IBM laptops also use it. Using a hardcode path in the patch possibly
> > > isn't a good idea.
> >
> > Agreed. I was originally using acpi_bus_register_driver() and refering
> > to devices by HID but that turned out to not work very well for the
> > dock (ACPI drops it if it's not present at boot) and embedded
> > controller (the ec driver has already grabbed it). So I switched to
> > looking things up by the path. I see your point, though, I'll see what
> > I can do.
>
> please stick with the HID method if you can.

I'd like to, but, for the most part, I can't. The two problems above
still stand: I need to access devices not present at boot time, and I
need to access devices already grabbed by other drivers. In addition,
I need to access devices and methods which just don't have
HIDs. Basically, out of the six features currently supported by
ibm-acpi, two can be done via acpi_bus_register_driver(). For the
other four, I need to call acpi_get_handle() (with several hard-coded
alternative paths). I use the latter method for all features,
simplifies the structure of the driver quite a bit.

Would you consider something like acpi_get_handle_by_hid() (which can
also access non-present devices)? That would help a lot.

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 01:41:37AM -0400, Len Brown wrote:
> what's the GLOBAL_NOTIFY stuff about?
>
>         status = acpi_install_notify_handler(ACPI_ROOT_OBJECT,
>                                              ACPI_DEVICE_NOTIFY,
>                                              global_notify, NULL);

Used it for debugging before I figured out how to use
/proc/acpi/debug_*.  Got rid of it in 0.4.

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 09:38:18AM -0400, Len Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 09:23, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 07:42, Len Brown wrote:
> > > #!/bin/bash
> > >
> > > if ! /sbin/rmmod ipw2100; then
> > >         /sbin/service network restart
> > > fi
> > >

> > > Does this means that the button press magically changed
> > > the state of the radio in hardware?  I didn't see any
> > > processing inside the driver to do that.
> >
> > No. The listed radio.sh script just unloads the ipw2100 module from
> > memory which effectively disables the wireless network connection.
>
> So rather than actually disabling the radio, we're diabling the network
> by unloading the driver?  Is there an indicator light that says if the
> radio is enalbed?  Does is stay on?

The "antenna" LED goes off and power consumption goes down a bit, so I
assume unloading the module does turn off the radio. My laptop doesn't
have a software kill switch, so not much else I can do.

Regards,
Boris

* Re: ibm-acpi-0.1
       [not found] ` <B44D37711ED29844BEA67908EAF36F03860E23-4yWAQGcml65pB2pF5aRoyrfspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-08-10  9:21   ` Borislav Deianov
From: Borislav Deianov @ 2004-08-10  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li, Shaohua; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:58:53PM +0800, Li, Shaohua wrote:

> >dock (ACPI drops it if it's not present at boot) and embedded
> Actually supporting dock station isn't just executing _EJ0 and _DCK, you
> possibly need to scan the new PCI devices under the dock station.

My problem is that the docking station I have does not have a PCI bus,
so I have no way of testing that. Can not scanning the bus be harmful?
I guess I should make it clear that only "dumb" docks are supported
for now. Patches are welcome...

Thanks,
Boris

* RE: ibm-acpi-0.1
@ 2004-08-10  8:58 Li, Shaohua
       [not found] ` <B44D37711ED29844BEA67908EAF36F03860E23-4yWAQGcml65pB2pF5aRoyrfspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Li, Shaohua @ 2004-08-10  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Deianov; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tuesday, August 10, 2004 4:38 PM Borislav Deianov wrote:
>To: Li, Shaohua
>Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f@public.gmane.org
>Subject: Re: [ACPI] ibm-acpi-0.1
>
>On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:24:39PM +0800, Li, Shaohua wrote:
>>
>> IBM hotkey has a unique ID. In T40, it's 'IBM0068'. I guess other
>> IBM laptops also use it. Using a hardcode path in the patch possibly
>> isn't a good idea.
>
>Agreed. I was originally using acpi_bus_register_driver() and refering
>to devices by HID but that turned out to not work very well
I guess only supporting hotkey is ok in the file. If you want to support
docking station, use a new file.

>dock (ACPI drops it if it's not present at boot) and embedded
Actually supporting dock station isn't just executing _EJ0 and _DCK, you
possibly need to scan the new PCI devices under the dock station.

>controller (the ec driver has already grabbed it). So I switched to
>looking things up by the path. I see your point, though, I'll see what
>I can do.
>
>> BTW, I'm interested in how can you know the meaning of 'DHKC',
>> 'MHKC' and etc. They are non-standard ACPI methods.
>
>Guesswork from the disassembled DSDT and trial and error...
Great job!

Thanks,
Shaohua