* [Qemu-devel] qemu varying performance
@ 2005-01-26  2:49 Lee
From: Lee @ 2005-01-26  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello,

Im not sure if this is a bug, but I wanted to mention it anyways.

My host computer is running the 2.4.24 kernel with smp support, xfree86,
and openbox for the window manager (16 virtual desktops).

when i am on the desktop that qemu is running on, the performance seems
normal to me.

then i will switch to a different desktop and work there for a while
(expecting that qemu will continue processing on the other desktop).

then after a while i will go back to the qemu virtual desktop and it seems
that qemu will then pick up where it left off at (either there or a little
bit after that point) and run again at normal speed.

this seems like qemu does a MAJOR slow down when it is not being displayed
on the active desktop.

has anyone else noticed this behavior?

--
Lee
linuxtwidler@gmail.com

* Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu varying performance
@ 2005-01-26 13:34 ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2005-01-26 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxtwidler, qemu-devel

Hi,

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Lee wrote:

> this seems like qemu does a MAJOR slow down when it is not being displayed
> on the active desktop.

I noticed something like this, too. I think the reason lies within SDL.
Could you try the same programs, but with rfb as displaying end (just
close the viewer for a while and check if QEmu was lower, too)?

Ciao,
Dscho

* Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu varying performance
@ 2005-01-26 14:49   ` Daniel Egger
From: Daniel Egger @ 2005-01-26 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On 26.01.2005, at 14:34, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> I noticed something like this, too. I think the reason lies within SDL.
> Could you try the same programs, but with rfb as displaying end (just
> close the viewer for a while and check if QEmu was lower, too)?

The rfb patch (version 9 that is) does not apply cleanly against
current CVS; it clashes badly with the new keyboard stuff. Also it
does not compile cleanly on Debian (sarge) because some of the
elements of IIRC the rfbServer structure have a different name.

After resolving the issues it segfaults when starting up with -vnc
because of the keyboard stuff and I comment that part out it cannot
allocate an rfbServer structure (i.e. the initialisation call
returns 0) and I haven't had the time yet to figure out why....

Servus,
       Daniel

* [Qemu-devel] Re: qemu varying performance
@ 2005-01-26 17:37 ` Anand Kumria
From: Anand Kumria @ 2005-01-26 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:49:22 -0600, Lee wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Im not sure if this is a bug, but I wanted to mention it anyways.
>
> My host computer is running the 2.4.24 kernel with smp support, xfree86,
> and openbox for the window manager (16 virtual desktops).
>
> when i am on the desktop that qemu is running on, the performance seems
> normal to me.
>
> then i will switch to a different desktop and work there for a while
> (expecting that qemu will continue processing on the other desktop).
>
> then after a while i will go back to the qemu virtual desktop and it
> seems that qemu will then pick up where it left off at (either there or
> a little bit after that point) and run again at normal speed.
>
> this seems like qemu does a MAJOR slow down when it is not being
> displayed on the active desktop.
>
> has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Yes, although I also experience the same problem within the same desktop.
I've noticed that as soon as qemu captures either the mouse or the
keyboard it speeds up again.

Anand

* [Qemu-devel] unhandled exception...
@ 2005-01-27 22:10   ` Doug Stanley