* Re: Ask help:why my 64-bit ELF file could not run at the 64-bit mips  cpu
@ 2010-04-22 15:31   ` Jian Wang
From: Jian Wang @ 2010-04-22 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Hi,

 I have a 64-bit mips cpu, and compiled a 64-bit application, but this
 application could not run. (the target is running Linux)
 The details is:
 1)if I compile the application with -mabi=n64, this program could not
 run, when I run it in the shell, it prompts "command not found"
 2)but if I compile the application with -mabi=n32, it runs well and
 gives the correct result.

 I am wondering why with "-mabi=n64", this program could not run? I
 checked the CP0(status register), Bit px=0b0, KX=0b1, SX=0b1, UX=0b1,
 it seems that in User Mode, it accepts 64-bit operation.

 Anybody could give me some help? Any comments is much appreciated!!

 BR/Dominic

From: Jian Wang @ 2010-04-22 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

       [not found] <j2sdf5e30c51004172251z9fd01867h562b99c1f1044c26@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-04-22 16:01 ` Jian Wang
From: Jian Wang @ 2010-04-22 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

@ 2010-04-22 17:11   ` Jan Rovins
From: Jan Rovins @ 2010-04-22 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jian Wang; +Cc: linux-mips

Jian Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I have a 64-bit mips cpu, and compiled a 64-bit application, but this
>  application could not run. (the target is running Linux)
>  The details is:
>  1)if I compile the application with -mabi=n64, this program could not
>  run, when I run it in the shell, it prompts "command not found"
>  2)but if I compile the application with -mabi=n32, it runs well and
>  gives the correct result.
>
>  I am wondering why with "-mabi=n64", this program could not run? I
>  checked the CP0(status register), Bit px=0b0, KX=0b1, SX=0b1, UX=0b1,
>  it seems that in User Mode, it accepts 64-bit operation.
>
>  Anybody could give me some help? Any comments is much appreciated!!
>
>  BR/Dominic

Perhaps you do not have the "n64" system libraries set up correctly in
userspace.
I have seen the "command not found" error when some fundamental
libraries or the loader was missing.

Do you have a /lib64 & /user/lib64?
Run the file command on some of those libraries & see if they are n64 or
n32 libs.

double check your ld.so.conf to make sure it points to every thing you need.
re run ldconfig if you change something.

Jan

* Re: Ask help:why my 64-bit ELF file could not run at the 64-bit mips  cpu
@ 2010-04-23  8:42       ` Dominic
From: Dominic @ 2010-04-23  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Rovins; +Cc: linux-mips

Hi Jan,

Thanks a lot for your precious reply! I try to use -static to compile
the program, then the 64-bit program can run, so it should be the
library related other than 64-bit instruction or addressing related.
Then I stored the 64-bit libraries in nfs, and mount it on the target
board, after adding the path to ld.so.conf and 'ldconfig', the program
compiled without -static still does not run. Shall I miss something?

Thanks!
BR/Dominic

From: Dominic @ 2010-04-23  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Rovins; +Cc: linux-mips

@ 2010-04-23  9:26         ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2010-04-23  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominic; +Cc: Jan Rovins, linux-mips

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 10:42, Dominic <dominicwj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your precious reply! I try to use -static to compile
> the program, then the 64-bit program can run, so it should be the
> library related other than 64-bit instruction or addressing related.
> Then I stored the 64-bit libraries in nfs, and mount it on the target
> board, after adding the path to ld.so.conf and 'ldconfig', the program
> compiled without -static still does not run. Shall I miss something?

`ldd <your_program>' may tell you...

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Jan Rovins <janr@adax.com> wrote:
>> Jian Wang wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>  I have a 64-bit mips cpu, and compiled a 64-bit application, but this
>>>  application could not run. (the target is running Linux)
>>>  The details is:
>>>  1)if I compile the application with -mabi=n64, this program could not
>>>  run, when I run it in the shell, it prompts "command not found"
>>>  2)but if I compile the application with -mabi=n32, it runs well and
>>>  gives the correct result.
>>>
>>>  I am wondering why with "-mabi=n64", this program could not run? I
>>>  checked the CP0(status register), Bit px=0b0, KX=0b1, SX=0b1, UX=0b1,
>>>  it seems that in User Mode, it accepts 64-bit operation.
>>>
>>>  Anybody could give me some help? Any comments is much appreciated!!
>>>
>>>  BR/Dominic
>>>

>> Perhaps you do not have the "n64" system libraries set up correctly in
>> userspace.
>> I have seen the "command not found" error when some fundamental libraries or
>> the loader was missing.
>>
>> Do you have a /lib64 & /user/lib64?
>> Run the file command on some of those libraries & see if they are n64 or n32
>> libs.
>>
>> double check your ld.so.conf to make sure it points to every thing you need.
>> re run ldconfig if you change something.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2010-04-23  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominic; +Cc: Jan Rovins, linux-mips

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 10:42, Dominic <dominicwj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your precious reply! I try to use -static to compile
> the program, then the 64-bit program can run, so it should be the
> library related other than 64-bit instruction or addressing related.
> Then I stored the 64-bit libraries in nfs, and mount it on the target
> board, after adding the path to ld.so.conf and 'ldconfig', the program
> compiled without -static still does not run. Shall I miss something?

`ldd <your_program>' may tell you...

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Jan Rovins <janr@adax.com> wrote:
>> Jian Wang wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>  I have a 64-bit mips cpu, and compiled a 64-bit application, but this
>>>  application could not run. (the target is running Linux)
>>>  The details is:
>>>  1)if I compile the application with -mabi=n64, this program could not
>>>  run, when I run it in the shell, it prompts "command not found"
>>>  2)but if I compile the application with -mabi=n32, it runs well and
>>>  gives the correct result.
>>>
>>>  I am wondering why with "-mabi=n64", this program could not run? I
>>>  checked the CP0(status register), Bit px=0b0, KX=0b1, SX=0b1, UX=0b1,
>>>  it seems that in User Mode, it accepts 64-bit operation.
>>>
>>>  Anybody could give me some help? Any comments is much appreciated!!
>>>
>>>  BR/Dominic
>>>

>> Perhaps you do not have the "n64" system libraries set up correctly in
>> userspace.
>> I have seen the "command not found" error when some fundamental libraries or
>> the loader was missing.
>>
>> Do you have a /lib64 & /user/lib64?
>> Run the file command on some of those libraries & see if they are n64 or n32
>> libs.
>>
>> double check your ld.so.conf to make sure it points to every thing you need.
>> re run ldconfig if you change something.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: Ask help:why my 64-bit ELF file could not run at the 64-bit mips         cpu
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2010-04-23  9:34       ` Alexander Clouter
From: Alexander Clouter @ 2010-04-23  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Dominic <dominicwj@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your precious reply! I try to use -static to compile
> the program, then the 64-bit program can run, so it should be the
> library related other than 64-bit instruction or addressing related.
> Then I stored the 64-bit libraries in nfs, and mount it on the target
> board, after adding the path to ld.so.conf and 'ldconfig', the program
> compiled without -static still does not run. Shall I miss something?

On your host, you can type something like:
----
alex@berk:/usr/src/wag54g$ readelf -d buildroot/output/target/usr/sbin/ip6tables-multi  | grep Shared
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libip6tc.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libxtables.so.4]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libdl.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libm.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libc.so.0]
----

This will list all the libraries that you need installed[1], I'm guessin
you have missed one.

You can look at the output of 'readelf -a' to try to see what might be
missing.

Cheers

[1] in addition to the interpreter required (for example 'ld-uClibc')
	and the main C library being used:
	readelf -l buildroot/output/target/usr/sbin/ip6tables-multi

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: "Ninety percent of baseball is half mental."

* Re: Ask help:why my 64-bit ELF file could not run at the 64-bit mips  cpu
@ 2010-04-26 12:00           ` Dominic
From: Dominic @ 2010-04-26 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Clouter, Jan Rovins, geert; +Cc: linux-mips

Hi Alexander, Jan & Greet

Much thanks for your advice, I have solve this problem, thanks a lot!

BR/Dominic

From: Dominic @ 2010-04-26 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Clouter, Jan Rovins, geert; +Cc: linux-mips

@ 2010-05-24 13:13       ` Dominic
From: Dominic @ 2010-05-24 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Hi,

I am trying to understand the boot process of Linux Kernel, especially
on MIPS, I am pretty new to these. Could anybody introduce some
documents or the boot logs on some MIPS platform? Any reply is much
appreciated!

Thank you!

BR/Dominic