* How to include initrd.cpio to image
@ 2020-04-30 21:33 Gmane Admin
From: Gmane Admin @ 2020-04-30 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I am generating core-image-minimal-initramfs-edison.cpio.gz which is
found in the deploy-core-image-minimal-initramfs-image-complete/ directory.

When I build my image edison-image initrd gets included and deployed in
edison-image-edison.hddimg. But I am not using that.

I also generate edison-image-edison.ext4 which has bzImage kernel in
/boot. But by Zeus, I have no idea how to get edison-image to install a
file from the other recipe's deploy.

To me it doesn't make sense to include bzImage without initrd, kernel
will not be able to load the rootfs without.

I know I can bundle the initramfs, and that has worked fine before.
Until kernel + initrd grew above 15MB, now U-Boot won't load it. I have
now kernel = 10MB + initrd = 10MB which boot fine when I copy initrd to
/boot manually.

* Re: How to include initrd.cpio to image
       [not found] ` <160B81ECB7BC9386.1783@lists.yoctoproject.org>
@ 2020-05-24 12:38   ` Gmane Admin
From: Gmane Admin @ 2020-05-24 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Op 03-05-2020 om 13:42 schreef Gmane Admin:
> Op 30-04-2020 om 23:33 schreef Gmane Admin:
>> I am generating core-image-minimal-initramfs-edison.cpio.gz which is
>> found in the deploy-core-image-minimal-initramfs-image-complete/
>> directory.
>>
>> When I build my image edison-image initrd gets included and deployed
>> in edison-image-edison.hddimg. But I am not using that.
>>
>> I also generate edison-image-edison.ext4 which has bzImage kernel in
>> /boot. But by Zeus, I have no idea how to get edison-image to install
>> a file from the other recipe's deploy.
>>
>> To me it doesn't make sense to include bzImage without initrd, kernel
>> will not be able to load the rootfs without.
>>
>> I know I can bundle the initramfs, and that has worked fine before.
>> Until kernel + initrd grew above 15MB, now U-Boot won't load it. I
>> have now kernel = 10MB + initrd = 10MB which boot fine when I copy
>> initrd to /boot manually.
>
> Gmane is crazy. It's me, Ferry.
>
> I'm still stuck here. Any ideas?

Self answering, I added this to my image recipe:

ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND += "install_initrd; "

install_initrd() {
     bbnote "Adding initrd to image ${IMAGE_ROOTFS}"
     install -d {IMAGE_ROOTFS}/boot
     bbnote "from
${DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE}/core-image-minimal-initramfs-edison.cpio.gz"
     install -m 0755
${DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE}/core-image-minimal-initramfs-edison.cpio.gz
${IMAGE_ROOTFS}/boot/initrd
}

* Re: How to include initrd.cpio to image
       [not found] <160AB66D41D34D89.15432@lists.yoctoproject.org>
@ 2020-05-03 11:42 ` Gmane Admin
       [not found] ` <160B81ECB7BC9386.1783@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Gmane Admin @ 2020-05-03 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Op 30-04-2020 om 23:33 schreef Gmane Admin:
> I am generating core-image-minimal-initramfs-edison.cpio.gz which is
> found in the deploy-core-image-minimal-initramfs-image-complete/ directory.
>
> When I build my image edison-image initrd gets included and deployed in
> edison-image-edison.hddimg. But I am not using that.
>
> I also generate edison-image-edison.ext4 which has bzImage kernel in
> /boot. But by Zeus, I have no idea how to get edison-image to install a
> file from the other recipe's deploy.
>
> To me it doesn't make sense to include bzImage without initrd, kernel
> will not be able to load the rootfs without.
>
> I know I can bundle the initramfs, and that has worked fine before.
> Until kernel + initrd grew above 15MB, now U-Boot won't load it. I have
> now kernel = 10MB + initrd = 10MB which boot fine when I copy initrd to
> /boot manually.

Gmane is crazy. It's me, Ferry.

I'm still stick here. Any ideas?