* Re: [gnu.org #214016] GPL Violation of 'sveasoft' with GPL Linux Kernel/Busybox + code
       [not found] <rt-214016@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-09  0:11 ` novalis@fsf.org via RT
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: novalis@fsf.org via RT @ 2004-11-09  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shawn.starr; +Cc: license-violation, linux-kernel

On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 12:27 -0500, Shawn Starr via RT wrote:

> I dont know if this has been brought up but, a company called sveasoft is
> blatently violating the GPL by not releasing any code

Under the GPL, nobody has to give any particular person copies of the
binaries.  They are free to sell binaries for whatever price they like.

But if you distribute binaries, you must either include or offer source
code.  Do they do this?  What software do they include that FSF holds
copyright on?   Where can I check this?

Do they include a copy of the GPL with the software?
--
-Dave Turner
GPL Compliance Engineer

* Re: [gnu.org #214016] GPL Violation of 'sveasoft' with GPL Linux Kernel/Busybox + code
       [not found] <rt-214016@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-09 12:07 ` Alan Cox via RT
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alan Cox via RT @ 2004-11-09 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shawn.starr; +Cc: license-violation, linux-kernel

On Maw, 2004-11-09 at 00:11, novalis@fsf.org via RT wrote:
> But if you distribute binaries, you must either include or offer source
> code.  Do they do this?  What software do they include that FSF holds
> copyright on?   Where can I check this?
>
> Do they include a copy of the GPL with the software?

They include the GPL, they include the source nothing I can find they do
violates the GPL.  They do appear to annoy a few people because their
policy is that while you may join their early access process and get
source if you redistribute that source then you get kicked off their
program, but you are still allowed to distribute that source.

* Re: [gnu.org #214016] GPL Violation of 'sveasoft' with GPL Linux Kernel/Busybox + code
@ 2004-11-09 15:20   ` Shawn Starr
From: Shawn Starr @ 2004-11-09 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: license-violation; +Cc: license-violation, linux-kernel

They won't be distributing the source because of their new
anti-distribution methods, they aren't providing the source because they
don't want people to distribute the binaries any more either or know now the
anti-distribution mechanism will work (which requires the user to enter a
value to unlock the binary firmware and send a request to their servers).

It is this action that they are violating the GPL and that needs to be
enforced.

If they want to relicense their changes they need to not use GPL existing code
which they are not doing. They have not added written any of this code from
scratch and thus must distribute the source on request to those who get the
binaries which they are not doing anymore.

What was true before of redistribution and being kicked out of the program is
now not happening anymore as there is no code to distribute of the resulting
binaries.

Shawn.

@ 2004-11-09 15:21 ` Shawn Starr via RT
From: Shawn Starr via RT @ 2004-11-09 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: license-violation, linux-kernel

They won't be distributing the source because of their new
anti-distribution methods, they aren't providing the source because they
don't want people to distribute the binaries any more either or know now the
anti-distribution mechanism will work (which requires the user to enter a
value to unlock the binary firmware and send a request to their servers).

It is this action that they are violating the GPL and that needs to be
enforced.

If they want to relicense their changes they need to not use GPL existing code
which they are not doing. They have not added written any of this code from
scratch and thus must distribute the source on request to those who get the
binaries which they are not doing anymore.

What was true before of redistribution and being kicked out of the program is
now not happening anymore as there is no code to distribute of the resulting
binaries.

Shawn.

On November 9, 2004 07:07, Alan Cox via RT wrote:
> On Maw, 2004-11-09 at 00:11, novalis@fsf.org via RT wrote:
> > But if you distribute binaries, you must either include or offer source
> > code.  Do they do this?  What software do they include that FSF holds
> > copyright on?   Where can I check this?
> >
> > Do they include a copy of the GPL with the software?
>
> They include the GPL, they include the source nothing I can find they do
> violates the GPL.  They do appear to annoy a few people because their
> policy is that while you may join their early access process and get
> source if you redistribute that source then you get kicked off their
> program, but you are still allowed to distribute that source.

* Re: [gnu.org #214016] GPL Violation of 'sveasoft' with GPL Linux Kernel/Busybox + code
       [not found] <rt-214016@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-11-09 15:28 ` Shawn Starr via RT
From: Shawn Starr via RT @ 2004-11-09 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: license-violation, linux-kernel

They won't be distributing the source because of their new
anti-distribution methods, they aren't providing the source because they
don't want people to distribute the binaries any more either or know now the
anti-distribution mechanism will work (which requires the user to enter a
value to unlock the binary firmware and send a request to their servers).

It is this action that they are violating the GPL and that needs to be
enforced.

If they want to relicense their changes they need to not use GPL existing code
which they are not doing. They have not added written any of this code from
scratch and thus must distribute the source on request to those who get the
binaries which they are not doing anymore.

What was true before of redistribution and being kicked out of the program is
now not happening anymore as there is no code to distribute of the resulting
binaries.

Shawn.

On November 9, 2004 07:07, Alan Cox via RT wrote:
> On Maw, 2004-11-09 at 00:11, novalis@fsf.org via RT wrote:
> > But if you distribute binaries, you must either include or offer source
> > code.  Do they do this?  What software do they include that FSF holds
> > copyright on?   Where can I check this?
> >
> > Do they include a copy of the GPL with the software?
>
> They include the GPL, they include the source nothing I can find they do
> violates the GPL.  They do appear to annoy a few people because their
> policy is that while you may join their early access process and get
> source if you redistribute that source then you get kicked off their
> program, but you are still allowed to distribute that source.

* Re: [gnu.org #214016] GPL Violation of 'sveasoft' with GPL Linux Kernel/Busybox + code
       [not found] <rt-214016@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-11-11  0:23 ` novalis@fsf.org via RT
From: novalis@fsf.org via RT @ 2004-11-11  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shawn.starr; +Cc: license-violation, linux-kernel

I didn't realize linux-kernel was CC'd here.  I'm going to take this
off-list with Shawn, because I don't want to waste everyone's time.  If
anyone else has any information about this, please feel free to email me
at <license-violation@fsf.org> .  Thanks.