* Constant headphone noise on Dell XPS 13 9365
@ 2017-05-31 16:50 Felipe Contreras
From: Felipe Contreras @ 2017-05-31 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

Since I bought this machine I've always heard audio noise when I plug
the headphones. This laptop has Intel HDA with the Realtec codec.

This has happened in all the Linux versions I've tried, and I've also
tried HDA Analyzer and changed every value I could find and nothing
helps.

The only value that seems to have an effect is "Headphone Playback
Switch"; if I mute it I don't hear the noise any more, but I don't
hear any audio either.

Lowering the volume to zero doesn't help either, the noise remains at
the same audible level.

I'm running 4.11.3 at the moment. Any ideas?

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras

* Re: Constant headphone noise on Dell XPS 13 9365
@ 2017-05-31 18:19 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2017-05-31 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Contreras; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Wed, 31 May 2017 18:50:30 +0200,
Felipe Contreras wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since I bought this machine I've always heard audio noise when I plug
> the headphones. This laptop has Intel HDA with the Realtec codec.
>
> This has happened in all the Linux versions I've tried, and I've also
> tried HDA Analyzer and changed every value I could find and nothing
> helps.
>
> The only value that seems to have an effect is "Headphone Playback
> Switch"; if I mute it I don't hear the noise any more, but I don't
> hear any audio either.
>
> Lowering the volume to zero doesn't help either, the noise remains at
> the same audible level.
>
> I'm running 4.11.3 at the moment. Any ideas?

Is there "Loopback Mixer" switch?  If yes and it's on, try to turn it
off.  The analog loopback is often the source of the unknown noise.

Other than that, try to apply the existing quirks.  Some of them are
applicable via model option of snd-hda-intel module.

Takashi

* Re: Constant headphone noise on Dell XPS 13 9365
@ 2017-05-31 18:56   ` Felipe Contreras
From: Felipe Contreras @ 2017-05-31 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:

> Is there "Loopback Mixer" switch?  If yes and it's on, try to turn it
> off.  The analog loopback is often the source of the unknown noise.

Yes, "Loopback Mixing". it was off.

> Other than that, try to apply the existing quirks.  Some of them are
> applicable via model option of snd-hda-intel module.

Which quirks should I try?

--

@ 2017-05-31 19:21     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2017-05-31 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Contreras; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Wed, 31 May 2017 20:56:53 +0200,
Felipe Contreras wrote:

> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
>
> > Is there "Loopback Mixer" switch?  If yes and it's on, try to turn it
> > off.  The analog loopback is often the source of the unknown noise.
>
> Yes, "Loopback Mixing". it was off.
>
> > Other than that, try to apply the existing quirks.  Some of them are
> > applicable via model option of snd-hda-intel module.
>
> Which quirks should I try?

Check your codec chip, and then see which model option is available.

Takashi

* Re: Constant headphone noise on Dell XPS 13 9365
@ 2017-06-23  0:11       ` Felipe Contreras
From: Felipe Contreras @ 2017-06-23  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2017 20:56:53 +0200,
> Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
>>
>> > Is there "Loopback Mixer" switch?  If yes and it's on, try to turn it
>> > off.  The analog loopback is often the source of the unknown noise.
>>
>> Yes, "Loopback Mixing". it was off.
>>
>> > Other than that, try to apply the existing quirks.  Some of them are
>> > applicable via model option of snd-hda-intel module.
>>
>> Which quirks should I try?
>
> Check your codec chip, and then see which model option is available.

It's a Realtek ALC3271. I don't see any model options available for
this, but I checked the code and it has the same codec vendor ID as
ALC269 so I tried all the model fixups I saw in alc269_fixup_models
with no luck.

However, I noticed something interesting; when I enabled the
"dell-headset-dock" fixup, the noises got louder, and I noticed a
pattern. It seems everything else I do in the laptop results in a
noise; moving the mouse, pressing a key on the keyboard, even a cursor
blinking on the screen results in a distinguishable noise. After a
while the noises lower in volume, as before, but the patter is still
there, is just that I hadn't noticed.

Any ideas?

--
Felipe Contreras