* CA0110 analog mic capture flatline
@ 2013-06-25 17:11 Ki'Sak
From: Ki'Sak @ 2013-06-25 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Good day alsa-devel,

I have a "Creative Labs [SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio] CA0110-IBG" which I have
been unable to capture any content from the analog mic jack. I am a Gentoo
Linux user with the 3.8.13 kernel / alsa 1.0.26. This issue has been filed
with the wrong devs over at ubuntu's bugtracker and opensuse's forum. Also,
I found a report that analog capture was working on this card as recently
as September 2009.

Thank you for your time,
Ki'Sak

Note: I have already tried to report this issue, this is a resend without
urls due to 2 weeks without a response or it reaching the mailing list.

* Re: CA0110 analog mic capture flatline
@ 2013-07-10 16:45 ` Ki'Sak
From: Ki'Sak @ 2013-07-10 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: tiwai, clemens, Daniel Mack

Having received no response in 30 days and with the bug tracker down, I do
not know how to proceed with troubleshooting this issue.

I would like to send out the original email for posterity:

I have recently acquired a ca0110 card and discovered to my dismay that the
analog capture feed does not work. Upon further research, there has been a
regression somewhere between September 2009 and June 2012. The most recent
report I could find of analog capture working is at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/63352/comments/93 .

I am a Gentoo Linux user running 3.8.13 / alsa 1.0.26. The device works
fine for playback. While ugly, here is my alsa-info:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=cccb2d835cbbe90aaca143e6518c93d17109f720.
The overall layout is JACK + alsa loopback device with an independent
voice chat. The ca0110 is not touched by JACK.

This issue has been reported to the wrong people at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/1093498 and
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/multimedia/477002-problem-microphone-opensuse-11-3-a.html,
so it is not limited to my system.

@ 2013-07-11  6:49   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2013-07-11  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ki'Sak; +Cc: alsa-devel, clemens, Daniel Mack

At Wed, 10 Jul 2013 12:45:35 -0400,
Ki'Sak wrote:

> Having received no response in 30 days and with the bug tracker down, I do
> not know how to proceed with troubleshooting this issue.
>
> I would like to send out the original email for posterity:
>
> I have recently acquired a ca0110 card and discovered to my dismay that the
> analog capture feed does not work. Upon further research, there has been a
> regression somewhere between September 2009 and June 2012. The most recent
> report I could find of analog capture working is at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/63352/comments/93 .
>
> I am a Gentoo Linux user running 3.8.13 / alsa 1.0.26. The device works
> fine for playback. While ugly, here is my alsa-info:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=cccb2d835cbbe90aaca143e6518c93d17109f720.
> The overall layout is JACK + alsa loopback device with an independent
> voice chat. The ca0110 is not touched by JACK.
>
> This issue has been reported to the wrong people at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/1093498 and
> http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/multimedia/477002-problem-microphone-opensuse-11-3-a.html,
> so it is not limited to my system.

Does any other input jack work with this card, i.e. the problem is
only the mic jack?  And how doesn't it work?  It results in the
complete static, getting any noise, or DMA stuck (thus no data)?

Takashi

@ 2013-07-11 12:12     ` Ki'Sak
From: Ki'Sak @ 2013-07-11 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel

> Does any other input jack work with this card, i.e. the problem is
> only the mic jack?  And how doesn't it work?  It results in the
> complete static, getting any noise, or DMA stuck (thus no data)?

Thanks for responding,

This audio card has a shared analog line-in/mic, four analog out, optical
in and out. I was able to get a bit of audio to capture with the optical
audio(hw:4,1). The recording application is clearly getting a bitstream
from the analog (hw:4,0), but it is silence, with no static.

Ki'Sak