* HDAudio and pulse audio
@ 2019-04-25  8:50 rander.wang
From: rander.wang @ 2019-04-25  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi all,

         I am working on sound open firmware in ASoC to enable HDAudio
with pulse audio in ubuntu.
         There is a HDAudio codec driver hdac_hda.c in ASoC, which
invokes HDAudio functions defined
         in sound/pci/hda, for ASoC to utilize the HDAudio codec. Now I
get a issue: pulse audio can't  detect
        headphone pluged or not.

         Could anyone help to tell me about Jack detection flow in
HDAudio and how does HDAudio
         work with pulse audio ? Does HDAudio report a event to pulse
audio when headphone detected ?
        As I know,  ASoC codec driver would invoke snd_soc_jack_report
to notify user mode, how about HDAudio
        driver ?

Thanks!

Rander

* Re: HDAudio and pulse audio
@ 2019-04-28  7:51 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2019-04-28  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rander.wang; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 10:50:32 +0200,
rander.wang wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>         I am working on sound open firmware in ASoC to enable HDAudio
> with pulse audio in ubuntu.
>         There is a HDAudio codec driver hdac_hda.c in ASoC, which
> invokes HDAudio functions defined
>         in sound/pci/hda, for ASoC to utilize the HDAudio codec. Now I
> get a issue: pulse audio can't  detect
>        headphone pluged or not.
>
>         Could anyone help to tell me about Jack detection flow in
> HDAudio and how does HDAudio
>         work with pulse audio ? Does HDAudio report a event to pulse
> audio when headphone detected ?
>        As I know,  ASoC codec driver would invoke snd_soc_jack_report
> to notify user mode, how about HDAudio
>        driver ?

PA only sees the "XXX Jack" ALSA control notification, IIRC.
And these controls are created by the HD-audio codec driver, and
driven by the HD-audio unsolicited events.

So first off, check whether the jack detection really works on your
chip by issuing the raw HD-audio verbs.  If it's properly detected,
check whether the unsolicited events are issued and processed.  Then
follow the code and see whether the "* Jack" control change is
invoked.

HTH,

Takashi