* [alsa-devel] mixartloader/miXart8.elf lacks full RELRO, PIE and is unstripped
@ 2020-01-22 11:09 David Runge
From: David Runge @ 2020-01-22 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi!

I'm (currently) packaging alsa-firmware for Arch Linux and ran across
the mixartloader/miXart8.elf, which turns out to be lacking full RELRO
[1], PIE [2] and being unstripped.

Checking the git log it appears, that Jaroslav Kysela added it in 2003.
I wonder whether the blob could be rebuilt with full RELRO and PIE and
be updated.

Additionally, I'd like to point out, that I don't know, how much of a
use-case the Digigram miXart8 cards still are in current times, so maybe
the firmware is also a candidate for being dropped (from the package on
Arch Linux).

Any hints, suggestions or ideas are very welcome!

Best,
David

--
https://sleepmap.de

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [alsa-devel] mixartloader/miXart8.elf lacks full RELRO, PIE and is unstripped
@ 2020-01-22 11:32 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2020-01-22 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Runge; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 12:09:26 +0100,
David Runge wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm (currently) packaging alsa-firmware for Arch Linux and ran across
> the mixartloader/miXart8.elf, which turns out to be lacking full RELRO
> [1], PIE [2] and being unstripped.
>
> Checking the git log it appears, that Jaroslav Kysela added it in 2003.
> I wonder whether the blob could be rebuilt with full RELRO and PIE and
> be updated.
>
> Additionally, I'd like to point out, that I don't know, how much of a
> use-case the Digigram miXart8 cards still are in current times, so maybe
> the firmware is also a candidate for being dropped (from the package on
> Arch Linux).
>
> Any hints, suggestions or ideas are very welcome!

I wonder what's the matter with that.  It's no binary that is executed
on your CPU but just a blob that is simply passed to the hardware chip
as-is, so we can't modify anything.

thanks,

Takashi