* Right internal speaker and internal microphone doesn't seem to work
@ 2019-04-25 15:07 Drago Praznik
From: Drago Praznik @ 2019-04-25 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

My Mint 19 (kernel: 4.15.0-48-generic) on Lenovo V110 never succeeded to
use an internal microphone and the right internal speaker also doesn't seem
to work. Previously I tried to install Windows 10 and all the hardware
works normally whilst using Win10. Here's some additional info of my setup:

http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=9e9d2f773b9682f2dbd2a22cd1f4fd0613eb0a2d

Originally I submitted a post on forum:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=292732

... since it didn't help, I ended up here.

Cheers,
Drago

* Re: Right internal speaker and internal microphone doesn't seem to work
@ 2019-04-25 16:46 ` Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan
From: Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan @ 2019-04-25 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drago Praznik; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi Drago,

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 05:07:55PM +0200, Drago Praznik wrote:
> Originally I submitted a post on forum:
> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=292732
>
> ... since it didn't help, I ended up here.

I almost fear we're on the wrong list here, I have a similar problem on
a different notebook, but did not get any answer. I think this list is
much more technical/low-level and not end user oriented.

That being said - it was suggested on the Alsa Project page, thats how I
got here, so not really sure what the right place for such requests would be.

Perhaps we should try via the kernel bugtracker, but I'd appreciate if
someone could hint users like us to a place where problems like these
could be addressed.

Kind regards,
Jin

* Re: Right internal speaker and internal microphone doesn't seem to work
@ 2019-04-28  7:34   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2019-04-28  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan; +Cc: alsa-devel, Drago Praznik

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 18:46:57 +0200,
Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan wrote:

> Hi Drago,
>
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 05:07:55PM +0200, Drago Praznik wrote:
> > Originally I submitted a post on forum:
> > https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=292732
> >
> > ... since it didn't help, I ended up here.
>
> I almost fear we're on the wrong list here, I have a similar problem on
> a different notebook, but did not get any answer. I think this list is
> much more technical/low-level and not end user oriented.
>
> That being said - it was suggested on the Alsa Project page, thats how I
> got here, so not really sure what the right place for such requests would be.
>
> Perhaps we should try via the kernel bugtracker, but I'd appreciate if
> someone could hint users like us to a place where problems like these
> could be addressed.

Well, the ML itself is right, but there is not many things the
developers can help remotely.  This is a very vendor-specific stuff,
no generic problem, hence it's only the hardware vendor who knows how
to fix the problem (most likely some missing extra initialization).
Alternatively, you can do trial-and-error by yourself, e.g. applying
the existing quirks via model option or fiddling with the pin
configurations via hdajackretask.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: Right internal speaker and internal microphone doesn't seem to work
@ 2019-05-06  8:40     ` Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan
From: Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan @ 2019-05-06  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel, Drago Praznik

Hi Takashi,

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 09:34:27AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Perhaps we should try via the kernel bugtracker, but I'd appreciate if
> > someone could hint users like us to a place where problems like these
> > could be addressed.
>
> Well, the ML itself is right, but there is not many things the
> developers can help remotely.  This is a very vendor-specific stuff,
> no generic problem, hence it's only the hardware vendor who knows how
> to fix the problem (most likely some missing extra initialization).
> Alternatively, you can do trial-and-error by yourself, e.g. applying
> the existing quirks via model option or fiddling with the pin
> configurations via hdajackretask.

do you know if there is a way to extract those assignments from the
Widows driver/look them up with some tool from a booted Windows system?
I understand that the pin descriptions/IDs or whatever are read from the
hardware, so in theory they should match and provide the missing info?

I still have the harddisk with Win7 that was originally in this notebook, so
I could mount it and give it a try if I knew what to do.

Then you noted, that there is not much you could do remotely - would access
to the system help?

Kind regards,
Jin

* Re: Right internal speaker and internal microphone doesn't seem to work
@ 2019-05-07 15:52       ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2019-05-07 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan; +Cc: alsa-devel, Drago Praznik

On Mon, 06 May 2019 10:40:46 +0200,
Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan wrote:

> Hi Takashi,
>
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 09:34:27AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > Perhaps we should try via the kernel bugtracker, but I'd appreciate if
> > > someone could hint users like us to a place where problems like these
> > > could be addressed.
> >
> > Well, the ML itself is right, but there is not many things the
> > developers can help remotely.  This is a very vendor-specific stuff,
> > no generic problem, hence it's only the hardware vendor who knows how
> > to fix the problem (most likely some missing extra initialization).
> > Alternatively, you can do trial-and-error by yourself, e.g. applying
> > the existing quirks via model option or fiddling with the pin
> > configurations via hdajackretask.
>
> do you know if there is a way to extract those assignments from the
> Widows driver/look them up with some tool from a booted Windows system?
> I understand that the pin descriptions/IDs or whatever are read from the
> hardware, so in theory they should match and provide the missing info?

Unfortunately I have little knowledge about Windows, but as far as I
know, some drivers have the INFO file in a text format that contain
the useful information like HD-audio verbs.

Takashi