* snd-nm256 crash
@ 2002-08-12  2:08 Russell Neches
From: Russell Neches @ 2002-08-12  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hey there --

I'm trying to get my laptop working with ALSA, but, sadly, my laptop
contains the lamentable NeoMagic 256AV chip. With ALSA 0.9.0beta12,
power switch stops working.

I presume that if the module is included with ALSA that it has at
least "been known to work." I've tried 2.4.18 and 2.4.19 (both regular
old generic unpatched source tarballs from kernel.org), with identical
results.

I'm converting all my various Linux boxen to ALSA, but this has been
the only one that's up and crashed. I'm new to the ALSA codebase, so
I'm not sure where to start. At the very least, I'd like to submit a
coherent bug report. Would anyone mind helping me understand what is
(and isn't) broken?

Thanks!

Russell

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* Re: snd-nm256 crash
@ 2002-08-12  9:54 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2002-08-12  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Neches; +Cc: alsa-devel

At 11 Aug 2002 22:08:53 -0400,
Russell Neches wrote:

> I'm trying to get my laptop working with ALSA, but, sadly, my laptop
> contains the lamentable NeoMagic 256AV chip. With ALSA 0.9.0beta12,
> power switch stops working.

nm256 driver is fairly unstable.
i've checked the code and found that ac97 initialization causes
the problem.  the reason is mysterious and the fix is difficult, since
we have no information about this chipset at all.

anyway, the current cvs version is more stable (but not perfect).
it would be appreciated if you can help debugging, too.

Takashi

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* Re: snd-nm256 crash
@ 2002-08-13 17:43   ` Russell Neches
From: Russell Neches @ 2002-08-13 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

I'd be glad to help, but until I get more familiar with the code base,
I'll need some guidance. How can I help?

Russell