* poll blocked after prepare state
@ 2018-06-21 10:42 Harald Schuster
From: Harald Schuster @ 2018-06-21 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi
I have a problem when I got an underrun that my playback path is not
working correctly any longer.
I debugged the problem and see that the snd_pcm_direct_prepare
function is called and than the snd_pcm_dshare_start function. After
this the snd_pcm_write_areas is called and the snd_pcm_wait_nocheck
never returns. He is blocked in the poll function. Is there any
solution for this problem?!
best regards
Harald

* poll blocked after prepare state
@ 2018-06-22 13:29 ` Harald Schuster
From: Harald Schuster @ 2018-06-22 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

I found out that an underrun occours and so the pcm_prepare function
for pcm_direct is called and then pcm_start_dshare is called. Both
functions returns without any error but the playback path is blocked
in the snd_pcm_wait_nocheck function. I read that there was an similar
problem before in the group but i didn't found any solution. Is this a
problem in the driver and how can i go forward to fix it. The codec is
a tlv320aic3x-audio. Thanks for your help.

best regards
Harald

* Re: poll blocked after prepare state
@ 2018-06-22 13:56   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2018-06-22 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Schuster; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 15:29:21 +0200,
Harald Schuster wrote:

> I found out that an underrun occours and so the pcm_prepare function
> for pcm_direct is called and then pcm_start_dshare is called. Both
> functions returns without any error but the playback path is blocked
> in the snd_pcm_wait_nocheck function. I read that there was an similar
> problem before in the group but i didn't found any solution. Is this a
> problem in the driver and how can i go forward to fix it. The codec is
> a tlv320aic3x-audio. Thanks for your help.

Does this happen with the very latest alsa-lib git version?
Just to be sure.

Takashi

* poll blocked after prepare state
@ 2018-06-22 18:36     ` Harald Schuster
From: Harald Schuster @ 2018-06-22 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Zitat von Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 15:29:21 +0200,
> Harald Schuster wrote:
>>
>> I found out that an underrun occours and so the pcm_prepare function
>> for pcm_direct is called and then pcm_start_dshare is called. Both
>> functions returns without any error but the playback path is blocked
>> in the snd_pcm_wait_nocheck function. I read that there was an similar
>> problem before in the group but i didn't found any solution. Is this a
>> problem in the driver and how can i go forward to fix it. The codec is
>> a tlv320aic3x-audio. Thanks for your help.
>
> Does this happen with the very latest alsa-lib git version?
> Just to be sure.
>

> Takashi

Hi
We are using k4.1.15-6QP+ga2066af.
br Harald

* Re: poll blocked after prepare state
@ 2018-06-24 15:58       ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2018-06-24 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Schuster; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 20:36:12 +0200,
Harald Schuster wrote:

> Zitat von Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 15:29:21 +0200,
> > Harald Schuster wrote:
> >>
> >> I found out that an underrun occours and so the pcm_prepare function
> >> for pcm_direct is called and then pcm_start_dshare is called. Both
> >> functions returns without any error but the playback path is blocked
> >> in the snd_pcm_wait_nocheck function. I read that there was an similar
> >> problem before in the group but i didn't found any solution. Is this a
> >> problem in the driver and how can i go forward to fix it. The codec is
> >> a tlv320aic3x-audio. Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Does this happen with the very latest alsa-lib git version?
> > Just to be sure.
> >

> > Takashi
>
> Hi
> We are using k4.1.15-6QP+ga2066af.

I'm asking the alsa-lib, not kernel.

And 4.1.x is very old...  Please check either 4.17.x or latest Linus
tree whether the problem persists, too.

Takashi

* poll blocked after prepare state
@ 2018-06-25  9:59         ` Harald Schuster
From: Harald Schuster @ 2018-06-25  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi
We are not able to update our system. We are using USB codecs which
are working fine but they are using the snd_pcm_hw_prepare function.
The Problem only exists for the I2S codec in our system. When i
changed the buffer size in the asound.conf for the codec the problem
allready exists but it arise not so often because there is not so
often a underrun. Is there any hint where i could lock for the problem?!
br Harald

@ 2018-06-25 12:33           ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2018-06-25 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Schuster; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 11:59:02 +0200,
Harald Schuster wrote:

> Hi
> We are not able to update our system. We are using USB codecs which
> are working fine but they are using the snd_pcm_hw_prepare function.
> The Problem only exists for the I2S codec in our system. When i
> changed the buffer size in the asound.conf for the codec the problem
> allready exists but it arise not so often because there is not so
> often a underrun. Is there any hint where i could lock for the
> problem?!

Well, with that little information, it's hard to advice anything...

Takashi

@ 2018-06-25 13:43             ` Harald Schuster
From: Harald Schuster @ 2018-06-25 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi
The codec is the TI tlv320aic3x and the buffersize is set to 64 and
the periodsize is set to 32 in the asound.conf. We use the pjProject
for the audioprocessing and the internal period time is 4ms and the
sample rate is 8000 Hz. The second codec is a USB codec which has no
problems. Our scenario is that a incoming VOIP call is connected to
the both codec (I2s and USB) and the USB codec starts the playback
without any problems and the tlv320 sometimes works but when a
underrun accours it crash!

best regards Harald

@ 2018-06-25 13:53               ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2018-06-25 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Schuster; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 15:43:15 +0200,
Harald Schuster wrote:

> Hi
> The codec is the TI tlv320aic3x and the buffersize is set to 64 and
> the periodsize is set to 32 in the asound.conf. We use the pjProject
> for the audioprocessing and the internal period time is 4ms and the
> sample rate is 8000 Hz. The second codec is a USB codec which has no
> problems. Our scenario is that a incoming VOIP call is connected to
> the both codec (I2s and USB) and the USB codec starts the playback
> without any problems and the tlv320 sometimes works but when a
> underrun accours it crash!

Is it really so hardware-specific problem?

And, did you follow the recent development / fixes if it's about
dshare plugin?  There have been lots of changes.

I'm not asking about updating the kernels.  The question is rather
about alsa-lib.

Takashi

@ 2018-06-30 10:10                 ` Harald Schuster
From: Harald Schuster @ 2018-06-30 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

We found out that in some cases after the underrun the
snd_pcm_dshare_start function is called and in some cases
snd_pcm_dshare_start and the snd_pcm_hw_start function is called. When
both functions are called the codec stops playback.

@ 2018-07-03 10:41                   ` Harald Schuster
From: Harald Schuster @ 2018-07-03 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi
I found out that the error occours when the snd_pcm_read_areas
function is called in a special order. When the function
snd_pcm_read_areas is not called or it is called between the
snd_pcm_dshare_starts it works fine. The Codec is already running
because the mic path is working fine.

pb_thread_func (alsa_dev.c): Underrun
snd_pcm_read_areas(pcm.c): Before snd_pcm_start()
snd_pcm_generic_start(pcm_generic.c):
snd_pcm_hw_start
snd_pcm_hw_start
pb_thread_func (alsa_dev.c): Underrun 0x74395c80
snd_pcm_write_areas(pcm.c): Before snd_pcm_start()
snd_pcm_dshare_start

@ 2018-07-11  7:27                     ` Harald Schuster
From: Harald Schuster @ 2018-07-11  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi
So I found out that the problem only occours when the dshare Plugin is
used! When the normal hw is used the problem does not exist. Is there
any knwon problem with the dshare plugin that the playback stops or is
there a workaraund?
br Harald

@ 2018-07-11  7:31                       ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2018-07-11  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Schuster; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 09:27:27 +0200,
Harald Schuster wrote:

> Hi
> So I found out that the problem only occours when the dshare Plugin is
> used! When the normal hw is used the problem does not exist. Is there
> any knwon problem with the dshare plugin that the playback stops or is
> there a workaraund?

Let me ask again like a broken record: did you check with the latest
alsa-lib?

And, please don't top-post unless you have to do so.

thanks,

Takashi

@ 2018-07-11  8:54                         ` Harald Schuster
From: Harald Schuster @ 2018-07-11  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

Zitat von Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 09:27:27 +0200,
> Harald Schuster wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> So I found out that the problem only occours when the dshare Plugin is
>> used! When the normal hw is used the problem does not exist. Is there
>> any knwon problem with the dshare plugin that the playback stops or is
>> there a workaraund?
>
> Let me ask again like a broken record: did you check with the latest
> alsa-lib?
>
> And, please don't top-post unless you have to do so.

I tested it with alsa-lib 1.1.2 because i can not update to a newer
version and the error still exists.

@ 2018-07-11  9:08                           ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2018-07-11  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Schuster; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:54:48 +0200,
Harald Schuster wrote:

> Zitat von Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>:
>
> > On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 09:27:27 +0200,
> > Harald Schuster wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >> So I found out that the problem only occours when the dshare Plugin is
> >> used! When the normal hw is used the problem does not exist. Is there
> >> any knwon problem with the dshare plugin that the playback stops or is
> >> there a workaraund?
> >
> > Let me ask again like a broken record: did you check with the latest
> > alsa-lib?
> >
> > And, please don't top-post unless you have to do so.
> >

> I tested it with alsa-lib 1.1.2 because i can not update to a newer
> version and the error still exists.

1.1.2 is so old...  There have been many fixes since then.

Takashi