* The per-soundcard Documentation is ABSURDLY out of date
@ 2007-02-07 14:58 Paul Davis
From: Paul Davis @ 2007-02-07 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Someone on ardour-users just asked a question based on docs for the RME
HDSP 9632 @ alsa-project.org. I took a look.

The docs there are written as if no linux distro has ALSA builtin. The
same appears to be true for every other card I looked at. It tells
people how to (re)build and (re)install ALSA.

This is deeply confusing and wrong. I wish I had time to correct it
myself.

--p

* Re: The per-soundcard Documentation is ABSURDLY out of date
@ 2007-02-07 16:34 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2007-02-07 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:58:42 -0500,
Paul Davis wrote:

> Someone on ardour-users just asked a question based on docs for the RME
> HDSP 9632 @ alsa-project.org. I took a look.
>
> The docs there are written as if no linux distro has ALSA builtin. The
> same appears to be true for every other card I looked at. It tells
> people how to (re)build and (re)install ALSA.
>
> This is deeply confusing and wrong. I wish I had time to correct it
> myself.

I come to believe that it makes little sense to keep this style of
project page, at least, as it is.  We have too little horses while the
load gets bigger and bigger.  As I've suggested many times, we should
change to more open style like Wiki to avoid rotten information.
(Yeah once ago I was against Wiki, but the time changed...)

Takashi

* Re: The per-soundcard Documentation is ABSURDLY out of date
@ 2007-02-07 17:37   ` Ingo Müller
From: Ingo Müller @ 2007-02-07 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Takashi Iwai schrieb:
> At Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:58:42 -0500,
> Paul Davis wrote:
>> Someone on ardour-users just asked a question based on docs for the RME
>> HDSP 9632 @ alsa-project.org. I took a look.
>>
>> The docs there are written as if no linux distro has ALSA builtin. The
>> same appears to be true for every other card I looked at. It tells
>> people how to (re)build and (re)install ALSA.
>>
>> This is deeply confusing and wrong. I wish I had time to correct it
>> myself.
>
> I come to believe that it makes little sense to keep this style of
> project page, at least, as it is.  We have too little horses while the
> load gets bigger and bigger.  As I've suggested many times, we should
> change to more open style like Wiki to avoid rotten information.
> (Yeah once ago I was against Wiki, but the time changed...)

Hi!

I agree totally with you, Takashi. As you sure know, there is already a
wiki on http://alsa.opensrc.org/. I'd suggest to merge these two major
sources of information: the mentioned wiki and the official page. On
that mailinglist two months ago when I was not that deep into the
subject, I wrote (title "PLEASE improve the ALSA documentation!") that
one of the biggest problems was, that the documentation was "splattered
all over the internet". The merging of those two sites would therefor
not only be more easily to maintain, but it would be a lot better for
the user!

There's something else I already wrote back then: I said that I was
willing to help and I'm repeating it here! Since then, I made over 1500
contributions to the wiki, most of them simple transfering to a new
wikisoftware, but also restructuring and some new articles. I also said,
that I didn't want to be alone, but hey, nobody can conjure up
volounteers and as you said, Takashi, few horses and big loads... Maybe
this can be an occasion that more people join the forces and that the
documentation is finally rebuilt!!

Thanks to anyone sharing his ideas about that topic!

Regards, Ingo

* Re: The per-soundcard Documentation is ABSURDLY out of date
@ 2007-02-08 14:53     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2007-02-08 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Müller; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:37:39 +0100,
Ingo Müller wrote:

> Takashi Iwai schrieb:
> > At Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:58:42 -0500,
> > Paul Davis wrote:
> >> Someone on ardour-users just asked a question based on docs for the RME
> >> HDSP 9632 @ alsa-project.org. I took a look.
> >>
> >> The docs there are written as if no linux distro has ALSA builtin. The
> >> same appears to be true for every other card I looked at. It tells
> >> people how to (re)build and (re)install ALSA.
> >>
> >> This is deeply confusing and wrong. I wish I had time to correct it
> >> myself.
> >
> > I come to believe that it makes little sense to keep this style of
> > project page, at least, as it is.  We have too little horses while the
> > load gets bigger and bigger.  As I've suggested many times, we should
> > change to more open style like Wiki to avoid rotten information.
> > (Yeah once ago I was against Wiki, but the time changed...)
> >

> Hi!
>
> I agree totally with you, Takashi. As you sure know, there is already a
> wiki on http://alsa.opensrc.org/. I'd suggest to merge these two major
> sources of information: the mentioned wiki and the official page. On
> that mailinglist two months ago when I was not that deep into the
> subject, I wrote (title "PLEASE improve the ALSA documentation!") that
> one of the biggest problems was, that the documentation was "splattered
> all over the internet". The merging of those two sites would therefor
> not only be more easily to maintain, but it would be a lot better for
> the user!

Fully agreed.  And thanks for keeping alsa.opensrc.org up!

> There's something else I already wrote back then: I said that I was
> willing to help and I'm repeating it here! Since then, I made over 1500
> contributions to the wiki, most of them simple transfering to a new
> wikisoftware, but also restructuring and some new articles. I also said,
> that I didn't want to be alone, but hey, nobody can conjure up
> volounteers and as you said, Takashi, few horses and big loads... Maybe
> this can be an occasion that more people join the forces and that the
> documentation is finally rebuilt!!

Yeah I understand very well ;)

To refresh my memory, initially I had two concerns about Wiki:
authority and security.  The authority is, however, less important
than the freshness of the information and Wiki (and open-style portal)
could work better than a top-bottom service.  The security issues are
still not perfect, but restricting the edit right only to the
subscribers should suffice in most cases, I guess.

So, technical seen, I have no big problems to move to Wiki.  But, the
most important thing is to update the rotten information together with
that.  For example, the texts in "call for vendors" or "programming"
sections should be updated to fit with the current situation.

Takashi