From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
To: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>
Cc: "alsa-devel@alsa-project.org" <alsa-devel@alsa-project.org>
Subject: Re: Logitech Z10 USB speakers need a volume change before audio works
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 16:56:40 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 15:33:35 +0100,
Hans de Goede wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 11/30/21 12:07, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 11/25/21 13:42, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> >> No such quirk is present for now.
> >>
> >> Was it tested with 5.16-rc?  There was a change in USB-audio driver
> >> initialization (commit b96681bd5827) and it might have some effect in
> >> your case.
> >
> > Yes I'm at 5.16-rc3 atm but I've been seeing this for quite some time.
> > I just never got around to reporting it. Mainly because I also never
> > got around to getting a bit clearer picture of the problem.
> >
> > I've spend some time this morning to get that clearer picture,
> > which was insightful.
> >
> >> Also, it's interesting to know whether it happens also once after
> >> suspend-resume, too.
> >
> > suspend-resume makes no difference, not even rebooting or
> > powering off the machine makes a difference.
> >
> > Once the speakers are in working order they stay in working order
> > until I turn off my machine; and then flick the power-switch on
> > the 240V AC power-bar which I use to power my laptop + dock +
> > monitors + the speakers and turn things back on the next morning.
> >
> > To be clear these speakers get their audio-data over USB
> > (as an usb-audio device) but they have their own power-supply
> > they are not USB powered. They also have a "soft" on/off button
> > which turns on/off the amplifier and LCD screen parts but leaves
> > the USB audio interface active.
> >
> > So I've been experimenting with reproducing the issue and I
> > need to do the following minimal steps to reproduce:
> >
> >  1. Unplug USB
> >  2. Unplug power
> >  3. Re-plug power
> >  4. Re-plug USB
> >  5. speaker-test -Dfront:CARD=Speaker,DEV=0 -S1
> >  6. Turn speakers on (with the on/off button on the speakers), no audio
> >
> >  5 and 6 may be swapped, same result
> >
> > And now that I have a reliable reproducer I've also been
> > playing with a reliable workaround which looks like this:
> >
> > 1. Start playing audio to the speakers
> > 2. Turn speakers on (with the on/off button on the speakers)
> > 3. Make a change to the 'PCM Playback Volume' ctrl
> >
> > Where 1. and 2. may be swapped. But the
> > 'PCM Playback Volume' ctrl change must be made while the
> > speakers are on and playing audio !
> >
> > Although I have found that this also works:
> >
> > 1. Start playing audio to the speakers
> > 2. Turn speakers on (with the on/off button on the speakers)
> > 3. Stop playing audio
> > 4. Make a change to the 'PCM Playback Volume' ctrl
> > 5. Start playing audio to the speakers again
> >
> > I then even here a brief "power-up buzz" coming from the
> > speakers at 4.
> >
> > And this sequence also works:
> >
> > 1. Start playing audio to the speakers
> > 2. Stop playing audio
> > 3. Turn speakers on (with the on/off button on the speakers)
> > 4. Make a change to the 'PCM Playback Volume' ctrl
> > 5. Start playing audio to the speakers again
> >
> > So it seems that to work (after having been unplugged
> [...]

It sounds too hackish and fragile to me...  Do we need to repeat each
5 seconds?  Wouldn't it suffice to touch only once at setting up the
stream (or need before or after the stream start), instead?

If it's enough to be once in the stream setup, we may add something in
snd_usb_set_format_quirk() that is specific to your device to set the
current mixer value again.

In anyway, alsa-info.sh output would be helpful.

thanks,

Takashi