* Request for Device ID addition : 6935G
@ 2009-06-13  2:24 Karthik Ramgopal
From: Karthik Ramgopal @ 2009-06-13  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel

Hi,
       Acer Aspire 6935G sound system is confirmed to be functional
with model=acer-aspire-8930g. Kindly add device ID 0x1025 0x0146 to
the quirks list in patch_realtek.c . Jack detetction and playback is
working without any hda-verbing. Just the internal mic seems to be a
problem. Can't hear my voice, can just hear static when I playback a
recording. Anyways big thanks to Hector and Takashi for getting it all
to work.

Regards,
Karthik

* Re: Request for Device ID addition : 6935G
@ 2009-06-13  8:19 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-06-13  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karthik Ramgopal; +Cc: alsa-devel, Hector Martin

At Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:24:45 +0800,
Karthik Ramgopal wrote:

> Hi,
>        Acer Aspire 6935G sound system is confirmed to be functional
> with model=acer-aspire-8930g. Kindly add device ID 0x1025 0x0146 to
> the quirks list in patch_realtek.c .

OK, committed now to sound git tree.  It'll be included in the next
pull request for 2.6.31 kernel.

> Jack detetction and playback is
> working without any hda-verbing. Just the internal mic seems to be a
> problem. Can't hear my voice, can just hear static when I playback a
> recording.

Hector, does it work on your machine?  If yes, there should be a
slight difference between 6935G and 8930G...

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: Request for Device ID addition : 6935G
@ 2009-06-13 16:11   ` Hector Martin
From: Hector Martin @ 2009-06-13 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Karthik Ramgopal, alsa-devel

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Hector, does it work on your machine?  If yes, there should be a
> slight difference between 6935G and 8930G...
Yes, the DMIC works fine here (in mono mode).

Karthik: please look in sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c and locate the
alc889_acer_aspire_8930g_verbs array. At the end, where it talks about
the "DMIC fix", find the last verb:

{0x20, AC_VERB_SET_PROC_COEF, 0x0003},

And change the value from 0x0003 to 0x0001 and see what that does.

If this works and you get some audio, make a stereo recording. You want
both channels to be of equal volume.

I suspect you have a mono mic on the left channel. I have a stereo
sum/difference mic (WTF) with sum on the right channel, so I tweaked the
setting to replicate the right channel to both. This would kill your
audio if your microphone is just a mono one on the left channel. Setting
0x0001 should get you standard stereo audio as it comes from the mic(s).
I think setting 0x0002 should get you what you want (left channel
replicated to both channels). If not, try setting 0x0000.

Takashi: if I'm right, we'll need two model entries instead of one and
we should probably split off the verb array into three (base, stereo
sum/dif mic fix, mono mic fix).

--
Hector Martin (hector@marcansoft.com)
Public Key: http://www.marcansoft.com/marcan.asc

* Re: Request for Device ID addition : 6935G
@ 2009-06-14  8:09     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-06-14  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hector Martin; +Cc: Karthik Ramgopal, alsa-devel

At Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:11:15 +0200,
Hector Martin wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Hector, does it work on your machine?  If yes, there should be a
> > slight difference between 6935G and 8930G...
> Yes, the DMIC works fine here (in mono mode).
>
> Karthik: please look in sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c and locate the
> alc889_acer_aspire_8930g_verbs array. At the end, where it talks about
> the "DMIC fix", find the last verb:
>
> {0x20, AC_VERB_SET_PROC_COEF, 0x0003},
>
> And change the value from 0x0003 to 0x0001 and see what that does.
>
> If this works and you get some audio, make a stereo recording. You want
> both channels to be of equal volume.
>
> I suspect you have a mono mic on the left channel. I have a stereo
> sum/difference mic (WTF) with sum on the right channel, so I tweaked the
> setting to replicate the right channel to both. This would kill your
> audio if your microphone is just a mono one on the left channel. Setting
> 0x0001 should get you standard stereo audio as it comes from the mic(s).
> I think setting 0x0002 should get you what you want (left channel
> replicated to both channels). If not, try setting 0x0000.
>
> Takashi: if I'm right, we'll need two model entries instead of one and
> we should probably split off the verb array into three (base, stereo
> sum/dif mic fix, mono mic fix).

Right.  And, IIRC, some other Aspire laptops such as Aspire One have a
similar problem (the stereo differential from a PDM mic module), it'd
be a good workaround, too.   We need to check that, too...

Takashi