* How is /proc/asound/cardX/eld#Y.Z generated?
@ 2015-10-07  4:21 VDR User
From: VDR User @ 2015-10-07  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi. I was wondering if someone can tell me how exactly the eld files
are generated. Additionally, if they can be overridden somehow. The
reason is if I start x while my tv is turned on, the eld reports only
stereo audio capability for hdmi even though the tv is plugged into my
surround receiver. I don't care what the tv reports, my surround
receiver is 7.1 so I always want the eld to reflect my -actual- audio
channel setup.

Thanks.

* Re: How is /proc/asound/cardX/eld#Y.Z generated?
@ 2015-10-12  8:41 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2015-10-12  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 06:21:57 +0200,
VDR User wrote:

> Hi. I was wondering if someone can tell me how exactly the eld files
> are generated.

It's just showing the data passed.  Usually the graphics driver sets
ELD, and the hardware receives and transfers to the audio part.

> Additionally, if they can be overridden somehow.

No, there is no such a mechanism.

> The
> reason is if I start x while my tv is turned on, the eld reports only
> stereo audio capability for hdmi even though the tv is plugged into my
> surround receiver. I don't care what the tv reports, my surround
> receiver is 7.1 so I always want the eld to reflect my -actual- audio
> channel setup.

As mentioned, this is the information coming from the graphics side,
so the place to manage is rather the graphics driver.

Takashi

* Re: How is /proc/asound/cardX/eld#Y.Z generated?
@ 2015-10-12 17:57   ` VDR User
From: VDR User @ 2015-10-12 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Hi. I was wondering if someone can tell me how exactly the eld files
>> are generated.
>
> It's just showing the data passed.  Usually the graphics driver sets
> ELD, and the hardware receives and transfers to the audio part.
>
>> Additionally, if they can be overridden somehow.
>
> No, there is no such a mechanism.
>
>> The
>> reason is if I start x while my tv is turned on, the eld reports only
>> stereo audio capability for hdmi even though the tv is plugged into my
>> surround receiver. I don't care what the tv reports, my surround
>> receiver is 7.1 so I always want the eld to reflect my -actual- audio
>> channel setup.
>
> As mentioned, this is the information coming from the graphics side,
> so the place to manage is rather the graphics driver.

Thanks for your reply Takashi, and for pointing me in the right
direction. Hopefully there's an override for this on the graphics
driver side.