* No surround sound with ALC892 on B150M Pro4/D3 - fixed with hdajackretask
@ 2016-10-17 22:50 Benjamin Valentin
From: Benjamin Valentin @ 2016-10-17 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

I had a problem with mainboard insofar that it would let me select 5.1
surround output in my sound settings, but sound would only play from
the two front speakers, all other channels remained silent.

Some fiddeling with hdajackretask would generate a firmware where two
pins that were previously used for rear and LFE are now disabled and
two previously disabled pins are now configured as rear and LFE - I
left the other pins to their default setting as much as I could.
The generated firmware is attached below.

I'd like to help that this will work out of the box in the future, is
there any further information I can provide you with?

The board is an Asrock B150M Pro4/D3 [1] with the ALC892 HDA Codec.
alsa-info from before the procedure can be found at [2].

I'm running Linux 4.8/alsa 1.1.2 on Ubuntu 16.10

The generated /lib/firmware/hda-jack-retask.fw is

[codec]
0x10ec0892 0x18498892 0

[pincfg]
0x11 0x411111f0