* Clarrification about the alsa volume init framework.
@ 2011-05-10  6:48 Luke Yelavich
From: Luke Yelavich @ 2011-05-10  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,
So I am looking at cleaning up Ubuntu's collection of volume init db data originally set up in Ubuntu's/Debian old big init script. The switch has already been made to the new init system, and any existing settings were migrated from our old init script to the new system, however this is somewhat unclean.

Is my understanding correct in that the new volume init system was designed to have quirks for hardware that needs particular volume settings? If so, how would upstream like these to be submitted, and would you want to have several dozen or more quirk files in the init db for different hardware?
Thanks in advance.

Luke

* Re: Clarrification about the alsa volume init framework.
@ 2011-05-10  7:18 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2011-05-10  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Yelavich; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Tue, 10 May 2011 08:48:33 +0200,
Luke Yelavich wrote:

> Hi,
> So I am looking at cleaning up Ubuntu's collection of volume init db data originally set up in Ubuntu's/Debian old big init script. The switch has already been made to the new init system, and any existing settings were migrated from our old init script to the new system, however this is somewhat unclean.
>
> Is my understanding correct in that the new volume init system was designed to have quirks for hardware that needs particular volume settings? If so, how would upstream like these to be submitted, and would you want to have several dozen or more quirk files in the init db for different hardware?
> Thanks in advance.

alsactl init should be able to handle different hardware, in general.
Though, the current file handling (reading all explicitly from 00main)
doesn't look good for easy extensions.  If you want to add a new h/w-
specific init file, you'll need to modify 00main as well.  It'd be
better to look up all files (preferably with some extension like
"*.conf") in a directory, so that we need to just put a new file for a
new init quirk.

I know there are possibilities in preinit/* and postinit/*, but then I
see no reason why main directory isn't managed in that way.

Jaroslav, what do you think?

Takashi

Takashi

* Re: Clarrification about the alsa volume init framework.
@ 2011-05-23 22:40   ` Luke Yelavich
From: Luke Yelavich @ 2011-05-23 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 05:18:16PM EST, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> alsactl init should be able to handle different hardware, in general.
> Though, the current file handling (reading all explicitly from 00main)
> doesn't look good for easy extensions.  If you want to add a new h/w-
> specific init file, you'll need to modify 00main as well.  It'd be
> better to look up all files (preferably with some extension like
> "*.conf") in a directory, so that we need to just put a new file for a
> new init quirk.
>
> I know there are possibilities in preinit/* and postinit/*, but then I
> see no reason why main directory isn't managed in that way.
>
> Jaroslav, what do you think?

Just bringing this up to the top of the pile again, as I'd like to start moving one way or another on this, so I can get testing from users.

Thanks

@ 2011-05-24 10:47     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2011-05-24 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Yelavich; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Tue, 24 May 2011 08:40:07 +1000,
Luke Yelavich wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 05:18:16PM EST, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > alsactl init should be able to handle different hardware, in general.
> > Though, the current file handling (reading all explicitly from 00main)
> > doesn't look good for easy extensions.  If you want to add a new h/w-
> > specific init file, you'll need to modify 00main as well.  It'd be
> > better to look up all files (preferably with some extension like
> > "*.conf") in a directory, so that we need to just put a new file for a
> > new init quirk.
> >
> > I know there are possibilities in preinit/* and postinit/*, but then I
> > see no reason why main directory isn't managed in that way.
> >
> > Jaroslav, what do you think?
>
> Just bringing this up to the top of the pile again, as I'd like to start moving one way or another on this, so I can get testing from users.

You can implement the h/w specific stuff even in the current alsactl
init files.  We can change the better file management style later.

Check alsa-utils/alsactl/init/00main and other files there, go ahead
to add more entries you have gathered.  The syntax is simple.

thanks,

Takashi