From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
To: Rene Herman <rene.herman@keyaccess.nl>
Cc: alsa-devel@alsa-project.org
Subject: Re: snd-es1968 (+ snd-cs4236) trouble
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:58:26 +0100	[thread overview]

At Sat, 10 Dec 2005 21:13:20 +0100,
Rene Herman wrote:

> Hi Takashi.
>
> I have two soundcards in my machine; a snd-cs46xx card and a snd-cs4236
> card, which has always worked nicely. Today though I tried swapping the
> snd-cs46xx one for a snd-es1968 one, and this does not work.
>
> The second I modprobe snd-es1968, snd-cs4236 stops working. If I'm
> listening to snd-cs4236 at the time I get the last second or so repeated
> over and over again. Killing the app that was playing via kill -9 works
> and stops the repeating sound but does not repair things: when I try to
> use snd-cs4236 again after that, it's still the same -- I only get the
> first second or so repeated over and over.

This sounds like an irq problem.  But, still it's weird because cs4236
is ISA and should be basically intact from PCI driver.  One
possibility is that es1968 has a legacy feature to emulate ISA WSS or
SB ports, and this conflicts although they are disabled in the driver
code.

Anyway, please check whether only cs4236 is affected and other two
cards work.

BTW, if only the card number matters, you can pass index module option
for each driver (it's anyway recommended if you install multiple
cards).  Then the card is assigned as expected regardless of the
module insertion order.

Takashi