* Integrating Ubuntu 20.04 root file system in yocto for i.MX8M #yocto #kernel #linux
@ 2021-02-12 11:49 poornesh.g
From: poornesh.g @ 2021-02-12 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Greetings !

I am trying to integrate the ubuntu 20.04 Root file system with the yocto build . Ultimately my final image should consists of :

Bootloader and Kernel : From default yocto build system.

Rootfile system : Should be taken the ubuntu 20.04 RFS.

I am adding the ubuntu 20.04 rfs as a recipe in yocto, but I am failing to integrate this ubuntu RFS over the default yocto root file system.

Requesting your solutions and steps .

Thanks in advance

* Re: [yocto] Integrating Ubuntu 20.04 root file system in yocto for i.MX8M #yocto #kernel #linux
@ 2021-02-12 12:30 ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2021-02-12 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poornesh.g; +Cc: yocto

The first question is why.  It sounds like you want Ubuntu but the
bootloader and kernel built by Yocto.  I'm struggling to see what this
would achieve.

@ 2021-02-12 13:51   ` Robert Berger
From: Robert Berger @ 2021-02-12 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poornesh.g; +Cc: Ross Burton, yocto

Hi,

My comments are in-line.

On 12/02/2021 14:30, Ross Burton wrote:
> The first question is why.  It sounds like you want Ubuntu but the
> bootloader and kernel built by Yocto.  I'm struggling to see what this
> would achieve.

... a legal battle maybe?

Bring in the lawyers!

I would also ask:

"What is your use case?"
"Did you ask Canonical?"
"Does Canonical allow you to do this?"

 From [1]:

"Copyright licensing[1] and trademarks[3] are two different areas of
law, and we consider them separately in Ubuntu. The following policy
applies only to copyright licences. We evaluate trademarks on a
case-by-case basis."

 From [4]:

"
You can download, install and receive updates to Ubuntu for free.

You can modify Ubuntu for personal or internal commercial use.

You can redistribute Ubuntu, but only where there has been no
modification to it.

You can use our copyright, patent and design materials in accordance
with this IPRights Policy.

You can be confident and can trust in the consistency of the Ubuntu
experience.

You can rely on the standard expected of Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is an aggregate work; this policy does not modify or reduce
rights granted under licences which apply to specific works in Ubuntu.
"

"
Any redistribution of modified versions of Ubuntu must be approved,
certified or provided by Canonical if you are going to associate it with
the Trademarks. Otherwise you must remove and replace the Trademarks and
will need to recompile the source code to create your own binaries. This
does not affect your rights under any open source licence applicable to
any of the components of Ubuntu. If you need us to approve, certify or
provide modified versions for redistribution you will require a licence
agreement from Canonical, for which you may be required to pay. For
further information, please contact us (as set out below).
"

"
We do not recommend using modified versions of Ubuntu which are not
modified in accordance with this IPRights Policy. Modified versions may
be corrupted and users of such modified systems or images may find them
to be inconsistent with the updates published by Canonical to its users.
If they use the Trademarks, they are in contravention of this IPRights
Policy. Canonical cannot guarantee the performance of such modified
versions. Canonical’s updates will be consistent with every version of
Ubuntu approved, certified or provided by Canonical.
"

"
You can use the Trademarks, in accordance with Canonical’s brand
guidelines, with Canonical’s permission in writing. If you require a
Trademark licence, please contact us (as set out below).
"

"
You can use the Trademarks in discussion, commentary, criticism or
parody, provided that you do not imply endorsement by Canonical.
"

[1] https://ubuntu.com/licensing

[2]
https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/commercial-usage-of-snaps-and-dealing-with-licensing/6211