* can we allow -t abbreviation for --track in 'git branch'
@ 2009-05-09  8:50 Sitaram Chamarty
From: Sitaram Chamarty @ 2009-05-09  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello,

Would it make sense to teach "git branch" the short option
"-t" the same way that "git checkout" knows it, (ie., as an
abbreviation for "--track")?

I use both frequently, and often forget that in "git branch"
the short option does not work.

If people think it's OK I'll submit a patch (code and doc).

Regards,

Sitaram

* Re: can we allow -t abbreviation for --track in 'git branch'
@ 2009-05-09  9:17 ` Nicolas Sebrecht
From: Nicolas Sebrecht @ 2009-05-09  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sitaram Chamarty; +Cc: git

The 09/05/09, Sitaram Chamarty wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would it make sense to teach "git branch" the short option
> "-t" the same way that "git checkout" knows it, (ie., as an
> abbreviation for "--track")?

It makes sense for me.

> I use both frequently, and often forget that in "git branch"
> the short option does not work.

Same here. :-)

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

* Re: can we allow -t abbreviation for --track in 'git branch'
@ 2009-05-09 15:15 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2009-05-09 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sitaram Chamarty; +Cc: git

Sitaram Chamarty <sitaramc@gmail.com> writes:

> Would it make sense to teach "git branch" the short option
> "-t" the same way that "git checkout" knows it, (ie., as an
> abbreviation for "--track")?
>
> I use both frequently, and often forget that in "git branch"
> the short option does not work.
>
> If people think it's OK I'll submit a patch (code and doc).

I have <20090428152119.GA18935@atc.tcs.com> (aka $gmane/117790) in my
inbox.

* Re: can we allow -t abbreviation for --track in 'git branch'
@ 2009-05-10  4:23   ` Sitaram Chamarty
From: Sitaram Chamarty @ 2009-05-10  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

On 2009-05-09, Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> wrote:
> Sitaram Chamarty <sitaramc@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Would it make sense to teach "git branch" the short option
>> "-t" the same way that "git checkout" knows it, (ie., as an
>> abbreviation for "--track")?
>>
>> I use both frequently, and often forget that in "git branch"
>> the short option does not work.
>>
>> If people think it's OK I'll submit a patch (code and doc).
>
> I have <20090428152119.GA18935@atc.tcs.com> (aka $gmane/117790) in my
> inbox.

Thanks.  I posted it some days ago, but then began to wonder
if there was more to that change than I thought, and perhaps
I should have *asked* first.

Sitaram

PS: And I saw http://gitster.livejournal.com/33638.html only
just now... :-)