* [Buildroot] Can buildroot use existing host fakeroot?
@ 2022-03-16 16:22 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2022-03-16 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

I maintain some firmware that uses buildroot 2016.11.2 (with some
local package upgrades). Unfortunately, it seems I can no longer do
builds because host-fakeroot won't compile (it's too old for my
kernel/libc version of stat?). I tried updating the fakeroot package,
but that won't build because it doesn't know how to build
host-acl. [My target doesn't even support ACLs, so trying to get that
installed and working seems a bit pointless.]

My development hosts all have working versions of fakeroot already
installed.

Is there any way I can just tell buildroot to use the existing
fakeroot instead of trying to build its own private copy?

--
Grant

* Re: [Buildroot] Can buildroot use existing host fakeroot?
@ 2022-03-16 18:10 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2022-03-16 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 2022-03-16, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> I maintain some firmware that uses buildroot 2016.11.2 (with some
> local package upgrades). Unfortunately, it seems I can no longer do
> builds because host-fakeroot won't compile (it's too old for my
> kernel/libc version of stat?).

I've updated fakeroot, acl, and attr packages so that I can build
again, but I'm still curious about whether you can tell buildroot
to use pre-existing versions of host-side tools like fakeroot.

--

@ 2022-03-17 21:08   ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2022-03-17 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards, buildroot

On 16/03/2022 19:10, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2022-03-16, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I maintain some firmware that uses buildroot 2016.11.2 (with some
>> local package upgrades). Unfortunately, it seems I can no longer do
>> builds because host-fakeroot won't compile (it's too old for my
>> kernel/libc version of stat?).
>
> I've updated fakeroot, acl, and attr packages so that I can build
> again, but I'm still curious about whether you can tell buildroot
> to use pre-existing versions of host-side tools like fakeroot.

  Not as is. If you want to support that, you have to add a fakeroot handler so
support/dependencies/, and you have to update all places that use fakeroot to
use $(FAKEROOT) instead of $(HOST_DIR)/bin/fakeroot.

  (Or actually, what we should do is to create a symlink from $(HOST_DIR)/bin to
`which fakeroot` in the check-host-fakeroot.sh script. We don't do that for all
the other dependencies, but it would be a nice approach I think.)

  Regards,
  Arnout