* Question about the condition of fsck.overlay
@ 2018-03-14  7:20 Chengguang Xu
From: Chengguang Xu @ 2018-03-14  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhangyi (F); +Cc: overlayfs

Hi Zhangyi,

Please let me ask a simple question about fsck.overlay,
is it possible to run any kernel version of overlayfs?

I know some advanced features are only implemented in high
kernel version, I just want to make sure if the common check
and repair functions are available for 4.4 kernel? Any conditions?

Thanks,
Chengguang.

* Re: Question about the condition of fsck.overlay
@ 2018-03-14  8:38 ` zhangyi (F)
From: zhangyi (F) @ 2018-03-14  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chengguang Xu; +Cc: overlayfs

Hi Chengguang,

On 2018/3/14 15:20, Chengguang Xu Wrote:
> Hi Zhangyi,
>
> Please let me ask a simple question about fsck.overlay,
> is it possible to run any kernel version of overlayfs?

No, current fsck.overlay can recognize whiteout/redirect_dir/impure
xattr feature only, it don't know index and nfs_export features. So,
if run current version of fsck.overlay on overlayfs which was mounted
with index=on or nfs_export=on, if cannot guarantee the relationship
between dirs/files in indexdir and upper dir, so may lead to
inconsistency in indexdir.

This drawback will be addressed through introduce overlay feature
set as Amir suggested, I will post it soon and maybe write a NOTE
or BUG in README is better before everything is done.

> I know some advanced features are only implemented in high
> kernel version, I just want to make sure if the common check
> and repair functions are available for 4.4 kernel? Any conditions?

Yes, I think current fsck.overlay can support <= 4.12 kernel well(not
check origin xattr, but not harmful), it can support overlayfs without
index dir.

Thanks,
Yi.

* Re: Question about the condition of fsck.overlay
@ 2018-03-14  8:44   ` Chengguang Xu
From: Chengguang Xu @ 2018-03-14  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhangyi (F); +Cc: overlayfs

Hi Zhangyi,