* Sound not working after new kernel installed
@ 2015-10-14 12:22 Simon Wolk
From: Simon Wolk @ 2015-10-14 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

   Hello everybody,

   I don't know if my question is right here, but either way I am asking:

   I am using an old Benq notebook (Joybook S73) mit Xubuntu 15.04. When I
   installed a new kernel (then 3.19.0-16, but now I am using 3.19.0.28)
   the sound on the speakers stoped working and there were no more audible
   sounds. With headphones plugged in and a the highest possible volume I
   could hear very silent the music played on the PC.

   Up to Kernel 3.2.0-70 the sound worked fine.

   System update and upgrade unfortunately did not help. Do you have any
   idea what may be the problem?

   I did the following to show the chip used:

   simon@simon-Joybook-S73:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -i audio -A2

   00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High
   Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02)

   Subsystem: Benq Corporation Device [17ff:0600]

   Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

   simon@simon-Joybook-S73:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards

   0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

   HDA Intel at 0x6c400000 irq 29

   Thank you for your help!

   Simon

* Re: Sound not working after new kernel installed
@ 2015-10-14 22:43 ` James Cameron
From: James Cameron @ 2015-10-14 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Wolk; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 02:22:59PM +0200, Simon Wolk wrote:
> I am using an old Benq notebook (Joybook S73) mit Xubuntu
> 15.04. When I installed a new kernel (then 3.19.0-16, but now I am
> using 3.19.0.28) the sound on the speakers stoped working and there
> were no more audible sounds. With headphones plugged in and a the
> highest possible volume I could hear very silent the music played on
> the PC.
>
> Up to Kernel 3.2.0-70 the sound worked fine.

Does 3.2.0-70 still work fine?

A friend's laptop had an electrostatic discharge or electrical event
that damaged the audio codec chip, taking out the headphone detect and
headphone amp, and it showed almost same symptoms as you describe.  On
that laptop, patching the kernel to force the headphone not present
fixed playback from speakers.  I'm not suggesting that, but if you can
say the old kernel still works fine you can exclude damage as cause.

That leaves you with looking at the difference between 3.2.0 and
3.19.0, for the driver in use.

Try other kernels between the two, to figure out which kernel
introduced the change.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/

* Re: Sound not working after new kernel installed
@ 2015-10-15  8:34 ` Takashi Iwai
       [not found]   ` <trinity-2e394fe8-112e-4d76-a697-d35c721e754b-1444907835112@3capp-webde-bs08>
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2015-10-15  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Wolk; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 14:22:59 +0200,
Simon Wolk wrote:

>    Hello everybody,
>

>    I don't know if my question is right here, but either way I am asking:
>

>    I am using an old Benq notebook (Joybook S73) mit Xubuntu 15.04. When I
>    installed a new kernel (then 3.19.0-16, but now I am using 3.19.0.28)
>    the sound on the speakers stoped working and there were no more audible
>    sounds. With headphones plugged in and a the highest possible volume I
>    could hear very silent the music played on the PC.

3.19 is also already fairly old.  Use the later kernel for debugging.

>    Up to Kernel 3.2.0-70 the sound worked fine.

Please give alsa-info.sh outputs on both working (3.2) and the latest
kernels.  Run it with --no-upload option, and attach them.  Better
gzip them to avoid the size limit on ML.

Takashi

@ 2015-10-15 12:19     ` James Cameron
From: James Cameron @ 2015-10-15 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Wolk; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 01:17:15PM +0200, Simon Wolk wrote:
> The Kernel changed from 3.2.0 to 3.19.0 for me. By installing the
> 3.19. the sound stopped working.

Yes, Ubuntu kernels change like that, but you can easily run more
recent kernel versions, see Ubuntu Wiki page:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

While you wait for help, you can install latest v4.2.3 built 3rd
October 2015.

You can also test kernels between 3.2 and 3.19, if you don't get any
other help.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/