* Re: major variations in perfomance figures
       [not found] <trinity-1e9921b3-666b-4656-bcb8-a2125944698f-1427831168919@3capp-gmx-bs39>
@ 2015-04-03 14:22 ` Jérémie Galarneau
       [not found] ` <CA+jJMxuEdC4aaAZci3rwWM3sGJbyqchBeuVG2iTM5Ag11zKPwg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jérémie Galarneau @ 2015-04-03 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Rostek; +Cc: lttng-dev

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Wolfgang Rostek <wolfgang.rostek@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I did a first perfomance test extending the demo example
> by tracing 30 simple integers in a loop.
>
> For a similar CPU (i5 quad core 2.8GHz) I saw values
> mentioned around 250ns in the forum.
>
> I've tried the test several time and could come down
> to about 350ns. The machine was almost idle for all
> tests.
>
> What makes me wonder is a large variation with frequent
> runs giving me 750-800ns.
>
> Not the absolute time but the variations isn't clear
> to me. From my understanding the caller path is more
> or less straight to shared memory. Why do different
> runs show more than double the time for the traces?

Good question. Can you share the benchmark's code?
Also, make sure frequency scaling is disabled on your system; it could
explain these kinds of variations.

Jérémie

> Wolfgang R.

Jérémie Galarneau
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com

@ 2015-04-03 14:47   ` Wolfgang Rostek
       [not found]   ` <trinity-44577199-4bb4-4bf1-8595-785637f25968-1428072450572@3capp-gmx-bs60>
From: Wolfgang Rostek @ 2015-04-03 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Jérémie Galarneau"; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi Jérémie,

thanks for your feedback.

I've added only a loop to the end of the demo programm.

Frequence scaling I can't imagine on my dektop machine.
It is a jump between 350ns and 800ns. In the loop below
all the events of one test run are of equal time distance,
either slow or fast.

Wolfgang R.

https://github.com/lttng/lttng-ust/blob/master/doc/examples/demo/demo.c
tracepoint(ust_tests_demo, starting, 123);
for (i = 0; i < 5; i++) {
netint = htonl(i);
tracepoint(ust_tests_demo2, loop, i, netint, values,
text, strlen(text), dbl, flt);
}
tracepoint(ust_tests_demo, done, 456);
tracepoint(ust_tests_demo3, done, 42);

for (i = 0; i < 300; i++) {
if(i % 10 == 0) {
tracepoint(ust_tests_demo, done, i);         <=========
}
}

fprintf(stderr, " done.\n");
return 0;
}

@ 2015-04-03 15:21     ` Jérémie Galarneau
       [not found]     ` <CA+jJMxuOT-zRW4k74C-gD3n4XP3mWO4HGYCLu=LT+EnMuRncAQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jérémie Galarneau @ 2015-04-03 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Rostek; +Cc: lttng-dev

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 10:47 AM, Wolfgang Rostek <wolfgang.rostek@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Jérémie,
>
> thanks for your feedback.
>
> I've added only a loop to the end of the demo programm.
>
> Frequence scaling I can't imagine on my dektop machine.
> It is a jump between 350ns and 800ns. In the loop below
> all the events of one test run are of equal time distance,
> either slow or fast.

Frequency scaling can still definitely play a role, even on a desktop machine.
Also, Core i5 chips support Turbo Boost which should be disabled to
perform benchmarks.

I'm guessing you get your time measurements from the timestamps in the
trace?

Jérémie

--
Jérémie Galarneau
EfficiOS Inc.

@ 2015-04-03 15:34       ` Wolfgang Rostek
From: Wolfgang Rostek @ 2015-04-03 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Jérémie Galarneau"; +Cc: lttng-dev

> > Frequence scaling I can't imagine on my dektop machine.
> > It is a jump between 350ns and 800ns. In the loop below
> > all the events of one test run are of equal time distance,
> > either slow or fast.
>
> Frequency scaling can still definitely play a role, even on a desktop machine.
> Also, Core i5 chips support Turbo Boost which should be disabled to
> perform benchmarks.
>
> I'm guessing you get your time measurements from the timestamps in the
> trace?
Yes

I'm not hunting for a detailed benchmark. Only such a large variance makes
me thoughtful. For such a test I did expect some 10-30% but not this more
than 200%.

Wolfgang R.

* Re: major variations in perfomance figures
@ 2015-04-03 16:49 Jesper Derehag
From: Jesper Derehag @ 2015-04-03 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Rostek; +Cc: lttng-dev

* major variations in perfomance figures
@ 2015-03-31 19:46 Wolfgang Rostek