* question about spec hw reset
@ 2017-04-20 17:44 daggs
From: daggs @ 2017-04-20 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

I have a question about the hw reset flow. I'm maintaining a kernel driver (not the one in the linux kernel) for nvme which the company I work for uses for internal benchmarking, I was asked to implement an hardware reset.

I've followed the spec and did the following:
1. disable the en bit and wait until the ctrl is off.
2. set the shutdown bit and wait until the ctrl completed shutdown.
3. did a pci reset.
4. set the num of queues in the aqa register.
5. populate the acq and asq register with the physical addr ofthe buffers.
6. configure the cc register with the default values.
7. enable the device via the en bit and wait until the ready bit it set.
8. prepate a ctrl id cmd on the sq and send a doorbell.
9. poll for completion.

my issue is that I never get a completion for that request.
am I doing something wrong? is there any way to query the controller for status that might help me figure out what I did wrong or what is the status of the controller?
are there any limitations on the addresses the admin queue can use?

Thanks,

Dagg.

* question about spec hw reset
@ 2017-04-20 18:00 ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2017-04-20 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017@07:44:16PM +0200, daggs wrote:

> I have a question about the hw reset flow. I'm maintaining a kernel driver (not the one in the linux kernel)

And that's where I stopped reading!

* question about spec hw reset
@ 2017-04-20 18:21   ` daggs
From: Keith Busch @ 2017-04-20 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017@08:21:12PM +0200, daggs wrote:

> did I said something wrong? this driver is not intended for commrcial usage and will never by a competitor for the existing kernel driver.
> because the system in use is linux, I assumed someone might help me understand what I'm doing wrong.

This is just the linux kernel nvme mailing list and not the right forum
for enabling custom out-of-tree drivers that don't benefit us or our
customers. Of course, I don't speak for anyone but myself.

* question about spec hw reset
@ 2017-04-21  5:41       ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-04-21  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017@03:48:14PM -0400, Keith Busch wrote:
> This is just the linux kernel nvme mailing list and not the right forum
> for enabling custom out-of-tree drivers that don't benefit us or our
> customers. Of course, I don't speak for anyone but myself.

Fully agreed.  For question on NVMe spec interpretations there is the
NVMe technical working group mailing list.

* question about spec hw reset
@ 2017-04-24  7:12       ` daggs
> > did I said something wrong? this driver is not intended for commrcial usage and will never by a competitor for the existing kernel driver.
> > because the system in use is linux, I assumed someone might help me understand what I'm doing wrong.
>
> This is just the linux kernel nvme mailing list and not the right forum
> for enabling custom out-of-tree drivers that don't benefit us or our
> customers. Of course, I don't speak for anyone but myself.

I understand, I thought because it wasn't any competition for the exiting kernel driver (as mentioned in previous mail), I'd try and seek help here.
I apologize if I offended anyone.

Dagg.

* question about spec hw reset
@ 2017-04-24  7:17         ` daggs
> > This is just the linux kernel nvme mailing list and not the right forum
> > for enabling custom out-of-tree drivers that don't benefit us or our
> > customers. Of course, I don't speak for anyone but myself.
>
> Fully agreed.  For question on NVMe spec interpretations there is the
> NVMe technical working group mailing list.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware such mail list exist.

Dagg.