* realtek ALC1220 : recording samplerate 10x too slow
@ 2022-03-21 22:01 cblondin
From: cblondin @ 2022-03-21 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,
I was redirected here by pulseaudio maintainers for an issue I thought was at that layer :
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/-/issues/1344

After a fresh reboot, arecord / parecord work fine, and the level meters in pavucontrol react normally.
If I start audacity, the card gets in a state where the level meters become sluggish, and recording either drops 90% of samples, or records approximately 10x too fast.
Playback is always ok, unaffected.

I cannot fix that state other than by a reboot. The obvious "closing audacity", restarting the pulseaudio daemon, have no effect.
Tried kernels 5.15.24 and a recent 5.17; same problem.

I posted some detailed debugging info on that pulseaudio issue tracker, as well as pastebinned alsa-info.sh output here:
http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=7ee784003379252acfef25de5fecbdfd559fe342

The problematic hardware is Card 1, Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) HD Audio Controller [1022:1457].

Test command :
pasuspender -- arecord -D hw:1,0 -f S16_LE -c 2 -r 44100 arec_pasusp.wav

Here's an example recording of me saying 'test' :
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/uploads/5a51081fcd55ecd705df258c1a0fd2b6/arec_44k.wav

I have no ~/.asoundrc or related files.

Anything I can try to narrow down the cause of this ?

Thanks!
Chris

* realtek ALC1220 : recording samplerate 10x too slow
@ 2022-03-21 22:06 fenugrec
From: fenugrec @ 2022-03-21 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

[resent from the correct email address. Sorry !]

[...]

* Re: realtek ALC1220 : recording samplerate 10x too slow
@ 2022-03-23 15:12 fenugrec
From: fenugrec @ 2022-03-23 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

> Does it communicate with alsa-lib pulse plugin?  Or is it the direct
> ALSA device access?

Ah, good question. I'm not sure how to determine that but looking into it.
Tried strace but I wasn't sure what to look for in the deluge of info.

> Do you mean that the sound from arecord gets garbled?

Correct : playing back the file just produced (arecord -f S16_LE -c 2 -r 44100 arec_44k.wav),
sound is normal until I started audacity, then the rest of the audio is 10x accelerated.

> arecord, is it over pulseaudio (with alsa-lib pulse plugin)?

Probably ? alsa-lib is installed and pulseaudio running normally, and I just gave default options to arecord.

> No, I mean the way to trigger without audacity

I understand. I haven't found a simpler way (yet).

Thanks,
Chris