* Possible solution to the "open_ctree" boot bug ...
@ 2013-06-02 14:45 George Mitchell
From: George Mitchell @ 2013-06-02 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

I am seeing a huge improvement in boot performance since doing a system
wide file by file defragementation of metadata.  In fact in the four
sequential boots since completing this process, I have not seen one
open_ctree failure so far.  This leads me to suspect that the open_ctree
boot failures that have been plaguing me since install have been related
to metadata fragmentation.  So I would advise anyone else experiencing
open_ctree boot problems to defragment their metatdata and see if that
helps.  It certainly seems to have helped me in that regard.

* Re: Possible solution to the "open_ctree" boot bug ...
@ 2013-06-06 20:58 ` Kai Krakow
From: Kai Krakow @ 2013-06-06 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

George Mitchell <george@chinilu.com> schrieb:

> I am seeing a huge improvement in boot performance since doing a system
> wide file by file defragementation of metadata.  In fact in the four
> sequential boots since completing this process, I have not seen one
> open_ctree failure so far.  This leads me to suspect that the open_ctree
> boot failures that have been plaguing me since install have been related
> to metadata fragmentation.  So I would advise anyone else experiencing
> open_ctree boot problems to defragment their metatdata and see if that
> helps.  It certainly seems to have helped me in that regard.

I suspect this observation comes from btrfs being able to faster initialize
itself during kernel detection since you defragmented it. Try to add
root_delay=2 to your kernel command line and see if it improves on this
particular problem.

I had this myself and root_delay=1 fixed it for me. Before, in about 90% of
all boots it came up with the ctree error. After, it never happened again.

Regards,
Kai

* Re: Possible solution to the "open_ctree" boot bug ...
@ 2013-06-06 23:48   ` George Mitchell
       [not found]     ` <CAMthOuPif30y4JPrNGhnUteajkck65FjwTss0vVFvCs7EM+gvQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: George Mitchell @ 2013-06-06 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Krakow; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 06/06/2013 01:58 PM, Kai Krakow wrote:
> George Mitchell <george@chinilu.com> schrieb:
>
>> I am seeing a huge improvement in boot performance since doing a system
>> wide file by file defragementation of metadata.  In fact in the four
>> sequential boots since completing this process, I have not seen one
>> open_ctree failure so far.  This leads me to suspect that the open_ctree
>> boot failures that have been plaguing me since install have been related
>> to metadata fragmentation.  So I would advise anyone else experiencing
>> open_ctree boot problems to defragment their metatdata and see if that
>> helps.  It certainly seems to have helped me in that regard.
> I suspect this observation comes from btrfs being able to faster initialize
> itself during kernel detection since you defragmented it. Try to add
> root_delay=2 to your kernel command line and see if it improves on this
> particular problem.
>
> I had this myself and root_delay=1 fixed it for me. Before, in about 90% of
> all boots it came up with the ctree error. After, it never happened again.
>
> Regards,
> Kai

Thanks,  I tried that route and it, unfortunately, did not do anything
for me.  But the defragmentation continues to do the job every time.  I
am now going to make everything on the OS side "nodatacow" and am
expecting that will further relieve the problem. The problem NEVER
occurs in a normal environment, only in the initrd environment.  There
is something uniquely different about the initrd environment that
triggers this problem.

@ 2013-06-09 13:40       ` George Mitchell
From: George Mitchell @ 2013-06-09 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-btrfs

On 06/09/2013 01:24 AM, Kai Krakow wrote:

> Actually it should be called "rootdelay"... My fault...

Thanks again,  I have added it, will see what happens, I am looking for
anything that might help at this point, so I am very appreciative!  - George

@ 2013-06-11  0:56       ` George Mitchell
From: George Mitchell @ 2013-06-11  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-btrfs

I tried this once before and it didn't work and now I tried it again and
it still didn't work.  But then I became a bit suspicious of WHY it was
not working.  I used a number of different delay intervals and carefully
compared them with each other and with no delay specified in the system
logs (journal).  What I found was absolutely identical boot orders. How
on earth can bootdelay work if dracut/initrd is not honoring bootdelay
option presented by grub?  This becomes so maddening when trying to deal
with one bug only to run straight into the jaws of another.  In any
case, thanks Kai for trying to help with this.  At this point I have
opened a bug report against dracut on this issue.  One way or another we
will get there I suppose.  In the mean time I suppose I had better just
try to relax and enjoy all the excitement.  - George