From: Matthieu Moy <Matthieu.Moy@grenoble-inp.fr>
To: Mathias Lafeldt <mathias.lafeldt@gmail.com>
Cc: "Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason" <avarab@gmail.com>, git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sharness - Test library derived from Git
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 13:45:26 +0200	[thread overview]

Mathias Lafeldt <mathias.lafeldt@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
> <avarab@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps to avoid duplication we could move to this and keep
>> Git-specific function in some other file.
>
> That would be fantastic! From a technical point of view, it would make
> a lot of sense to join forces here.

Seems to be a reasonable goal, yes. The test harness in Git keeps
improving, and Sharness is likely to improve also, it would be a pity to
have them diverge and not benefit from each other.

> How do you think would Sharness fit into the Git project? Is adding it
> as an external dependency an option?

It would be nice if the code sharing did not result in extra pain for
users and testers, so "external dependency" in the sense "not included
in git.git and ask the user to install it" is IMHO a bad idea.
Increasing the effort needed to run the testsuite means more people will
give up before running it :-(.

OTOH, having it leave in a subdirectory (e.g. $git/t/Sharness/), and
synchronize with stg like subtree merge would be nice for the user. We
already have something similar for gitk and git-gui, except that the
synchronization is normally one way (subprojects merged into Git, but
merging back changes that were made in git.git in these subprojects is
more painful).

--
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/