* [dm-devel] Question about which types of dm need to support DAX
@ 2022-09-16  6:56 Yang, Xiao/杨 晓
From: Yang, Xiao/杨 晓 @ 2022-09-16  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zwisler, toshi.kani, jmoyer
  Cc: snitzer, Shiyang Ruan, y-goto, dm-devel, Gu,
	Jinxiang/顾 金香,
	agk

Hi Ross, Toshi, Jeff and others

After reading the kernel patches[1][2][3] about dm, I think only three
types(linear, stripe and log-writes) of dm can support DAX now, right?

[1]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=98d82f48f1983ceef5c8d2f6c87bfee2918790ee
[2]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=beec25b4573bc310f5a12cf33207b20ecc30945c
[3]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=84b22f8378cf493524043a0a8dd567c58c64546f

In addition, I also saw that Jeff has added a check[4] for the DAX
support of dm in xfstests.

[4]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfstests-dev.git/commit/?id=fc7b3903894a6213c765d64df91847f4460336a2

I wonder why only three types of dm need to support DAX? Is there any
reason/history and use case?

Is it necessary to make other types (for example, thin-pool) support
DAX? If necessary, is there any use case for other types?

Best Regards,
Xiao Yang

* Re: [dm-devel] Question about which types of dm need to support DAX
@ 2022-09-20  2:17 ` Yang, Xiao/杨 晓
From: Yang, Xiao/杨 晓 @ 2022-09-20  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zwisler, toshi.kani, jmoyer
  Cc: snitzer, Shiyang Ruan, y-goto, dm-devel, Gu,
	Jinxiang/顾 金香,
	agk

Hi All,

Ping. Is there any feedback about the question?

Best Regards,
Xiao Yang

@ 2022-09-26 19:52 ` Jeff Moyer
From: Jeff Moyer @ 2022-09-26 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang, Xiao/杨 晓
  Cc: toshi.kani, snitzer, Shiyang Ruan, y-goto, dm-devel, Gu,
	Jinxiang/顾 金香,
	zwisler, agk

"Yang, Xiao/杨 晓" <yangx.jy@fujitsu.com> writes:

> Hi Ross, Toshi, Jeff and others
>
> After reading the kernel patches[1][2][3] about dm, I think only three
> types(linear, stripe and log-writes) of dm can support DAX now, right?

Right.

> I wonder why only three types of dm need to support DAX? Is there any
> reason/history and use case?

It was easy to add DAX support to those targets.  Note that if a target
needs to intercept I/O, then it is fundamentally incompatible with DAX.

Cheers,
Jeff

* Re: [dm-devel] Question about which types of dm need to support DAX
@ 2022-09-27 12:42   ` Yang, Xiao/杨 晓
From: Yang, Xiao/杨 晓 @ 2022-09-27 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Moyer
  Cc: toshi.kani, snitzer, Shiyang Ruan, y-goto, dm-devel, Gu,
	Jinxiang/顾 金香,
	zwisler, agk

Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

On 2022/9/27 3:52, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> "Yang, Xiao/杨 晓" <yangx.jy@fujitsu.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Ross, Toshi, Jeff and others
>>
>> After reading the kernel patches[1][2][3] about dm, I think only three
>> types(linear, stripe and log-writes) of dm can support DAX now, right?
>
> Right.
>
>> I wonder why only three types of dm need to support DAX? Is there any
>> reason/history and use case?
>
> It was easy to add DAX support to those targets.  Note that if a target
> needs to intercept I/O, then it is fundamentally incompatible with DAX.

How can I know which target needs to intercept I/O? Could you tell me
why it is fundamentally incompatible with DAX?

Best Regards,
Xiao Yang

@ 2022-09-27 14:38     ` Jeff Moyer
From: Jeff Moyer @ 2022-09-27 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang, Xiao/杨 晓
  Cc: toshi.kani, snitzer, Shiyang Ruan, y-goto, dm-devel, Gu,
	Jinxiang/顾 金香,
	zwisler, agk

"Yang, Xiao/杨 晓" <yangx.jy@fujitsu.com> writes:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks a lot for your reply.
>
> On 2022/9/27 3:52, Jeff Moyer wrote:
>> "Yang, Xiao/杨 晓" <yangx.jy@fujitsu.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Ross, Toshi, Jeff and others
>>>
>>> After reading the kernel patches[1][2][3] about dm, I think only three
>>> types(linear, stripe and log-writes) of dm can support DAX now, right?
>>
>> Right.
>>
>>> I wonder why only three types of dm need to support DAX? Is there any
>>> reason/history and use case?
>>
>> It was easy to add DAX support to those targets.  Note that if a target
>> needs to intercept I/O, then it is fundamentally incompatible with DAX.
>
> How can I know which target needs to intercept I/O?

There's no better way than reading and understanding what each target
does.

> Could you tell me why it is fundamentally incompatible with DAX?

DAX stands for direct access, and it is a mechanism by which a
user-space process can perform I/O without going through the kernel.

-Jeff

* Re: [dm-devel] Question about which types of dm need to support DAX
@ 2022-09-28  7:33       ` y-goto
From: y-goto @ 2022-09-28  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jeff Moyer'
  Cc: toshi.kani, snitzer, yangx.jy, ruansy.fnst, dm-devel, gujx, zwisler, agk

Hello Jeff-san,

> "Yang, Xiao/杨 晓" <yangx.jy@fujitsu.com> writes:
>
> > Hi Jeff,
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your reply.

> right?
> >>
> >> Right.

> >> It was easy to add DAX support to those targets.  Note that if a
> >> target needs to intercept I/O, then it is fundamentally incompatible with
> DAX.

I would like to know its use case.
Though my team has been made effort for a long time to remove experimental of FS-DAX,
we still need one more time to solve thin-pool (or other DM feature) v.s. DAX problem even if it is easy.

To be honest, I'm under criticism for taking such a long time and still not be able to remove experimental.
In addition, there are a few persons who insist Fujitsu should stop development of FS-DAX due to
too much time for development

I hope that my team can continue to make effort for FS-DAX.
If there is a use-case of thin-pool, then I'll be able to persuade such persons by it.
So I would appreciate it if you could tell me about the use case.

Thanks,
---
Yasunori Goto

* Re: [dm-devel] Question about which types of dm need to support DAX
@ 2022-10-15  8:27       ` Yang, Xiao/杨 晓
From: Yang, Xiao/杨 晓 @ 2022-10-15  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Moyer
  Cc: toshi.kani, snitzer, Shiyang Ruan, y-goto, dm-devel, Gu,
	Jinxiang/顾 金香,
	zwisler, agk

On 2022/9/27 22:38, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> "Yang, Xiao/杨 晓" <yangx.jy@fujitsu.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your reply.

>>> Right.

>>> It was easy to add DAX support to those targets.  Note that if a target
>>> needs to intercept I/O, then it is fundamentally incompatible with DAX.
>>
>> How can I know which target needs to intercept I/O?
>
> There's no better way than reading and understanding what each target
> does.

Hi Jeff,

After reading the code about thin provisioning target, thin provisioning
target depends on DM_BUFIO kconfig which is designed to cache I/O. Is it
what you said about "intercept I/O"? Perhaps, we have to drop DM_BUFIO
for thin provisioning target if we want to make it support DAX.

Best Regards,
Xiao Yang