* Ldap starting nis child?
@ 2007-02-06 22:49 Mike Marion
From: Mike Marion @ 2007-02-06 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: autofs

We're looking into some odd issue we're starting to have with our ldap
autofs setup, and as I test I tried starting our direct map daemon
without the --ghost flag, and it failed miserably.  the main moint
points started properly (--debug was on) like so:
automount[3217]: starting automounter version 4.1.4, path = /prj, maptype = ldap, mapname =
automountmapname=auto.projects,ou=automountMaps,ou=sandiego,ou=qct,dc=qualcomm,dc=com

But as soon as you tried to traverse that, it spawned a maptype=yp
child:
automount[7893]: starting automounter version 4.1.4, path = /prj/vlsi, maptype = yp, mapname =
 automountmapname=auto.projects,ou=automountMaps,ou=sandiego,ou=qct,dc=qualcomm,dc=com

Which eventually failed with a "RPC failure on NIS operation" and
bombed.

We're using 4.1.4 and have all the patches applied to the daemons.
Using a sles10 2.6.16.21-0.8smp kernel (has latest kernel patches, or at
least these: autofs4-2.6.10-20050404.patch).

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Staff IT Engineer-http://www.qualcomm.com
[watching a baseball game]

* Re: Ldap starting nis child?
@ 2007-02-07 13:54 ` Ian Kent
From: Ian Kent @ 2007-02-07 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Marion; +Cc: autofs

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 14:49 -0800, Mike Marion wrote:
> We're looking into some odd issue we're starting to have with our ldap
> autofs setup, and as I test I tried starting our direct map daemon
> without the --ghost flag, and it failed miserably.  the main moint
> points started properly (--debug was on) like so:
> automount[3217]: starting automounter version 4.1.4, path = /prj, maptype = ldap, mapname =
> automountmapname=auto.projects,ou=automountMaps,ou=sandiego,ou=qct,dc=qualcomm,dc=com
>
> But as soon as you tried to traverse that, it spawned a maptype=yp
> child:
> automount[7893]: starting automounter version 4.1.4, path = /prj/vlsi, maptype = yp, mapname =
>  automountmapname=auto.projects,ou=automountMaps,ou=sandiego,ou=qct,dc=qualcomm,dc=com
>
> Which eventually failed with a "RPC failure on NIS operation" and
> bombed.

To be honest, if you need to use direct maps, use version 5 and a recent
enough kernel. You can check the kernel patches in the tarball to work
out how much is in each kernel.

> We're using 4.1.4 and have all the patches applied to the daemons.
> Using a sles10 2.6.16.21-0.8smp kernel (has latest kernel patches, or at
> least these: autofs4-2.6.10-20050404.patch).

If you really must use v4 then use a more recent kernel and/or use the
patches in the v5 tarball and send a debug log.

Ian

* Re: Ldap starting nis child?
@ 2007-02-07 16:11 ` Jeff Moyer
From: Jeff Moyer @ 2007-02-07 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Marion; +Cc: autofs

==> On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 14:49:10 -0800, Mike Marion <mmarion@qualcomm.com> said:

Mike> We're looking into some odd issue we're starting to have with our ldap
Mike> autofs setup, and as I test I tried starting our direct map daemon
Mike> without the --ghost flag, and it failed miserably.  the main moint
Mike> points started properly (--debug was on) like so:
Mike> automount[3217]: starting automounter version 4.1.4, path = /prj, maptype = ldap, mapname =
Mike> automountmapname=auto.projects,ou=automountMaps,ou=sandiego,ou=qct,dc=qualcomm,dc=com

Mike> But as soon as you tried to traverse that, it spawned a maptype=yp
Mike> child:
Mike> automount[7893]: starting automounter version 4.1.4, path = /prj/vlsi, maptype = yp, mapname =
Mike>  automountmapname=auto.projects,ou=automountMaps,ou=sandiego,ou=qct,dc=qualcomm,dc=com

Mike> Which eventually failed with a "RPC failure on NIS operation" and
Mike> bombed.

Mike> We're using 4.1.4 and have all the patches applied to the daemons.
Mike> Using a sles10 2.6.16.21-0.8smp kernel (has latest kernel patches, or at
Mike> least these: autofs4-2.6.10-20050404.patch).

So, you're using submounts?  Posting maps would be helpful, here!  My
guess is that the autofs code is not looking up the maptype for the
submounts in the name service switch.  If I'm right, I think I've
fixed this in the RHEL package, and I should have sent that patch
along to Ian in my last patch set.

As Ian says, we'd like to focus development on v5.  However, you'll
have to tell us what your constraints are and we'll see what we can do
to work within those.

Thanks!

Jeff