* Diff topic branch + working copy changes?
@ 2017-05-16 19:31 Robert Dailey
From: Robert Dailey @ 2017-05-16 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Git

So for a topic branch based on master, I can diff ONLY my changes on
the topic branch by doing this simple command:

$ git diff origin/master...

However, this does not include uncommitted working copy changes. To
work around this, I can do this instead:

$ git diff origin/master

(No three-dot notation above)

However this implies a ".." notation which will include changes on
master that have been made after I branched my topic (I use three-dot
to exclude those).

Is there a way I can do the first diff but also include working copy
changes? The reason I'm wanting to do this is because with difftool in
particular I like to make changes on the "right" side of each diff and
have those changes carry over to my working copy as edits I can
commit. This doesn't always work, especially if those same files are
already modified in my working copy but not committed.

* Re: Diff topic branch + working copy changes?
@ 2017-05-17  2:47 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2017-05-17  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dailey; +Cc: Git

Robert Dailey <rcdailey.lists@gmail.com> writes:

> So for a topic branch based on master, I can diff ONLY my changes on
> the topic branch by doing this simple command:
>
> $ git diff origin/master...
>
> However, this does not include uncommitted working copy changes. To
> work around this, I can do this instead:
>
> $ git diff origin/master
>
> (No three-dot notation above)
>
> However this implies a ".." notation which will include changes on
> master that have been made after I branched my topic (I use three-dot
> to exclude those).
>
> Is there a way I can do the first diff but also include working copy
> changes?

I've wished this a few times, but the answer is no.  Not as a
short-hand like "..." anyway.

You can still do

    $ git diff $(git merge-base origin/master HEAD)

of course.

* Re: Diff topic branch + working copy changes?
@ 2017-05-17 13:39   ` Robert Dailey
From: Robert Dailey @ 2017-05-17 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: Git

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:47 PM, Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> wrote:
> Robert Dailey <rcdailey.lists@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> So for a topic branch based on master, I can diff ONLY my changes on
>> the topic branch by doing this simple command:
>>
>> $ git diff origin/master...
>>
>> However, this does not include uncommitted working copy changes. To
>> work around this, I can do this instead:
>>
>> $ git diff origin/master
>>
>> (No three-dot notation above)
>>
>> However this implies a ".." notation which will include changes on
>> master that have been made after I branched my topic (I use three-dot
>> to exclude those).
>>
>> Is there a way I can do the first diff but also include working copy
>> changes?
>
> I've wished this a few times, but the answer is no.  Not as a
> short-hand like "..." anyway.
>
> You can still do
>
>     $ git diff $(git merge-base origin/master HEAD)
>
> of course.

Thanks Junio, I forgot about merge-base. I'll create some aliases for now:

    # Diff Branch
    db = "!f() { : git diff ; git diff $(git merge-base @{upstream}
HEAD) ; }; f"

    # Diff Tool Branch
    dtb = "!f() { : git diff ; git difftool -d $(git merge-base
@{upstream} HEAD) ; }; f"

Since I use push.default = current, I always keep my upstream set to
the parent branch (origin/master, origin/release/1.2.3, etc). So in my
case these aliases work, but probably not for other push.default
settings like 'upstream'.

Would be nice in the future to have another revision specification
like @{wc} for "HEAD + working copy". I guess this technically isn't a
revision, but something along those lines. Or maybe just an
--include-wc for diff or something.

Thanks again!!

* Re: Diff topic branch + working copy changes?
@ 2017-05-17 13:40     ` Robert Dailey
From: Robert Dailey @ 2017-05-17 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: Git

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Junio, I forgot about merge-base. I'll create some aliases for now:
>
>     # Diff Branch
>     db = "!f() { : git diff ; git diff $(git merge-base @{upstream}
> HEAD) ; }; f"
>
>     # Diff Tool Branch
>     dtb = "!f() { : git diff ; git difftool -d $(git merge-base
> @{upstream} HEAD) ; }; f"
>
> Since I use push.default = current, I always keep my upstream set to
> the parent branch (origin/master, origin/release/1.2.3, etc). So in my
> case these aliases work, but probably not for other push.default
> settings like 'upstream'.

Correction: settings like 'simple'

@ 2017-05-17 21:17     ` Samuel Lijin
From: Samuel Lijin @ 2017-05-17 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dailey; +Cc: Junio C Hamano, Git

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would be nice in the future to have another revision specification
> like @{wc} for "HEAD + working copy". I guess this technically isn't a
> revision, but something along those lines. Or maybe just an
> --include-wc for diff or something.

I think the spec would *just* be the working tree, if it ever got
implemented - I don't think it makes much sense to say "HEAD + working
copy".

Maybe something like this would do what you want?

# Diff Merge Base

dmb = "!f() { : git diff ; ref=$(git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD); git
reset --soft $(git merge-base @{upstream} HEAD); git diff; git reset
--soft \"$ref\"; }; f"