* git grep argument parser bug
@ 2016-02-04 22:02 Dylan Grafmyre
From: Dylan Grafmyre @ 2016-02-04 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

In both ubuntu versions of git 1.9.1 and 2.7.0

    git grep '-test'
    git grep '--help'

Or any other expressions literal leading with a single dash or double
dash get interpreted as argument flags and not as search expressions.

What I expect is grep results for the literal strings "-test" and "--help"
What i get is git help output informing of wrong argument usage, or
accidentally turning on flags I didn't expect.

Work around; for afflicted users terminating argument parsing with `
-- ` works as it should.

    git grep -- '-test'

Confirmed on two Ubuntu [based] systems, Ubuntu Server 14.03 and
LinuxMint 17.3 [Cinnamon]

--
Dylan Grafmyre
Associate System Administrator

Email: DylanG@conversica.com
Office: +1 (888) 778 1004
Web:   www.conversica.com

* Re: git grep argument parser bug
@ 2016-02-04 22:18 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2016-02-04 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dylan Grafmyre; +Cc: git

Dylan Grafmyre <dylang@conversica.com> writes:

> In both ubuntu versions of git 1.9.1 and 2.7.0
>
>     git grep '-test'
>     git grep '--help'
>
> Or any other expressions literal leading with a single dash or double
> dash get interpreted as argument flags and not as search expressions.
> What I expect is grep results for the literal strings "-test" and "--help"

I think you'd need to adjust your expectations, then ;-).

This is how "grep" (not "git grep") works, and you use "-e", i.e.

	grep -e "-anything that begins with a dash" FILES...

to disambiguate.  If you are scripting, if you do not know what you
have in a variable, and if you are looking for the value in that
variable, you would always do

	grep -e "$variable" FILES...

not

        grep "$variable" FILES...

I think all of the above is pretty much the standard practice and
"git grep" merely follows suit, i.e.

	git grep -e "-help"

is designed to work that way to match users' expectations.

* Re: git grep argument parser bug
@ 2016-02-05  0:22 ` Duy Nguyen
From: Duy Nguyen @ 2016-02-05  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 5:02 AM, Dylan Grafmyre <dylang@conversica.com> wrote:
> In both ubuntu versions of git 1.9.1 and 2.7.0
>
>     git grep '-test'
>     git grep '--help'

(Un)Quoting is done by shell and stripped out before "git" is
executed. We just don't see them.

> Or any other expressions literal leading with a single dash or double
> dash get interpreted as argument flags and not as search expressions.
>
> What I expect is grep results for the literal strings "-test" and "--help"
> What i get is git help output informing of wrong argument usage, or
> accidentally turning on flags I didn't expect.
>
> Work around; for afflicted users terminating argument parsing with `
> -- ` works as it should.
>
>     git grep -- '-test'

Or you can do "git grep -e --test". UNIX grep faces the same problem,
and also has -e to deal with it.

--
Duy