* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2010-05-06 12:51 Devan Rehunathan
From: Devan Rehunathan @ 2010-05-06 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hello,

I am trying to setup a linux wireless access point using the 5GHz spectrum.

I have the following card:

http://www.compexshop.com/product_info.php/cPath/57/products_id/290

installed on a debian machine running 2.6.32.8. I have installed the latest
versions of the ath9k driver as well as the latest developmental release of
hostapd (0.7.2). When I run "iw list", I see that all the 5GHz channels are
either already in use or disabled. While I can manually set the channel to
a 5GHz, I am unable to set the card to master mode. Using hostapd
returns errors that the driver is unable to select a 5Ghz channel. I've also
tried changing the CRDA settings to no avail. I see that AP mode is
supported from http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k

I know this question has been asked before /msg01368.html. But I would
like to ask if what I'm trying to do is possible with the ath9k current driver?
Or do I need a patch msg00532.html? Or am I using the wrong driver?

Cheers
Devan

* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2010-05-07 18:21 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-05-07 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 05:51:52AM -0700, Devan Rehunathan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to setup a linux wireless access point using the 5GHz spectrum.
>
> I have the following card:
>
> http://www.compexshop.com/product_info.php/cPath/57/products_id/290
>
> installed on a debian machine running 2.6.32.8. I have installed the latest
> versions of the ath9k driver as well as the latest developmental release of
> hostapd (0.7.2). When I run "iw list", I see that all the 5GHz channels are
> either already in use

What do you mean by already in use?

> or disabled.

If it is disabled then you cannot use them.

> While I can manually set the channel to
> a 5GHz, I am unable to set the card to master mode.

Master mode thing is an old wext thing. New 802.11 drivers
use nl80211 and mac80211 drivers can only use nl80211 for
AP mode of operation.

> Using hostapd
> returns errors that the driver is unable to select a 5Ghz channel.

Providing logs might help, but likely this just means you
cannot use AP mode of operation on that channel.

> I've also
> tried changing the CRDA settings to no avail.

You are not supposed to, the settings that already ship should be
valid. If you still proceed on by changing your regulatory settings
you are on your own and you will not get support. For further details
see:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Regulatory/statement

> I see that AP mode is
> supported from http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k

Indeed.

> I know this question has been asked before /msg01368.html.

Whatever that is.

> But I would
> like to ask if what I'm trying to do is possible with the ath9k current
> driver?

Its open code, you can try to make it sing if you like, but overriding
regulatory settings is simply not supported. However, if you want to help
regulatory compliance that is supported. So for example if you have a JP
latpop that allows channel 13 and come to the US you can set the regulatory
domain to US to disable channel 13, but if instead you have a US card and
you go to JP channel 13 will not be enabled if it wasn't before, even if
you set your regulatory domain to JP. The changing of regulatory domains
on Linux then only helps regulatory compliance. The different regulatory
agencies are pretty strict about these considerations, for more details
on this specific topic you may want to read:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Regulatory/CRDA#Changing_regulatory_domains

Granted, I don't particularly think this is intelligent, I think instead
in the future legislation should change to shift liabilty down to the user
if a user does want to indeed modify regulatory settings. But today that is
not the state of affairs so we simply cannot support it.

If you're wondering why we have taken this stance then consider how you can
try to get proper vendor support from 802.11 manufacturers upstream on the
Linux kernel. On our second Linux wireless summit back a few years ago we
tried to address all the concerns vendors had for support. Regulatory was
on the top of the list. So, instead of working on proprietary crap solutions
we figured we could come up with better open technologies for regulatory
compliance, and at the same time get proper vendor support upstream.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/vendors/VendorSupport

We worked on that for a few years, got it merged and now today we have
proper vendor support from at least Atheros. Whether others will follow
remains to be seen ;)

> Or do I need a patch msg00532.html? Or am I using the wrong driver?

Breaking regulatory rules is simply not supported. If you do have a
channel that is enabled though and it does not work that is different
and for that you should post logs to the respective project list.

Hope that helps.

  Luis

* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2010-05-07 18:28   ` Peter Stuge
From: Peter Stuge @ 2010-05-07 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> and now today we have proper vendor support from at least Atheros.

I haven't seen much of that.

Yes, there is certainly some support, and I completely agree that
Atheros is being far more supportive than most if not all other
vendors, but I think the support has a long way to go before it can
be called "proper".

//Peter

* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2010-05-07 18:39     ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-05-07 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> and now today we have proper vendor support from at least Atheros.
>
> I haven't seen much of that.

Oh? You must not read the kernel git log then. Atheros is the top
802.11 kernel contributor.

> Yes, there is certainly some support,

There is support. Where we cannot support devices due to resources we
enable the community through documentation/code/etc, even firmware
open code.

> and I completely agree that
> Atheros is being far more supportive than most if not all other
> vendors, but I think the support has a long way to go before it can
> be called "proper".

What would you like? Can you point out an issue Atheros has failed to
address for their new chipsets? Take into account Atheros started
supported upstream for their new AR9280 chipsets. Everything older is
essentially coordination and working with the community.

  Luis

* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2010-05-07 19:58   ` Devan Rehunathan
From: Devan Rehunathan @ 2010-05-07 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hello Luis,

first of all thank you for the swift reply and taking the time to
explain to me the
details regarding the regulatory regulations. I admit it was not the
first thing on
my mind.

On 7 May 2010 19:21, Luis R. Rodriguez <lrodriguez@atheros.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 05:51:52AM -0700, Devan Rehunathan wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to setup a linux wireless access point using the 5GHz spectrum.
>>
>> I have the following card:
>>
>> http://www.compexshop.com/product_info.php/cPath/57/products_id/290
>>
>> installed on a debian machine running 2.6.32.8. I have installed the latest
>> versions of the ath9k driver as well as the latest developmental release of
>> hostapd (0.7.2). When I run "iw list", I see that all the 5GHz channels are
>> either already in use
>
> What do you mean by already in use?
>
>> or disabled.
>
> If it is disabled then you cannot use them.

When I run "iw list". The 5GHz channels are either disabled or already in use
for passive scanning. I've tried setting it to the correct country code (GB).

I have since managed to find a patch for the ath driver that allows
all channels.
While I suppose I could always regulate myself and use the correct channels,
I'd rather not have to modify driver code.

Do you have any suggestions on what I'm possibly doing wrong?

Cheers
Devan

* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2010-05-07 21:34     ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-05-07 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 12:58:12PM -0700, Devan Rehunathan wrote:
> Hello Luis,
>
> first of all thank you for the swift reply and taking the time to
> explain to me the
> details regarding the regulatory regulations. I admit it was not the
> first thing on
> my mind.

No problem.

> On 7 May 2010 19:21, Luis R. Rodriguez <lrodriguez@atheros.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 05:51:52AM -0700, Devan Rehunathan wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am trying to setup a linux wireless access point using the 5GHz spectrum.
> >>
> >> I have the following card:
> >>
> >> http://www.compexshop.com/product_info.php/cPath/57/products_id/290
> >>
> >> installed on a debian machine running 2.6.32.8. I have installed the latest
> >> versions of the ath9k driver as well as the latest developmental release of
> >> hostapd (0.7.2). When I run "iw list", I see that all the 5GHz channels are
> >> either already in use
> >
> > What do you mean by already in use?
> >
> >> or disabled.
> >
> > If it is disabled then you cannot use them.
> >

> When I run "iw list". The 5GHz channels are either disabled or already in use
> for passive scanning. I've tried setting it to the correct country code (GB).
>
> I have since managed to find a patch for the ath driver that allows
> all channels.
> While I suppose I could always regulate myself and use the correct channels,
> I'd rather not have to modify driver code.

I have outlined why this is not supported, good luck.

> Do you have any suggestions on what I'm possibly doing wrong?

I choose to not support you for the reasons already outlined.

  Luis

* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2010-05-07 21:41       ` Devan Rehunathan
From: Devan Rehunathan @ 2010-05-07 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hello Luis,

>> When I run "iw list". The 5GHz channels are either disabled or already in use
>> for passive scanning. I've tried setting it to the correct country code (GB).
>>
>> I have since managed to find a patch for the ath driver that allows
>> all channels.
>> While I suppose I could always regulate myself and use the correct channels,
>> I'd rather not have to modify driver code.
>
> I have outlined why this is not supported, good luck.
>
>> Do you have any suggestions on what I'm possibly doing wrong?
>
> I choose to not support you for the reasons already outlined.

I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. I do not want to use modified driver code.
I understand and fully agree with you reasons, hence my decision to
get the driver
working properly.

Cheers
Devan

* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2010-05-07 21:47         ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-05-07 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Devan Rehunathan <dr@cs.st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello Luis,
>
>>> When I run "iw list". The 5GHz channels are either disabled or already in use
>>> for passive scanning. I've tried setting it to the correct country code (GB).
>>>
>>> I have since managed to find a patch for the ath driver that allows
>>> all channels.
>>> While I suppose I could always regulate myself and use the correct channels,
>>> I'd rather not have to modify driver code.
>>
>> I have outlined why this is not supported, good luck.
>>
>>> Do you have any suggestions on what I'm possibly doing wrong?
>>
>> I choose to not support you for the reasons already outlined.
>
> I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. I do not want to use modified driver code.
> I understand and fully agree with you reasons, hence my decision to
> get the driver
> working properly.

Ah OK, thanks for your clarification. So you are using a vanilla
kernel from upstream? If so what kernel release is that and what
exactly is your issue? If you are trying to start AP mode of operation
on a channel with passive scan then please realize it will not work
*unless* you have a card which is world roaming (for Atheros cards
this consists of cards with a regulatory domain which has 0x60 set)
and only if the card finds another AP nearby on the passive scan
channels.

The world roaming AP-find thingy is an enhancements specifically
designed to enable beaconing technologies, not just AP mode of
operation. So you should also then be able to use IBSS and Mesh.

For more information regarding Atheros' world roaming stuff you can read:

@ 2010-05-07 21:54           ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-05-07 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 02:47:39PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Devan Rehunathan <dr@cs.st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Hello Luis,

> >> I have outlined why this is not supported, good luck.

> >> I choose to not support you for the reasons already outlined.
> >
> > I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. I do not want to use modified driver code.
> > I understand and fully agree with you reasons, hence my decision to
> > get the driver
> > working properly.
>
> Ah OK, thanks for your clarification. So you are using a vanilla
> kernel from upstream? If so what kernel release is that and what
> exactly is your issue? If you are trying to start AP mode of operation
> on a channel with passive scan then please realize it will not work
> *unless* you have a card which is world roaming (for Atheros cards
> this consists of cards with a regulatory domain which has 0x60 set)
> and only if the card finds another AP nearby on the passive scan
> channels.
>
> The world roaming AP-find thingy is an enhancements specifically
> designed to enable beaconing technologies, not just AP mode of
> operation. So you should also then be able to use IBSS and Mesh.
>
> For more information regarding Atheros' world roaming stuff you can read:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath

Oh and if you are world roaming do not set the regulatory domain
to keep the world roaming enhancements in place. Setting the regulatory
domain may lift the passive scan flags as passive scan flags are
an invention to help with world roaming. Countries have specific rules
so passive scanning makes no sense when you do know you are in a
specific country.

I should also note that the passive scan enhancements AP beacon find
thingy also only works for non DFS channels since we do not yet have
DFS master mode implementation. If we had DFS support for AP mode
of operation then we could enable this too.

  Luis

* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2010-05-07 22:01           ` Devan Rehunathan
From: Devan Rehunathan @ 2010-05-07 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 7 May 2010 22:47, Luis R. Rodriguez <lrodriguez@atheros.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Devan Rehunathan <dr@cs.st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hello Luis,

>>> I have outlined why this is not supported, good luck.

>>> I choose to not support you for the reasons already outlined.
>>
>> I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. I do not want to use modified driver code.
>> I understand and fully agree with you reasons, hence my decision to
>> get the driver
>> working properly.
>
> Ah OK, thanks for your clarification. So you are using a vanilla
> kernel from upstream? If so what kernel release is that and what
> exactly is your issue?

I'm using Linux 2.6.32.8 kernel modified to enable NEMO/Mobile IP.

If you are trying to start AP mode of operation
> on a channel with passive scan then please realize it will not work
> *unless* you have a card which is world roaming (for Atheros cards
> this consists of cards with a regulatory domain which has 0x60 set)
> and only if the card finds another AP nearby on the passive scan
> channels.
>
> The world roaming AP-find thingy is an enhancements specifically
> designed to enable beaconing technologies, not just AP mode of
> operation. So you should also then be able to use IBSS and Mesh.
>
> For more information regarding Atheros' world roaming stuff you can read:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath

Currently, the card I have defaults to the US domain. When I use CRDA to
chose GB, I get the correct selection of channels.

Ok, so basically with the card I have I won't be able to set up wireless AP.
I need a card which is "world roaming", correct?

Cheers
Devan

* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2010-05-07 22:07             ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-05-07 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 03:01:39PM -0700, Devan Rehunathan wrote:
> On 7 May 2010 22:47, Luis R. Rodriguez <lrodriguez@atheros.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Devan Rehunathan <dr@cs.st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:
> >> Hello Luis,

> >> I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. I do not want to use modified driver code.
> >> I understand and fully agree with you reasons, hence my decision to
> >> get the driver
> >> working properly.
> >
> > Ah OK, thanks for your clarification. So you are using a vanilla
> > kernel from upstream? If so what kernel release is that and what
> > exactly is your issue?
>

> I'm using Linux 2.6.32.8 kernel modified to enable NEMO/Mobile IP.
>
> If you are trying to start AP mode of operation
> > on a channel with passive scan then please realize it will not work
> > *unless* you have a card which is world roaming (for Atheros cards
> > this consists of cards with a regulatory domain which has 0x60 set)
> > and only if the card finds another AP nearby on the passive scan
> > channels.
> >
> > The world roaming AP-find thingy is an enhancements specifically
> > designed to enable beaconing technologies, not just AP mode of
> > operation. So you should also then be able to use IBSS and Mesh.
> >
> > For more information regarding Atheros' world roaming stuff you can read:
> >
> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath
> >

> Currently, the card I have defaults to the US domain. When I use CRDA to
> chose GB, I get the correct selection of channels.
>
> Ok, so basically with the card I have I won't be able to set up wireless AP.
> I need a card which is "world roaming", correct?

You can only use AP mode of operation on a card configured for a country
(not world roaming) if the channel is enabled and it does not have flags
which disable IBSS (the no-IBSS flag really needs to be relabeled as
no-beaconing) or have set the passive scan flag. But since country
regulatory domains do not have no-ibss and passive scan flags you can
only use AP mode of operation on channels which are clearly enabled.
DFS is not yet supported so those channels won't work yet either.

  Luis

* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2010-05-07 22:16               ` Devan Rehunathan
From: Devan Rehunathan @ 2010-05-07 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 7 May 2010 23:07, Luis R. Rodriguez <lrodriguez@atheros.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 03:01:39PM -0700, Devan Rehunathan wrote:

>> > Ah OK, thanks for your clarification. So you are using a vanilla
>> > kernel from upstream? If so what kernel release is that and what
>> > exactly is your issue?
>>

>> I'm using Linux 2.6.32.8 kernel modified to enable NEMO/Mobile IP.
>>
>> If you are trying to start AP mode of operation
>> > on a channel with passive scan then please realize it will not work
>> > *unless* you have a card which is world roaming (for Atheros cards
>> > this consists of cards with a regulatory domain which has 0x60 set)
>> > and only if the card finds another AP nearby on the passive scan
>> > channels.
>> >
>> > The world roaming AP-find thingy is an enhancements specifically
>> > designed to enable beaconing technologies, not just AP mode of
>> > operation. So you should also then be able to use IBSS and Mesh.
>> >
>> > For more information regarding Atheros' world roaming stuff you can read:
>> >
>> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath
>> >

>> Currently, the card I have defaults to the US domain. When I use CRDA to
>> chose GB, I get the correct selection of channels.
>>
>> Ok, so basically with the card I have I won't be able to set up wireless AP.
>> I need a card which is "world roaming", correct?
>
> You can only use AP mode of operation on a card configured for a country
> (not world roaming) if the channel is enabled and it does not have flags
> which disable IBSS (the no-IBSS flag really needs to be relabeled as
> no-beaconing) or have set the passive scan flag. But since country
> regulatory domains do not have no-ibss and passive scan flags you can
> only use AP mode of operation on channels which are clearly enabled.
> DFS is not yet supported so those channels won't work yet either.

Ok this and <//article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/38410>
explains my problem I think. So basically I need to get in touch with
the card manufacturer
to see if there is a regulatory.bin file for GB? With this, I will be
able to configure my card
appropriately and use it as an AP on the "free" channels?

Cheers
Devan

* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2010-05-07 22:21                 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-05-07 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Devan Rehunathan <dr@cs.st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 7 May 2010 23:07, Luis R. Rodriguez <lrodriguez@atheros.com> wrote:

>>> I'm using Linux 2.6.32.8 kernel modified to enable NEMO/Mobile IP.
>>>
>>> If you are trying to start AP mode of operation

>>> Currently, the card I have defaults to the US domain. When I use CRDA to
>>> chose GB, I get the correct selection of channels.
>>>
>>> Ok, so basically with the card I have I won't be able to set up wireless AP.
>>> I need a card which is "world roaming", correct?
>>
>> You can only use AP mode of operation on a card configured for a country
>> (not world roaming) if the channel is enabled and it does not have flags
>> which disable IBSS (the no-IBSS flag really needs to be relabeled as
>> no-beaconing) or have set the passive scan flag. But since country
>> regulatory domains do not have no-ibss and passive scan flags you can
>> only use AP mode of operation on channels which are clearly enabled.
>> DFS is not yet supported so those channels won't work yet either.
>>

> Ok this and <//article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/38410>
> explains my problem I think. So basically I need to get in touch with
> the card manufacturer
> to see if there is a regulatory.bin file for GB? With this, I will be
> able to configure my card
> appropriately and use it as an AP on the "free" channels?

No, GB is already defined. See:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Regulatory/Database

Only if you have a custom card and the manufacturer claimed for your
card to work with some wierd strange odd regulatory domains should you
have to talk to them. They would then sign off on what they claimed :)

  Luis

* [ath9k-devel] help
@ 2009-10-10  7:36 xushaofeng1987
From: xushaofeng1987 @ 2009-10-10  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Incredibly slow Atheros 802.11N card with ath9k
    I tried ath9k, which I put to work in master mode,and it works, but it is extremely slow.Its rate only reach 20Mbps.
    I used channel 1,and add option 'ht_capab' '[HT40+][HT40-]' ? ??option 'hwmode_11n' 'g' .