alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
* Working to make ALSA work on a gemini lake tablet
@ 2021-05-26 21:17 Sergio Callegari
From: Sergio Callegari @ 2021-05-26 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

I am trying to understand the issues that ALSA has on a recent gemini
lake tablet (the CHUWI HI 10 X) for which otherwise linux support is in
rather good shape.  In case I am successful, I'd be glad to try to set
up a guide for users encountering the same or a similar setup.

On this machine, even on very recent kernels, it is impossible to have
the soundcard recognized (only HDMI audio outputs are shown for aplay -l).

The tablet advertises Intel SST and to the best of my understanding that
implies that in addition to the basic Intel HDA support there should be
some codec chip that needs support too (this used to be the bytcrrt5651
in a previous version of the tablet not based on gemini lake). I also
see that in many similar pieces of hardware, regular (non HDMI) audio
support can only be activated by setting some GPIO outputs (e.g.,
https://github.com/danielotero/linux-on-hi10/issues/8).

My biggest element of concern at this point is that I am not able to
identify the CODEC part, nor to understand if some specific UCM file or
firmware file is needed.

I wonder if anybody could point me to some hints at how to properly
identify the hardware and the issue. I have windows pre-installed on the
system but even from there I have so far been unable to identify the
audio chipset properly.

Thanks for the attention and even more thanks for any help,

Best,

Sergio

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-05-28 14:16 UTC | newest]