alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
* [alsa-devel] sound/usb kernel modules as a DKMS package.
@ 2019-09-02 12:09 Hin-Tak Leung
From: Hin-Tak Leung @ 2019-09-02 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel, tiwai, g

Hi all,

I (We... this is kind of my 9-5 job) have been having some reliability issue with a Focusrite Scarlett Gen 2 18i20, and I was almost tempted to start looking at the windows driver, when I came upon Geoffrey's work. So I made the bleeding-edge sound/usb modules (for the 5.4 time frame) from Takashi's tree built as dkms modules against main line 5.2 . I hope this is useful for other people using USB sound devices.

https://github.com/HinTak/sound-usb-dkms

This make it easier  / faster to try out new code, without building the whole kernel.

I would appreciate tips and tricks about the Scarlett 18i20, as well as general recommendation for new professional gear of the same sort to buy.

Incidentally, Tobias Hoffmann (who wrote the first gen driver about 5 years ago) was my GSoC student working on printer-related matters more than a decade ago; I did some wifi/USB related work in the kernel (am listed in linux/MAINTAINERS) so you can assume that I am relatively happy with driver-related matters.

Cheers,
Hin-Tak

* Re: [alsa-devel] sound/usb kernel modules as a DKMS package.
@ 2019-09-02 13:06 ` Takashi Sakamoto
From: Takashi Sakamoto @ 2019-09-02 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hin-Tak Leung; +Cc: tiwai, alsa-devel, g

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 02, 2019 at 12:09:56PM +0000, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I (We... this is kind of my 9-5 job) have been having some reliability
> issue with a Focusrite Scarlett Gen 2 18i20, and I was almost tempted
> to start looking at the windows driver, when I came upon Geoffrey's
> work. So I made the bleeding-edge sound/usb modules (for the 5.4 time
> frame) from Takashi's tree built as dkms modules against main line 5.2.
> I hope this is useful for other people using USB sound devices.
>
> https://github.com/HinTak/sound-usb-dkms
>
> This make it easier  / faster to try out new code, without building
> the whole kernel.
>
> I would appreciate tips and tricks about the Scarlett 18i20, as well
> as general recommendation for new professional gear of the same sort
> to buy.
>
> Incidentally, Tobias Hoffmann (who wrote the first gen driver about
> 5 years ago) was my GSoC student working on printer-related matters
> more than a decade ago; I did some wifi/USB related work in the kernel
> (am listed in linux/MAINTAINERS) so you can assume that I am relatively
> happy with driver-related matters.

As a quick glance, the repository is just for deb-based distributions.
From my experience, users who eager to use the latest source codes tend
to use Arch Linux and Gentoo Linux. It's helpful for the users to
include some instructions just to use the code with DKMS system. Then
you could get any feedback from them as well.

For your information, I maintain out-of-tree codes to develop ALSA
firewire stack for a couple of years, as you start:
https://github.com/takaswie/snd-firewire-improve

Cheers

Takashi Sakamoto

* Re: [alsa-devel] sound/usb kernel modules as a DKMS package.
@ 2019-09-02 14:20   ` Hin-Tak Leung
From: Hin-Tak Leung @ 2019-09-02 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Sakamoto; +Cc: tiwai, alsa-devel, g

On Monday, 2 September 2019, 14:31:24 BST, Takashi Sakamoto <o-takashi@sakamocchi.jp> wrote:

> > https://github.com/HinTak/sound-usb-dkms

> As a quick glance, the repository is just for deb-based distributions.
> From my experience, users who eager to use the latest source codes tend
> to use Arch Linux and Gentoo Linux. It's helpful for the users to
> include some instructions just to use the code with DKMS system. Then
> you could get any feedback from them as well.

I added some quick instructions for non-Ubuntu/Debian systems. On the whole, it doesn't really add much to the work, as the debian packaging process really just auto-generates/insert the module version into the dkms.conf template I wrote. So for non-Ubuntu/Debian system, it is a matter of deciding on a version and edit/insert it manually, and copy the rest into the right place onto a system.

* Re: [alsa-devel] sound/usb kernel modules as a DKMS package.
@ 2019-09-03 16:27   ` Hin-Tak Leung
From: Hin-Tak Leung @ 2019-09-03 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Sakamoto; +Cc: tiwai, alsa-devel, g

On Monday, 2 September 2019, 14:31:24 BST, Takashi Sakamoto <o-takashi@sakamocchi.jp> wrote:
> > https://github.com/HinTak/sound-usb-dkms
>

> As a quick glance, the repository is just for deb-based distributions.
> From my experience, users who eager to use the latest source codes tend
> to use Arch Linux and Gentoo Linux...

I have added some manual-install instructions for Fedora, after trying them out myself on a Fedora 30 docker instance.
(and built the dkms rpm package within it). I'd expect Arch /Gentoo works the same way.