alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
* route and chmap
@ 2020-03-26 13:41 Jonas Holmberg
From: Jonas Holmberg @ 2020-03-26 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,
I use the route plugin to copy mono to both FL and FR (front left and
front right stereo) of the slave during playback. When get_chmap() is
called in the route plugin it will call get_chmap() of the slave,
which returns 2 channels with FL and FR positions, and then route
itself returns 1 channel with FL position. But the application that
called snd_pcm_get_chmap() on the playback device expected to get
position MONO instead of FL since the number of channels is 1.

Is the application wrong in not accepting the chmap or should the
route plugin have changed position from FL to MONO? Is it possible to
add something to the config (asound.conf) to make FL become MONO in
the reply of get_chmap() or solve the problem in any other way?

BR
/Jonas

* Re: route and chmap
@ 2020-03-27 15:50 ` Jonas Holmberg
From: Jonas Holmberg @ 2020-03-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: tiwai

CC Takashi.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 02:41:11PM +0100, Jonas Holmberg wrote:
> Hi,
> I use the route plugin to copy mono to both FL and FR (front left and
> front right stereo) of the slave during playback. When get_chmap() is
> called in the route plugin it will call get_chmap() of the slave,
> which returns 2 channels with FL and FR positions, and then route
> itself returns 1 channel with FL position. But the application that
> called snd_pcm_get_chmap() on the playback device expected to get
> position MONO instead of FL since the number of channels is 1.
>
> Is the application wrong in not accepting the chmap or should the
> route plugin have changed position from FL to MONO? Is it possible to
> add something to the config (asound.conf) to make FL become MONO in
> the reply of get_chmap() or solve the problem in any other way?
>
> BR
> /Jonas

* Re: route and chmap
@ 2020-03-27 16:23   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2020-03-27 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Holmberg; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 16:50:13 +0100,
Jonas Holmberg wrote:

> CC Takashi.
>
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 02:41:11PM +0100, Jonas Holmberg wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I use the route plugin to copy mono to both FL and FR (front left and
> > front right stereo) of the slave during playback. When get_chmap() is
> > called in the route plugin it will call get_chmap() of the slave,
> > which returns 2 channels with FL and FR positions, and then route
> > itself returns 1 channel with FL position. But the application that
> > called snd_pcm_get_chmap() on the playback device expected to get
> > position MONO instead of FL since the number of channels is 1.
> >
> > Is the application wrong in not accepting the chmap or should the
> > route plugin have changed position from FL to MONO? Is it possible to
> > add something to the config (asound.conf) to make FL become MONO in
> > the reply of get_chmap() or solve the problem in any other way?

Well, that's a small missing piece in the route plugin
implementation.  It may have a capability to translate the destination
channel map, e.g. by extending the config syntax.

If anyone has a patch proposal, I'm willing to apply :)

thanks,

Takashi