alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
* [alsa-devel] No sound with Realtek ALC298 on a Samsung Galaxy book
@ 2020-02-15 16:56 Aurélien Croc
From: Aurélien Croc @ 2020-02-15 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Dear ALSA community,

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy book 12" laptop and I installed the latest
Fedora version (31) on it. Unfortunately when I try to listen something there
is absolutely no sound from speaker nor headsets. I checked that volumes of
the different channels were max. I also checked for muting system but I didn't
found anything.
Of course it works perfectly under Windows.
I saw on internet that many ALC298 users had troubles with it. I tried
different options to the intel hda driver (especially the model one) but it
changes nothing.

Here is the alsa-info.sh output: http://alsa-project.org/db/?
f=871881e295972b9ecf252b25e90d659e38d939b8
I would appreciate some help in order to find a solution.
Tell me if you need more information.
Thanks in advance.

Aurélien

* Re: [alsa-devel] No sound with Realtek ALC298 on a Samsung Galaxy book
@ 2020-02-17  8:00 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2020-02-17  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Croc; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 17:56:58 +0100,
Aurélien Croc wrote:

> Dear ALSA community,
>
> I just bought a Samsung Galaxy book 12" laptop and I installed the latest
> Fedora version (31) on it. Unfortunately when I try to listen something there
> is absolutely no sound from speaker nor headsets. I checked that volumes of
> the different channels were max. I also checked for muting system but I didn't
> found anything.
> Of course it works perfectly under Windows.
> I saw on internet that many ALC298 users had troubles with it. I tried
> different options to the intel hda driver (especially the model one) but it
> changes nothing.
>
> Here is the alsa-info.sh output: http://alsa-project.org/db/?
> f=871881e295972b9ecf252b25e90d659e38d939b8
> I would appreciate some help in order to find a solution.
> Tell me if you need more information.
> Thanks in advance.

The BIOS seems broken, it just sets a single output pin.
You need to try to figure out the pin connections, e.g. via
hdajackretask program.  The headphone might work with that.
But the speaker output might need another special handling, and it's
nothing but trial-and-test with the existing quirks for similar
devices.  Take a look at sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c.

Takashi

* Re: [alsa-devel] No sound with Realtek ALC298 on a Samsung Galaxy book
@ 2020-02-17 14:03   ` Aurélien Croc
From: Aurélien Croc @ 2020-02-17 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel

> The BIOS seems broken, it just sets a single output pin.
> You need to try to figure out the pin connections, e.g. via
> hdajackretask program.  The headphone might work with that.
> But the speaker output might need another special handling, and it's
> nothing but trial-and-test with the existing quirks for similar
> devices.  Take a look at sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c.

Thank you for your answer. I tried hdajackretask but I didn't succeed to get
sound from headsets.. Maybe I didn't tried all the advanced features of this
tool..
I also tried some quirks from  your file but it changes nothing. There are too
many possibilities. It seems to be hard to test them all.

Don't you know a solution to get what is bugged or to get information about
which channel is linked to headets or internal speakers from Windows drivers?
I think about a tool to sniff communication between the driver and the sound
card? or read information from the sound card under windows?
Reverse engineering the Windows driver would lead to the solution but will be
very long for me since I'm not familiar with the Intel HDA card and how this
Realtek chip internally works.
Don't hesitate if you have any hints which could help me (and all the other
users of this laptop..)
Cheers,

Aurélien

@ 2020-02-17 16:19     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2020-02-17 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Croc; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 15:03:16 +0100,
Aurélien Croc wrote:

> > The BIOS seems broken, it just sets a single output pin.
> > You need to try to figure out the pin connections, e.g. via
> > hdajackretask program.  The headphone might work with that.
> > But the speaker output might need another special handling, and it's
> > nothing but trial-and-test with the existing quirks for similar
> > devices.  Take a look at sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c.
>
> Thank you for your answer. I tried hdajackretask but I didn't succeed to get
> sound from headsets.. Maybe I didn't tried all the advanced features of this
> tool..
> I also tried some quirks from  your file but it changes nothing. There are too
> many possibilities. It seems to be hard to test them all.

Yeah, that's the problem -- there are way too many device-specific
implementations and workarounds :-<

> Don't you know a solution to get what is bugged or to get information about
> which channel is linked to headets or internal speakers from Windows drivers?
> I think about a tool to sniff communication between the driver and the sound
> card? or read information from the sound card under windows?

Sometimes you have some data in *.INF file or such.  At least, if the
standard Windows driver (not the h/w vendor's one) works, the extra
configuration is usually put there.

Also, when you test the sound, don't use PulseAudio but test directly
with ALSA native apps (e.g. aplay with -Dhw:0 or -Dplughw:0, etc).
You can use speaker-test program, too.

And always try a headphone output at first.  The headset mic might not
work, but the headphone output is usually the easiest one to get
working.

Takashi

@ 2020-02-17 19:01       ` Aurélien Croc
From: Aurélien Croc @ 2020-02-17 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Iwai

> Sometimes you have some data in *.INF file or such.  At least, if the
> standard Windows driver (not the h/w vendor's one) works, the extra
> configuration is usually put there.

The Windows driver is the one provided by Realtek. The manufacturer ID is
"INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0298&SUBSYS_144DC14F".
I looked into the INF file which corresponds to this driver but I'm not sure
to understand it. There is a specific section attached to this device which
looks like:
[CusEffectSettingsMaxim.AddReg]
HKR,SSTPPCfg\{C75061F3-F2B2-4DCC-8F9F-82ABB4131E66}\SPK\EFX,16777217, 1,
1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0
HKR,SSTPPCfg\{C75061F3-F2B2-4DCC-8F9F-82ABB4131E66}\SPK\EFX,16777218, 1,
2,0,0,1,0,0,80,2

I don't know if the solution is in these lines or not..

> Also, when you test the sound, don't use PulseAudio but test directly
> with ALSA native apps (e.g. aplay with -Dhw:0 or -Dplughw:0, etc).
> You can use speaker-test program, too.

I tried again all the channels with headphone only by using only ALSA and not
pulseaudio. There is no sound at all.
Note that the internal microphone and the microphone of my headphone when it's
plugged in works very well..

> And always try a headphone output at first.  The headset mic might not
> work, but the headphone output is usually the easiest one to get
> working.

Thank you for your help. I hope we'll find the problem..

* Re: [alsa-devel] No sound with Realtek ALC298 on a Samsung Galaxy book
@ 2020-02-17 22:05         ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2020-02-17 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Croc; +Cc: alsa-devel, Kailang

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 20:01:05 +0100,
Aurélien Croc wrote:

> > Sometimes you have some data in *.INF file or such.  At least, if the
> > standard Windows driver (not the h/w vendor's one) works, the extra
> > configuration is usually put there.
>
> The Windows driver is the one provided by Realtek. The manufacturer ID is
> "INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0298&SUBSYS_144DC14F".
> I looked into the INF file which corresponds to this driver but I'm not sure
> to understand it. There is a specific section attached to this device which
> looks like:
> [CusEffectSettingsMaxim.AddReg]
> HKR,SSTPPCfg\{C75061F3-F2B2-4DCC-8F9F-82ABB4131E66}\SPK\EFX,16777217, 1,
> 1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0
> HKR,SSTPPCfg\{C75061F3-F2B2-4DCC-8F9F-82ABB4131E66}\SPK\EFX,16777218, 1,
> 2,0,0,1,0,0,80,2
>
> I don't know if the solution is in these lines or not..
>

> > Also, when you test the sound, don't use PulseAudio but test directly
> > with ALSA native apps (e.g. aplay with -Dhw:0 or -Dplughw:0, etc).
> > You can use speaker-test program, too.
>
> I tried again all the channels with headphone only by using only ALSA and not
> pulseaudio. There is no sound at all.
> Note that the internal microphone and the microphone of my headphone when it's
> plugged in works very well..

Aha, so the input works but only the output doesn't?
Then it's not about the basic stuff like pin configuration but rather
the missing COEF setup or such that is specific to Realtek codec
(and/or the Samsung platform).

Kailang, do you have any clue?

thanks,

Takashi

@ 2020-02-19  8:48           ` Kailang
       [not found]             ` <3045783.YgvgG0t98J@antimony.ap2c.org>
From: Kailang @ 2020-02-19  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai, Aurélien Croc; +Cc: alsa-devel

Sorry.
Samsung didn't request this platform need to support Linux.

@ 2020-02-19  9:05           ` Aurélien Croc
From: Aurélien Croc @ 2020-02-19  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

> Aha, so the input works but only the output doesn't?
> Then it's not about the basic stuff like pin configuration but rather
> the missing COEF setup or such that is specific to Realtek codec
> (and/or the Samsung platform).
>
> Kailang, do you have any clue?

While waiting for Kailang's answer (and I hope he'll get the solution!!),
isn't it possible to grab information from Windows? I'm sorry I don't know
very well how Realtek chip works but if the problem would comes from some
registers which are not well initialized isn't it possible to dump the state
of the realtek chip and its registers under Windows and compare it with the
one under Linux?
Because I'm not sure that revers engineer the Windows driver would really
easily lead to the solution.

Thank you again for your help.

@ 2020-02-29 12:37             ` Aurélien Croc
       [not found]             ` <3045783.YgvgG0t98J@antimony.ap2c.org>
From: Aurélien Croc @ 2020-02-29 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Kailang

Hi,

> Sorry.
> Samsung didn't request this platform need to support Linux.

I can understand that you can't work on my problem if your client (Samsung)
didn't paid for that. However is it possible to get ALC298 specs in order to
understand how to configure it (in particular a document which explains its
COEF registers and their meaning) and I will do the job.

Thank you in advance.
Regards,

Aurélien

P.S. : sorry for those who received this email twice: I had trouble with the
SMTP server..

@ 2020-03-02  7:00               ` Kailang
From: Kailang @ 2020-03-02  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Croc, alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Iwai

OK. I could try to request spec from our AE.