alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
* Low volume ad1983
@ 2014-03-13 13:20 Raymond Yau
From: Raymond Yau @ 2014-03-13 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>sam chan wrote:
>> i'm having a problem with sound volume being too low.
>> i **think** it's due to the levels of my channel map being
>> too low.....

>The channel map specifies which channel goes to which
>physical output.

>> my alsa-info...
>> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=3ba6278df3c6c4abe5196ad37f8015de7223ca8e

>> Simple mixer control 'Master',0
>>   Mono: Playback 37 [59%] [-39.00dB] [on]

>That is pretty low.

>> Simple mixer control 'Loopback Mixing',0
>>   Item0: 'Enabled'

>Why is this enabled?

seem driver bug

1) Should the volume control and playback switch of line out be named
as Front instead of PCM ?

Node 0x05 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400185: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="PCM Playback Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Control: name="PCM Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Control: name="Line Out Jack", index=0, device=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x3d, nsteps=0x3f, stepsize=0x05, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x23 0x23]
  Pincap 0x00000017: OUT Detect Trigger ImpSense
  Pin Default 0x01014010: [Jack] Line Out at Ext Rear
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Green
    DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0x0

2) dB max of virtual master playback volume is different from the
slave when slave dbmax of slaves  > 0

	control.1 {
		iface MIXER
		name 'PCM Playback Volume'
		value.0 61
		value.1 61
		comment {
			access 'read write'
			type INTEGER
			count 2
			range '0 - 63'
			dbmin -9150
			dbmax 300
			dbvalue.0 0
			dbvalue.1 0
		}
	}
	control.3 {
		iface MIXER
		name 'Headphone Playback Volume'
		value.0 61
		value.1 61
		comment {
			access 'read write'
			type INTEGER
			count 2
			range '0 - 63'
			dbmin -9150
			dbmax 300
			dbvalue.0 0
			dbvalue.1 0
		}
	}
	control.5 {
		iface MIXER
		name 'Speaker Playback Volume'
		value 61
		comment {
			access 'read write'
			type INTEGER
			count 1
			range '0 - 63'
			dbmin -9150
			dbmax 300
			dbvalue.0 0
		}
	}
	control.17 {
		iface MIXER
		name 'Master Playback Volume'
		value 37
		comment {
			access 'read write'
			type INTEGER
			count 1
			range '0 - 63'
			dbmin -9450
			dbmax 0
			dbvalue.0 -3900
		}
	}

* Re: Low volume ad1983
@ 2014-03-13 13:41 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-03-13 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Thu, 13 Mar 2014 21:20:46 +0800,
Raymond Yau wrote:

> >>sam chan wrote:
> >> i'm having a problem with sound volume being too low.
> >> i **think** it's due to the levels of my channel map being
> >> too low.....
>
> >The channel map specifies which channel goes to which
> >physical output.
>
> >> my alsa-info...
> >> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=3ba6278df3c6c4abe5196ad37f8015de7223ca8e
>
> >> Simple mixer control 'Master',0
> >>   Mono: Playback 37 [59%] [-39.00dB] [on]
>
> >That is pretty low.
>
> >> Simple mixer control 'Loopback Mixing',0
> >>   Item0: 'Enabled'
>
> >Why is this enabled?
>
> seem driver bug

Not really.

> 1) Should the volume control and playback switch of line out be named
> as Front instead of PCM ?

Depends.  For multi-channel setup, we take "Front", but in other
cases, it may become "PCM".  It's suboptimal, indeed, and we need a
better naming rule for the shared volume control.

> Node 0x05 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400185: Stereo Amp-Out
>   Control: name="PCM Playback Volume", index=0, device=0
>     ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
>   Control: name="PCM Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
>     ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
>   Control: name="Line Out Jack", index=0, device=0
>   Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x3d, nsteps=0x3f, stepsize=0x05, mute=1
>   Amp-Out vals:  [0x23 0x23]
>   Pincap 0x00000017: OUT Detect Trigger ImpSense
>   Pin Default 0x01014010: [Jack] Line Out at Ext Rear
>     Conn = 1/8, Color = Green
>     DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0x0
>
> 2) dB max of virtual master playback volume is different from the
> slave when slave dbmax of slaves  > 0

It's the designed behavior.  The Master volume is an offset applied to
the slave value, thus it's always up to 0dB.  The lowest value is
somewhat bogus, but it's anyway cut off under 0.

Takashi

> 	control.1 {
> 		iface MIXER
> 		name 'PCM Playback Volume'
> 		value.0 61
> 		value.1 61
> 		comment {
> 			access 'read write'
> 			type INTEGER
> 			count 2
> 			range '0 - 63'
> 			dbmin -9150
> 			dbmax 300
> 			dbvalue.0 0
> 			dbvalue.1 0
> 		}
> 	}
> 	control.3 {
> 		iface MIXER
> 		name 'Headphone Playback Volume'
> 		value.0 61
> 		value.1 61
> 		comment {
> 			access 'read write'
> 			type INTEGER
> 			count 2
> 			range '0 - 63'
> 			dbmin -9150
> 			dbmax 300
> 			dbvalue.0 0
> 			dbvalue.1 0
> 		}
> 	}
> 	control.5 {
> 		iface MIXER
> 		name 'Speaker Playback Volume'
> 		value 61
> 		comment {
> 			access 'read write'
> 			type INTEGER
> 			count 1
> 			range '0 - 63'
> 			dbmin -9150
> 			dbmax 300
> 			dbvalue.0 0
> 		}
> 	}
> 	control.17 {
> 		iface MIXER
> 		name 'Master Playback Volume'
> 		value 37
> 		comment {
> 			access 'read write'
> 			type INTEGER
> 			count 1
> 			range '0 - 63'
> 			dbmin -9450
> 			dbmax 0
> 			dbvalue.0 -3900
> 		}
> 	}

* Re: Low volume ad1983
@ 2014-03-13 17:48   ` sam chan
From: sam chan @ 2014-03-13 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> The channel map specifies which channel goes to which
>>> physical output.

ok.  i thought the values were a range, because the
controls makes it look like that.  maybe these ought
to be changed.

>>> That is pretty low.

i just use the Master switch as my main volume control.
i have PCM and other switches at 0 dB.

just to clarify the problem, it's not that i can't get
it loud enough.  it's that it's relatively quite low
compared to Windows.  in Windows, i barely have to up
the volume to get the same audible level.  the speakers'
physical nob is the same for both instances.

>>> Why is this enabled?
>>
>> seem driver bug
>
> Not really.

apparently, this is the only way i can get the Mic to
work for capture/recording.  but this a seperate issue.

thanks,
sam

http://p.sf.net/sfu/13534_NeoTech

* Re: Low volume ad1983
@ 2014-03-14  5:14     ` Raymond Yau
From: Raymond Yau @ 2014-03-14  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam chan

> On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
>  At Thu, 13 Mar 2014 21:20:46 +0800,
>> Raymond Yau wrote:

>>>  The channel map specifies which channel goes to which
>>>>

> ok.  i thought the values were a range, because the
> controls makes it look like that.  maybe these ought
> to be changed.
>

>  my alsa-info...
>>>>>

>>>  Simple mixer control 'Master',0
>>>>>

>>>  That is pretty low.
>>>>

> i just use the Master switch as my main volume control.
> i have PCM and other switches at 0 dB.
>
> just to clarify the problem, it's not that i can't get
> it loud enough.  it's that it's relatively quite low
> compared to Windows.  in Windows, i barely have to up
> the volume to get the same audible level.  the speakers'
> physical nob is the same for both instances.

Node 0x11 [Audio Selector] wcaps 0x30010d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x17, nsteps=0x1f, stepsize=0x05, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x17 0x17]
  Connection: 1
     0x03

when loopback mixing is enabled, the current driver remove the previous
"PCM playback volume" and set the amp at 0dB which is 12 dB lower than the
previous version