ath9k-devel.lists.ath9k.org archive mirror
* [ath9k-devel] linearity of ath9k CSI phase
@ 2016-06-13 17:00 Jeon
       [not found] ` <CAALvt2N_We7YMOm03LDPwY90HkJhtgxk=TPBH8VbCcFyZyrOQA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jeon @ 2016-06-13 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Dear ath9k developers,

I am currently working with Atheros CSI Extraction Tool [1] to get a true
phase of each subcarrier.

- Background

[2], [3] and many other papers claim that phase information from extracted
CSI contains two components: true phase and unwanted phase offset due to
subcarrier and time delay.
i.e., measured_phase = true_phase + time_delay * subcarrier_index +
phase_offset_due_to_txrx_mismatch
This equation can be visualized as below:

http://i.imgur.com/rk9Hh1M.png

(Please note that this figure is based on CSI tool for Intel 5300 NIC.)

It contains unwanted linear phase offset and constant phase offset. Since
the true phase is relatively small, it seems that phase is monotonically
increasing or decreasing in macro view due to the unwanted phase offsets.
We cannot see a tiny true phase currently.

To remove phase offset due to subcarrier, the mentioned papers are
attempting to remove it with linear fitting ax + b,
where a = slope of the figure, b = average of measured phase, and x =
subcarrier index.

After removing unwanted phase offset components, the true phase is
estimated.
This estimated true phase seems steady and consistent across a time
duration shorter than < 100 - 1000 ms:

http://i.imgur.com/AO89vYV.png

Note that Y-axis scale is reduece from [-50, 10] to [5, -3]

- My question

I want to extract and manipulate CSI phase WITH ATH9K NIC.

After extracting CSI from my ath9k NIC (AR9580 @ 2.4 GHz) with Atheros CSI
extraction tool,
I've tried various fitting methods to eliminate unwanted components and
stacked results from nearly 100 packets:

http://i.imgur.com/5r9eYwO.png

@ 2016-06-14  3:39   ` Jeon
       [not found]     ` <CAALvt2PW8kEakB2oVLOsatKCuhT9FsYJscvF_EQGXS7uUtn8-w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jeon @ 2016-06-14  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Dear Joe Ayers,
Thank you for response.

I don't have a sort of RF anechoic chamber. So, I've captured CSI in a
quite realistic and practical environemnt with possible interference and
multipath components. There are other WLAN APs, Bluetooth devices. Also,
there exist desks, chairs and walls as reflectors.

Yet, I don't think it does matter to capture CSI and estimate true phase.
My attempts are based on a couple of papers which have done estimating true
phase and AoA of a signal with uniform linear antenna array (ULA) in a
realistic and practical living environment [1, 2, 3]. Which means, those
papers claim that they can identify directpath component and multipath
components with MUSIC algorithm [4].

One suspicious thing is, I think distance between antennas of ULA is
misconfigured. I placed them 6.5 cm apart from each other. With
calculation, a half of wavelength at 2.4 GHz band is less than 6.25 cm.
Does it matter a lot?

Regards,
Jeon.

[1]: K. Qian, C. Wu, Z. Yang, Y. Liu, and Z. Zhou, ?PADS: Passive detection
of moving targets with dynamic speed using PHY layer information,? in 2014
20th IEEE International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems
(ICPADS), 2014, pp. 1?8.
[2]: J. Xiong and K. Jamieson, ?ArrayTrack: A Fine-Grained Indoor Location
System,? in Presented as part of the 10th USENIX Symposium on Networked
Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI 13), Lombard, IL, 2013, pp. 71?84.
[3]: M. Kotaru, K. Joshi, D. Bharadia, and S. Katti, ?SpotFi: Decimeter
Level Localization Using WiFi,? SIGCOMM Comput. Commun. Rev., vol. 45, no.
4, pp. 269?282, Aug. 2015.
[4]: R. Schmidt, ?Multiple emitter location and signal parameter
estimation,? IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 34, no. 3,
pp. 276?280, Mar. 1986.

> [...]
>> If it is not, should I look into Atheros CSI tool? As I look into it, it
>> just captures CSI from the kernel and does not modify it.
>> Or, Is CSI of Atheros different form that of Intel? I don't think so...
>>
>> The final goal of extracting true phase from CSI of ath9k is to determine
>> angle of arrival (AoA) of signal.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jeon.
>>
>> [1]: http://pdcc.ntu.edu.sg/wands/Atheros/ "Atheros CSI Extraction Tool"
>> [2] K. Qian, C. Wu, Z. Yang, Y. Liu, and Z. Zhou, ?PADS: Passive
>> detection of moving targets with dynamic speed using PHY layer
>> information,? in 2014 20th IEEE International Conference on Parallel and
>> Distributed Systems (ICPADS), 2014, pp. 1?8.
>> [3] M. Kotaru, K. Joshi, D. Bharadia, and S. Katti, ?SpotFi: Decimeter
>> Level Localization Using WiFi,? SIGCOMM Comput. Commun. Rev., vol. 45, no.

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

@ 2016-06-17  7:08       ` Jeon
From: Jeon @ 2016-06-17  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Dear Joe Ayers

Thanks for your response again.
I started studying and investigating on antennas theories.

Regards,
Jeon.