ath9k-devel.lists.ath9k.org archive mirror
* [ath9k-devel] What is the expected throughput of ath9k with 20Mhz channel bandwidth?
@ 2016-06-29  9:19 Le Tran Dat
From: Le Tran Dat @ 2016-06-29  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

I am testing AR9342 Throughput with 20Mhz channel bandwidth, using
OpenWRT/LEDE firmware.
However, the throughput result is quite low. About 65Mbps to 70Mbps while
the bitrate is 144Mbps.
While testing I monitor the CPU usage and it's still free for about 30%.
Is it the best it can do? How to improve it?

Thanks,
Dat
Dat

Sending from my iPhone
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [ath9k-devel] What is the expected throughput of ath9k with 20Mhz channel bandwidth?
@ 2016-06-29 11:01 ` Le Tran Dat
From: Le Tran Dat @ 2016-06-29 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

@ 2016-06-29 11:23   ` Matthias May
From: Matthias May @ 2016-06-29 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 29/06/16 13:01, Le Tran Dat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am testing AR9342 Throughput with 20Mhz channel bandwidth, using
> OpenWRT/LEDE firmware.
> However, the throughput result is quite low. About 65Mbps to 70Mbps
> while the bitrate is 144Mbps.
> While testing I monitor the CPU usage and it's still free for about 30%.
> Is it the best it can do? How to improve it?
>
> Thanks,
> Dat
> --
> Thanks,
> Dat
>
> Sending from my iPhone

How are you testing this?
On an 9580 using iperf and sending in the VI queue i get around:
TCP: ~94Mbit/s
UDP: ~122Mbit/s

BR
Matthias

* [ath9k-devel] What is the expected throughput of ath9k with 20Mhz channel bandwidth?
@ 2016-07-01  2:31     ` Le Tran Dat
From: Le Tran Dat @ 2016-07-01  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I did TCP test within RF boxes.

The results seems right to me because my AR9342 is 2 streams and I can get
65-70.
With your 9580, If I am not wrong, is 3 streams, you can get up to 95.

However, I am going to test 9558 to see how much it can go. I expected 2
streams 20Mhz to get around 90Mbps.

Thanks,
Dat

My AR9342 is 2 streams

@ 2016-07-01  6:25       ` sandeep suresh
From: sandeep suresh @ 2016-07-01  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Dear experts,Has anyone has the throughput numbers for AR9287? On a 802.11g (20MHz), I could measure < 20Mbps with iPerf.And are the below measurements done in an anechoic chamber free from other WiFi traffic and only 2 clients (source and sink for iPef) connected to a WiFi AP?Regards
Sandeep.

@ 2016-07-01  7:29       ` Matthias May
From: Matthias May @ 2016-07-01  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 01/07/16 04:31, Le Tran Dat wrote:
> I did TCP test within RF boxes.
>
> The results seems right to me because my AR9342 is 2 streams and I can
> get 65-70.
> With your 9580, If I am not wrong, is 3 streams, you can get up to 95.
>
> However, I am going to test 9558 to see how much it can go. I expected 2
> streams 20Mhz to get around 90Mbps.
>
> Thanks,
> Dat
>
> My AR9342 is 2 streams
>
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 at 19:33 Matthias May <matthias.may@neratec.com
> <mailto:matthias.may@neratec.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 29/06/16 13:01, Le Tran Dat wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I am testing AR9342 Throughput with 20Mhz channel bandwidth, using
>     > OpenWRT/LEDE firmware.
>     > However, the throughput result is quite low. About 65Mbps to 70Mbps
>     > while the bitrate is 144Mbps.
>     > While testing I monitor the CPU usage and it's still free for
>     about 30%.
>     > Is it the best it can do? How to improve it?
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     > Dat
>     > --
>     > Thanks,
>     > Dat
>     >
>     > Sending from my iPhone
>     >
>     >
>     > ath9k-devel mailing list
>     > ath9k-devel at lists.ath9k.org <mailto:ath9k-devel@lists.ath9k.org>
>     >

>     How are you testing this?
>     On an 9580 using iperf and sending in the VI queue i get around:
>     TCP: ~94Mbit/s
>     UDP: ~122Mbit/s
>
>     BR
>     Matthias

> Thanks,
> Dat
>
> Sending from my iPhone

These numbers are with 2 streams.
With 3 streams i get
TCP: 140 Mbit/s
UDP: ~180Mbit/s

BR
Matthia

* [ath9k-devel] What is the expected throughput of ath9k with 20Mhz channel bandwidth?
@ 2016-07-01  8:57         ` Le Tran Dat
From: Le Tran Dat @ 2016-07-01  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Thank you for your information, I did another test for AR9342 and the
result is quite good compare with what you get.

AR9342 - 20MHz
TCP: 90 Mbps

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 at 15:29 Matthias May <matthias.may@neratec.com> wrote:

> These numbers are with 2 streams.