b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
@ 2008-01-15 11:20 Carlo Beccia
From: Carlo Beccia @ 2008-01-15 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi all,
a basic question for you guys...

How can I compile the stuff https://dev.open-mesh.net/svn/batman/trunk/batman-adv-kernelland/ into openwrt...I would like to try the layer 2 version on my fonera router....

I don't understand if I have to integrate it in a package inside the menuconfig or I can build everything off from the standard configuration...

From Makefile I understand that the module is not actually integrated into the firmware but it is compiled outside of the menuconfig and then insmod on the target...
I need some hint to create a right build environment...

Thank you in advance

Ciao, Carlo.
Scarica GRATIS le tue emoticon preferite!
http://intrattenimento.it.msn.com/emoticon/

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
@ 2008-01-15 11:43 ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2008-01-15 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi,

> How can I compile the stuff
> https://dev.open-mesh.net/svn/batman/trunk/batman-adv-kernelland/ into
> openwrt...I would like to try the layer 2 version on my fonera router....

currently I'm working on the batman openwrt integration. It is a bit tricky
and I'm not 100% finished yet. It will be included in the latest kamikaze
trunk. Either you wait some more days or I send you my current status.

> I don't understand if I have to integrate it in a package inside the
> menuconfig or I can build everything off from the standard configuration...

You can't use the standard configuration.

Greetings,
Marek

* RE: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
@ 2008-01-15 12:59   ` Carlo Beccia
From: Carlo Beccia @ 2008-01-15 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi Marek,
thank you for your quick reply....

I would like to compile the module...I don't need the complete openwrt integration...
I would like to see and study your (you all) work on kernel space.....

At the moment I have already build a custom openwrt firmware....but from what I understand I need to patch the madwifi driver to support the new feature and recompile the driver....then I can build the batman module...
I need only some hint on what steps to take in order to compile the module...I doesn't seem so difficult but i wanna follow the right steps...

Obviously if I don't waste your time.....

Regards, Carlo

> From: lindner_marek@yahoo.de
> To: b.a.t.m.a.n@open-mesh.net
> Subject: Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:43:27 +0100
>

> Hi,
>
> > How can I compile the stuff
> > https://dev.open-mesh.net/svn/batman/trunk/batman-adv-kernelland/ into
> > openwrt...I would like to try the layer 2 version on my fonera router....
>
> currently I'm working on the batman openwrt integration. It is a bit tricky
> and I'm not 100% finished yet. It will be included in the latest kamikaze
> trunk. Either you wait some more days or I send you my current status.
>

> > I don't understand if I have to integrate it in a package inside the
> > menuconfig or I can build everything off from the standard configuration...
>
> You can't use the standard configuration.
>
> Greetings,
> Marek

Ti piace giocare con le lettere? Prova ABCLive!
http://messengergiochi.it.msn.com/

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
@ 2008-01-15 14:25     ` Simon Wunderlich
From: Simon Wunderlich @ 2008-01-15 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hello Carlo,

batman-adv-kernelland is currently not integrated in madwifi (this is
just another idea on our TODO list). You only need to compile the
batman-adv-kernelland/batman-core/ directory against your kernel.
This gives you the batman-adv-core.ko module which you can insmod and is
independent from madwifi (and any other driver).

Best Regards,
	Simon

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:59:00PM +0000, Carlo Beccia wrote:

> Hi Marek,
> thank you for your quick reply....
>
> I would like to compile the module...I don't need the complete openwrt integration...
> I would like to see and study your (you all) work on kernel space.....
>
> At the moment I have already build a custom openwrt firmware....but from what I understand I need to patch the madwifi driver to support the new feature and recompile the driver....then I can build the batman module...
> I need only some hint on what steps to take in order to compile the module...I doesn't seem so difficult but i wanna follow the right steps...
>
> Obviously if I don't waste your time.....
>
> Regards, Carlo

> > From: lindner_marek@yahoo.de
> > To: b.a.t.m.a.n@open-mesh.net
> > Subject: Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
> > Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:43:27 +0100
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > > How can I compile the stuff
> > > https://dev.open-mesh.net/svn/batman/trunk/batman-adv-kernelland/ into
> > > openwrt...I would like to try the layer 2 version on my fonera router....
> >
> > currently I'm working on the batman openwrt integration. It is a bit tricky
> > and I'm not 100% finished yet. It will be included in the latest kamikaze
> > trunk. Either you wait some more days or I send you my current status.
> >

> > > I don't understand if I have to integrate it in a package inside the
> > > menuconfig or I can build everything off from the standard configuration...
> >
> > You can't use the standard configuration.
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Marek

* RE: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
@ 2008-01-15 14:41       ` Carlo Beccia
From: Carlo Beccia @ 2008-01-15 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi Simon,
thank you very much...much easier then I tought....probably I was wrong because of the madwifi directories into the svn repository....
Ok tonight I will try....

Thank you very much again...

Regards, Carlo

> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:25:36 +0100
> From: simon.wunderlich@s2003.tu-chemnitz.de
> To: b.a.t.m.a.n@open-mesh.net
> Subject: Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
>
> Hello Carlo,
>
> batman-adv-kernelland is currently not integrated in madwifi (this is
> just another idea on our TODO list). You only need to compile the
> batman-adv-kernelland/batman-core/ directory against your kernel.
> This gives you the batman-adv-core.ko module which you can insmod and is
> independent from madwifi (and any other driver).
>
> Best Regards,
> 	Simon
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:59:00PM +0000, Carlo Beccia wrote:
> >

> > Hi Marek,
> > thank you for your quick reply....
> >
> > I would like to compile the module...I don't need the complete openwrt integration...
> > I would like to see and study your (you all) work on kernel space.....
> >
> > At the moment I have already build a custom openwrt firmware....but from what I understand I need to patch the madwifi driver to support the new feature and recompile the driver....then I can build the batman module...
> > I need only some hint on what steps to take in order to compile the module...I doesn't seem so difficult but i wanna follow the right steps...
> >
> > Obviously if I don't waste your time.....
> >
> > Regards, Carlo

> > > From: lindner_marek@yahoo.de
> > > To: b.a.t.m.a.n@open-mesh.net
> > > Subject: Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
> > > Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:43:27 +0100
> > >

> > > Hi,

> > > currently I'm working on the batman openwrt integration. It is a bit tricky
> > > and I'm not 100% finished yet. It will be included in the latest kamikaze
> > > trunk. Either you wait some more days or I send you my current status.

> > > You can't use the standard configuration.
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> > > Marek

Conosci Doretta? Contattala, è ora su Messenger!
http://www.doretta82.it/banner/index.html

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
@ 2008-01-15 15:08         ` Simon Wunderlich
From: Simon Wunderlich @ 2008-01-15 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hello Carlo,

thanks for pointing that out, i cleaned the directory up and wrote a
little README. :)
The kernel module might still be a little unstable, but have fun
testing.

Best Regards
	Simon

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:41:19PM +0000, Carlo Beccia wrote:

> Hi Simon,
> thank you very much...much easier then I tought....probably I was wrong because of the madwifi directories into the svn repository....
> Ok tonight I will try....
>
> Thank you very much again...
>
> Regards, Carlo

> > Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:25:36 +0100
> > From: simon.wunderlich@s2003.tu-chemnitz.de
> > To: b.a.t.m.a.n@open-mesh.net
> > Subject: Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
> >
> > Hello Carlo,
> >
> > batman-adv-kernelland is currently not integrated in madwifi (this is
> > just another idea on our TODO list). You only need to compile the
> > batman-adv-kernelland/batman-core/ directory against your kernel.
> > This gives you the batman-adv-core.ko module which you can insmod and is
> > independent from madwifi (and any other driver).
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > 	Simon
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:59:00PM +0000, Carlo Beccia wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi Marek,
> > > thank you for your quick reply....
> > >
> > > I would like to compile the module...I don't need the complete openwrt integration...
> > > I would like to see and study your (you all) work on kernel space.....
> > >
> > > At the moment I have already build a custom openwrt firmware....but from what I understand I need to patch the madwifi driver to support the new feature and recompile the driver....then I can build the batman module...
> > > I need only some hint on what steps to take in order to compile the module...I doesn't seem so difficult but i wanna follow the right steps...
> > >
> > > Obviously if I don't waste your time.....
> > >
> > > Regards, Carlo

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
@ 2008-01-15 17:45           ` Marek Lindner
                               ` (3 more replies)
From: Marek Lindner @ 2008-01-15 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi,

> thanks for pointing that out, i cleaned the directory up and wrote a
> little README. :)

thank you for doing so. I hope it is more understandable now.  :-)

> The kernel module might still be a little unstable, but have fun
> testing.

Please give us feedback about your results - even the bad news.  ;-)

Greetings,
Marek

* RE: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
@ 2008-01-16 11:38             ` Carlo Beccia
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Carlo Beccia @ 2008-01-16 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi All,
thanks again....

I managed to cross compile correctly for my atheros target...really easier than I tought...

Stay tuned for tests report....as soon as possible I will start to do some test...

Do you have some stub for testing???

Regards,
Carlo

> From: lindner_marek@yahoo.de
> To: b.a.t.m.a.n@open-mesh.net
> Subject: Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Basic question
> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 18:45:43 +0100
>

> Hi,
>
> > thanks for pointing that out, i cleaned the directory up and wrote a
> > little README. :)
>
> thank you for doing so. I hope it is more understandable now.  :-)
>

> > The kernel module might still be a little unstable, but have fun
> > testing.
>
> Please give us feedback about your results - even the bad news.  ;-)
>
> Greetings,
> Marek

Conosci Doretta? Contattala, è ora su Messenger!
http://www.doretta82.it/banner/index.html

* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Multiple wireless interfaces
@ 2008-01-18 14:41             ` Predrag Balorda
From: Predrag Balorda @ 2008-01-18 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking'

Ok. Here is something batman doesn't provision for - dual-interface setup where
you want to create a duplex link (tx on one and rx on another). Duplex link to
one other node is simple (and has to be done manually), but how would we go
about creating a duplex link to 2 or more nodes? Or one simplex link to
downstream node and one simplex link to upstream node?
Example:

A = B   C duplex link (for example I need to talk from B to A fast and I use
both interfaces to talk to A)
A - B - C simplex links (I use one interface to talk to A and one to talk to B)
A = B/B = C duplex links for all links (I talk to both A and C duplex, but not
at the same time of course)

How do we do this with batman easily and dynamically (without having to manually
mess around with routing tables etc)?

* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] RE: Multiple wireless interfaces
@ 2008-01-18 14:46             ` Predrag Balorda
From: Predrag Balorda @ 2008-01-18 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking'

Another thing - think of this as quasi-asynchronous links, i.e. B can talk to A
on both interfaces (call them int1 and int2), but only chooses int1, and A does
the opposite, chooses the other (int2) to talk back to B.
If B has to talk to both A and C at the same time and can see A and C on both
int1 and int2 then it will choose int1 to talk to A and int2 to talk to C.

Maybe it makes sense now....

P.S. or maybe I'm just missing something

                               ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-02-11 10:03             ` Predrag Balorda
From: Predrag Balorda @ 2008-02-11 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking'

Has anyone thought about this "problem" recently?

To simplify - 3 routers, 2 adapters each, how do we establish duplex links
between each of those by using batman alone?

Or, 3 routers, 2 adapters each, how do we establish simplex links between each
of those such that one adapter links "upstream" and one "downstream" using
batman alone?

> Another thing - think of this as quasi-asynchronous links, i.e. B can talk
> to A on both interfaces (call them int1 and int2), but only chooses int1,
> and A does the opposite, chooses the other (int2) to talk back to B.
> If B has to talk to both A and C at the same time and can see A and C on
> both int1 and int2 then it will choose int1 to talk to A and int2 to talk
> to C.
>
> Maybe it makes sense now....
>
> P.S. or maybe I'm just missing something

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] RE: Multiple wireless interfaces
@ 2008-02-11 12:00               ` Axel Neumann
From: Axel Neumann @ 2008-02-11 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pele, The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi Predrag,

BATMAN does not really support that for multihop mesh networks. If you want
this behavior only for single hop connections you can cheat with batmand-exp
using the options:
--asymmetric-weight and the interface specific option /c

A smaller /c value (than the default) will apply a penalty to the detected
link transmit quality of an interface and the --asymmetric-weight switch can
then be used to tell the algorithm to be more reluctant to use links with a
bad transmit quality.

I successfully tested this in a simple wired two-node setup each with two
interfaces as illustrated below. Afterwards batman did set up the routing
table that a ping between node A and node B always chooses the upper link
from A to B and the lower link from B to A.

node A               node B
 eth0  -------------> eth0
 eth1  <------------- eth1

therefore I started on node A:
batmand --asymmetric-weight 2  eth0 /c 100 eth1 /c 50

and on node B:
batmand --asymmetric-weight 2  eth0 /c 50 eth1 /c 100

But be aware, that this will change the default behavior of batman and may
have negative side effects on the overall path detection in you mesh.

ciao,
axel