b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] 5Ghz ad-hoc network for batman-adv
@ 2015-11-06 13:02 Santiago Álvarez Álvarez
From: Santiago Álvarez Álvarez @ 2015-11-06 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi everybody,
I've been working for some time in testing batman-adv protocol with several
network topologies, and different network communications.  Right now, I'm
trying to build a batman mesh network over 5GHz wireless modules. However,
I'm getting errors when trying to configure the module to use one of the 5
GHz channels.

I'm using a module with Ralink RT5572N chipset. Searching in internet, I've
read a few comments suggesting that it's not possible to configure a 5ghz
module in ad-hoc mode due to some kind of regulatory reasons.

Any of you have managed to get batman-adv working over a 5 ghz wireless
network?

Thanks!

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] 5Ghz ad-hoc network for batman-adv
@ 2015-11-06 13:22 ` Simon Wunderlich
From: Simon Wunderlich @ 2015-11-06 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi Santiago,

On Friday 06 November 2015 14:02:01 Santiago Álvarez Álvarez wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I've been working for some time in testing batman-adv protocol with several
> network topologies, and different network communications.  Right now, I'm
> trying to build a batman mesh network over 5GHz wireless modules. However,
> I'm getting errors when trying to configure the module to use one of the 5
> GHz channels.
>
> I'm using a module with Ralink RT5572N chipset. Searching in internet, I've
> read a few comments suggesting that it's not possible to configure a 5ghz
> module in ad-hoc mode due to some kind of regulatory reasons.
>
> Any of you have managed to get batman-adv working over a 5 ghz wireless
> network?

yes, batman-adv on 5 GHz works for us.

There are regulatory limitations for the higher 5GHz channels, but channel
36-48 should have no restrictions for ad-hoc use - if your chip/driver
supports it.

I would suggest to first look into getting Ad-Hoc mode working without batman-
adv before continuing any further. You might need other sticks, but there are
definitely USB chips out there supporting Ad-Hoc (you may want to check out
ath9k_htc based ones).

Cheers,
    Simon

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] 5Ghz ad-hoc network for batman-adv
@ 2015-11-06 13:24 ` Markus Pargmann
From: Markus Pargmann @ 2015-11-06 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

On Friday, November 06, 2015 02:02:01 PM Santiago Álvarez Álvarez wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I've been working for some time in testing batman-adv protocol with several
> network topologies, and different network communications.  Right now, I'm
> trying to build a batman mesh network over 5GHz wireless modules. However,
> I'm getting errors when trying to configure the module to use one of the 5
> GHz channels.
>
> I'm using a module with Ralink RT5572N chipset. Searching in internet, I've
> read a few comments suggesting that it's not possible to configure a 5ghz
> module in ad-hoc mode due to some kind of regulatory reasons.
>
> Any of you have managed to get batman-adv working over a 5 ghz wireless
> network?

This depends on the regulatory domain you are in or using. In general batman on
5GHz works.

For example in Germany the lower 5GHz frequencies are free to use
indoors. And Ad-hoc works there perfectly fine (of course batman as well).
The upper channels require radar detection. This also means that the channel of
the ad hoc network has to be changed as soon as any radar was detected. This is
more difficult. I am not sure if any implementation for this exists in Linux.

Best Regards,

Markus

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] 5Ghz ad-hoc network for batman-adv
@ 2015-11-06 13:26   ` Bastian Bittorf
From: Bastian Bittorf @ 2015-11-06 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

* Simon Wunderlich <sw@simonwunderlich.de> [06.11.2015 14:24]:
> adv before continuing any further. You might need other sticks, but there are
> definitely USB chips out there supporting Ad-Hoc (you may want to check out
> ath9k_htc based ones).

can you suggest ath9k_htc usb-sticks with 802.11a/5GHz?

bye, bastian

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] 5Ghz ad-hoc network for batman-adv
@ 2015-11-08 11:51     ` tjhowse
From: tjhowse @ 2015-11-08 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

I can't help with your specific issue, but I have personally
configured an ad-hoc batman-adv mesh on 5GHz in Australia using
TP-WDR3600 routers.

@ 2015-11-08 18:22       ` Bastian Bittorf
From: Bastian Bittorf @ 2015-11-08 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

* tjhowse <tjhowse@gmail.com> [08.11.2015 19:08]:
> I can't help with your specific issue, but I have personally
> configured an ad-hoc batman-adv mesh on 5GHz in Australia using
> TP-WDR3600 routers.

it's all about 'ath9k_htc' which is for atheros _USB_ sticks.

bye, bastian